• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

a bunch of questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbsmomto1

Strolling the yard
Kia has been here 10 days now, and boy has she ever come out of her nervous shell. She is hillarious to watch climb around her cage lol. She is like a cross between a bat and a monkey lol. Some questions I have though.

1) is it normal to be so snuggly 1 minute than a mean bird the next? She can sitting on my shoulder, wrist, finger etc etc and be as sweet as pie and so loving but the next second she can do a 180 and be mean and bite etc. I figure this is pretty normal behaviour but wanted to be sure. She can be sitting so nicely with me and our poodle sleeping on teh couch and all of sudden she will leap off me and attack the poor dogs ear or lip ..for nothing, just give it a good chomp than come back to me. Poor Ruby doesn't know what to do (she would rather run away than bite but I'm sure if you tick her off enough she would bite)

2) when does a sennie go into puberty? and what can I expect from that? I don't have plans to breed him/her, but the pet quality will remain right? I had a grey that was wonderful than when puberty hit he started to become unmanagable, chew holes in my wall, scream, wouldn't let anyone near him ...but yet 2 weeks before he was so loveable with me.

3) Kia hates my 7 year old, I'm not sure that it's her she hates but more so b/c my kiddo cannot be seen when she reaches up to pet Kia. I have tried to get herto come from behind and hold Kia down lower but Kia still panics and trys to fly off.

4) About how old before they start talking, I don't care if s/he ever does but consdiering just how vocal s/he is I woudl be surprised if she never said a word. I think she can make budgie noises but thats probably just my mind.

5) She is NOT nice to our ysgcc, she will do anything she can to get closer than when she does she gets nasty, Kitty the gcc doesn't seem to get it and takes off to her cage anyway. Kia isn't hurting Kitty, but I have no doubt that if she were given the chance our gcc would suffer greatly. Is this normal for her to be so snotty?

6) S/he also cannot stand to be far away from me, if I go into the kitchen she is sure to follow and look for me a few minutes later. I don't say anything and put her back in her cage but she figured out how to open the door so she comes back. I bought a small lock for her cage and am going to use that but I wondered if there was a way to unteach her how to unlock the door.

7) her HUGE cage is coming this Friday so I am wondering the best way to convince her, its her new home. She would have only been in this one 13 days so it shouldn't be an issue to just stick her in it right?

I think thats all....Kia is a yellow vested sennie and will be 4 months old on the 25 and was handfed just in case knowing that will change answers.Thanks in advance for your input

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Kia has been here 10 days now, and boy has she ever come out of her nervous shell. She is hillarious to watch climb around her cage lol. She is like a cross between a bat and a monkey lol. Some questions I have though.

1) is it normal to be so snuggly 1 minute than a mean bird the next? She can sitting on my shoulder, wrist, finger etc etc and be as sweet as pie and so loving but the next second she can do a 180 and be mean and bite etc. I figure this is pretty normal behaviour but wanted to be sure. She can be sitting so nicely with me and our poodle sleeping on teh couch and all of sudden she will leap off me and attack the poor dogs ear or lip ..for nothing, just give it a good chomp than come back to me. Poor Ruby doesn't know what to do (she would rather run away than bite but I'm sure if you tick her off enough she would bite)

My sennie is like that on occasion, one minute he'll be all sweet and then WHAM! The wham usually comes if someone or something gets near me: hubby, dog, cat, kids one of our birds. Sennie's can be very possessive and if YOU are HIS person then everyone else better watch out.

2) when does a sennie go into puberty? and what can I expect from that? I don't have plans to breed him/her, but the pet quality will remain right? I had a grey that was wonderful than when puberty hit he started to become unmanagable, chew holes in my wall, scream, wouldn't let anyone near him ...but yet 2 weeks before he was so loveable with me.

Don't know the answer to this one. I don't notice my sennies or the other fids hormones since my Napes hormonal issues are so obvious, lol

3) Kia hates my 7 year old, I'm not sure that it's her she hates but more so b/c my kiddo cannot be seen when she reaches up to pet Kia. I have tried to get herto come from behind and hold Kia down lower but Kia still panics and trys to fly off.

Go back to question 1, Kia may see your child as a threat. Your child may end up getting bit so closely supervise.

4) About how old before they start talking, I don't care if s/he ever does but consdiering just how vocal s/he is I woudl be surprised if she never said a word. I think she can make budgie noises but thats probably just my mind.

Kiwi started making babbling noises right away. He's not my best talker and only says a few things clearly. The rest is just chatter and babbling.

5) She is NOT nice to our ysgcc, she will do anything she can to get closer than when she does she gets nasty, Kitty the gcc doesn't seem to get it and takes off to her cage anyway. Kia isn't hurting Kitty, but I have no doubt that if she were given the chance our gcc would suffer greatly. Is this normal for her to be so snotty?

My Sennie would probably do some serious damage to my gcc. Again, going back to the answer of your first question.

6) S/he also cannot stand to be far away from me, if I go into the kitchen she is sure to follow and look for me a few minutes later. I don't say anything and put her back in her cage but she figured out how to open the door so she comes back. I bought a small lock for her cage and am going to use that but I wondered if there was a way to unteach her how to unlock the door.

Doubtful, lol. Once they figure out how to open or escape from a cage they will continue to try and escape. Good luck.

7) her HUGE cage is coming this Friday so I am wondering the best way to convince her, its her new home. She would have only been in this one 13 days so it shouldn't be an issue to just stick her in it right?

You can gradually introduce her to her new cage by putting it near the old cage, encouraging her to explore the cage by putting her favorite treats and toys in it. Me, I've always pretty much moved the birds right into their new cages....I didn't have room to do the gradual thing. I did try to set up the cage as close to the old set up as possible, with perches in the same place, food and water bowls, toys etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.