• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Bunny??

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wooden Parrot

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
Ok I have an apartment filled with 9 fid's, two Collies and a husband and I'm now thinking of adding a bunny. My husband is OK with it (Oh I just love him to bits) and was even looking on pet finders with me. I've had Rabbits before many years ago and I have two indoor pens that would work great for a rabbit. It would be a house bunny. Am I nuts??? Was thinking of a Drawf bunny because the are so small but I saw two Lionheads for adoption and:omg: they are SOOO CUTE!!
Bunny people - any good sites for bunnies out there. I'd want to cathch up on all the new bunny care info.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
OOOOH...I'm going to watch this thread...I'm actually thinking of adopting one...a Lionhead, BTW.....

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
oh MY, however do you live in an apartment with all of those birds? My neighbors would SLAUGHTER me, haha

Jadie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jade
Bunnies are the awesome!! I love mine to pieces:heart: He's a little lemon though, he was a sick baby. He's an all black dwarf lionhead mix! I'd be happy to answer any questions you have :D. There are sooo many bunnies in shelters that need homes it's crazy. Mine in housed in a dog pen(http://www.plsuk.co.uk/ebay/dog_pen.jpg) So he has tons of space when he's in there(he's litter trained and has free run of the basement most of the time).
The house rabbit society has lots of great info! House Rabbit Society Rabbit Care Guide

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I love rabbits.
Negatives: They are very independent and most don't really like to be held or cuddled much. Some bite, especially rescues, some can be territorial. They have a specialized diet which most people don't provide. LOTS of greens, timothy hay, and only a very small ammount of pellets.
Possitives: They are fun to watch, it is very rewarding when they choose to get affection from you. I love when they binky (hop up in the air).
I had a rescue Holland Lop a while ago. He was free range whenever we were home and he'd always go back to his litter box to go the bathroom. He used to jump up on the couch to sit by me and watch tv but did not like being picked up. He never bit me but would dig on me. LOL He unfortunately got outside when I was letting my dogs out without me noticing. I thought he was hiding somewhere so didn't even realize he had gotten out until a few hours later. I tore my house apart searching for him and never found him, so I assume he got out. I had left the door open a bit for the dogs to come back whenever they were ready so that's the only thing that made sense.
He was extremely overweight when I took him from my mom who wasn't caring for him properly and it was very difficult to get him to eat healthily. We were still working on it when he got out. I never found him, but I'm hoping that he was found by someone and is still alive. We put fliers out, contacted several rescues, vets, and animal control with his description. We were never contacted.

Last edited:

Cannuck

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Danielle
We have 3 rabbits in our zoo! I find the lion heads high strung and nippy, but the mini rex are very gentle, yet active and very snuggly with amazing fur density!

Bambino

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Melissa
House Rabbit Society Rabbit Care Guide
My sister just got a bunny not too long ago.
He is such a sweetie but the pooping is getting out of control, once you clean one area there is another to clean:O
The only other bad thing is the scratching:(
He is onlya baby so his nails are really sharp but still to short to cut.
Besides that i can not think of anything bad with them, he is always begging to come out of the cage he is just so cute.
Here is a picture of him http://birdblog.tumblr.com/post/243923205/atlashttp://birdblog.tumblr.com/post/243923205/atlas

Last edited:

rocabird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
dawn
As others have pointed out, the House Rabbit Society's webpage is the best for information. There are links on there where you can find more good information like Carrot Cafe and Rabbit References.

Not sure where you are in PA, but there are several rabbit rescues in Southeast PA. And February is Adopt a Rescue Rabbit Month!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I use to have bunnies when I was younger. We had Bunnies and the birds but my parents said that due to financial constraints that either the bunnies or the birds had to go and I guess you know what I chose lol. I use to love my bunnies too! I understand my parents though. They always wanted to be able to give the animals a spoiled life.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
They are great pets and a good match with birds around. My worry would be the dog. Rabbits are at the bottom of the food chain and considered dinner by most other animals.

Last edited:

Terri

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Terri
I am not a bunny person but got hooked when I saw the Angoras. I too was interested in the Lionheads until I saw an Angora in person. I do not recommend breeders, however this breeder rescues Angoras as well and they are very personable and educate you on the breed. Very nice people...go to dustibunni.com

They just rescued 5 Angoras last week. The bunny I got is extremely friendly, loves to be held which is partly because they r handled all the time for grooming and is pretty big so the dogs don't even pay attention to him hopping around the house. He is bigger then the cats.

I had a dwarf years ago and I tend to think the smaller the bigger the attitude. He was extremely nippy. Good luck in your search.

NatureLover

Meeting neighbors
Before getting into adopting my birdie a few weeks ago I rescued a Holland Lop from Craigslist and as I drove home with my 2 year old in the back I had what I could only think was an asthma attack (never had asthma) and then I started to not be able to breath my throat swelled up and my face/chest/arms broke out in hives and I had to down half a bottle of liquid childrens liquid benidryl while I called my sister in law (shes an emt) and she told me I went into Anaphylactic shock. I gave the bunny away to my sister in law who has already started breeding him with her girl holland lop, Rosie. I had never been allergic to rabbits before b/c I had one for 7 years when i was 12 but apparently after having my child, she changed something in my system and now I'm deathly allergic. NICE! :( Which is why I got my bird, I'm very HAPPY that I am allergic in a way, because if I hadn't been I never would have gotten my baby bird, who I adore. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.