• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent A couple concerns about my Lovebird

MangoTheLB

Meeting neighbors
It's been a couple days since I posted about my dearest bird, Mango making these weird noises when she's breathing and it seems as though it hasn't really stopped. She's laid her first egg a couple days ago and still has many more to come - from what I've heard from a vet I've been to. When breathing through her nose she makes these weird noses (similar to a dog whining or whimpering) and It's been worrying me quite a bit. The vet said that it may be due to the shock from laying her eggs since it's a first-time experience for her but I feel like there may be more to it.
Does anyone have any idea what may be causing her to breathe in such an odd way? Help is dearly appreciated!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The vet said that it may be due to the shock from laying her eggs since it's a first-time experience
Did the vet examine her in person?

I don´t know what to recommend here other than getting a second opinion from another vet if you feel something is wrong.

MangoTheLB

Meeting neighbors
I'm afraid not, it was a conversation over the phone. I worry that if I do take her there in person, she may get spooked by being in a different environment and start flying around which may risk her bumping into something and cause some egg-bound issues. Unfortunately the vet doesn't do home visits, which I would've opted for to prevent any accidents whilst taking her to the vet. I'm just going to hope that once she's laid all of her eggs this issue will clear up and there wont be any more concern. If her breathing issue is still the same well after laying her eggs, I'll certainly take her to the vet in person and see what the cause is.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
For now you can offer fresh veggies for vitamins and let her get plenty of rest. Hopefully it is as the vet said and she´ll be ok. Monitor her closely and if you see she deteriorates then I would personally take her to the vet.
Loss of balance, unable to walk, flailing, anything like that I would head straight to the vet.

MangoTheLB

Meeting neighbors
:woot2:Thank you for your help, just little update: I took her to the vet this morning and turns out she had a few issues with her egg which was the reason behind her heavy breathing but she managed to lay it after being put on a warm blanket with some of her favourite fruits. I bought her some vitamins to help her with her next few eggs (some calcium vitamins and such). So far she's improved from last night and is loving the vitamins I got her

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m so glad she´s ok. My youngest hen has trouble sometimes with egg laying, and twice I´ve had to take her to the vet for an injection. So now she eats only pellets (no seed) and gets supplements when laying.