• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A couple pics from the races yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Great pictures. The dogs all look like they are having so much fun!

CarmieJo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Great pictures! Are there 7 dogs pulling it? I don't know anything about dog sledding, could you tell us a little about it?

Paris

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Thanks! These pics are from the wycolo race, there were 6, 8, & 10 dog categories- 12 & 16 mile categories also. There was also a junior division with mushers as young as 12- very cool to see the kids with their pups. I'm not sure why that one racer had 7...I realize, historically sled dogs have not had the best of lives but these mushers all seem to be people who love their pups - there for fun. There were veterinarians there checking the dogs before & after the race, in all a good time was had by all.

I waded through snow to my waist to get a good vantage point:)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They are beautiful dogs!

Matt

Markie

Strolling the yard
That's awesome! I would love to have a team of sled dogs one day. Of course, I would have to move away from south Texas :p

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
No you don't, Markie. When there is no snow on the ground they train the dogs and keep them in shape by pulling wheeled 'sleds'. But the dogs do look like they are having fun. Did you ever see pictures of Newfoundland dogs doing their water rescue work? They are used by a lot of towns on the Mediterranean Sea for water rescue and there is a Newfoundland club which organizes training and certification for the dogs and handlers. The giant dogs always look so happy when they are working as well.

CarmieJo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
I guess it is like our fids, they are happier when they have work to do.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Sure looks like they are having a blast!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
What awesome pics! They are in their element!!!:)

AubsterNzoo

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aubrey
That's awesome! I would love to have a team of sled dogs one day. Of course, I would have to move away from south Texas :p

I am working on having a pair of carting dogs and I live in South Texas, lol. One of my Giant Schnauzer does draft work (cart with 2 wheels or wagon with 4 wheels) and I will start my younger dog soon. Eventually the goal is to have them pull a sulkie cart (2 wheels with a seat) as a team and be able to control them from the "vehicle" like mushers do.

Attachments

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Great pics! Those dogs are beautiful!

Paris

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
I am working on having a pair of carting dogs and I live in South Texas, lol. One of my Giant Schnauzer does draft work (cart with 2 wheels or wagon with 4 wheels) and I will start my younger dog soon. Eventually the goal is to have them pull a sulkie cart (2 wheels with a seat) as a team and be able to control them from the "vehicle" like mushers do.

That's awesome!!

AubsterNzoo

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aubrey
I wasn't trying to steal the post but Markie posted about being in South Texas so i thought i would respond, lol. I LOVE sled dogs but i do NOT do cold weather and snow. Kudos to you to wading out waist deep in the white slushy stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.