• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A bird who doesn’t fit in

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hi everyone,

a few weeks back we lost our blind lovebird Xena. Us and her mate Maui were heart broken. They were an odd pair but very bonded. Maui was not eating well etc,pestering the other birds and looked depressed. We started looking for a female to console him. We don’t like the way breeders keep their birds around here. We prefer to adopt but Fischeri are not very common as pets, so we kept our options open. We were looking for one whose gender was known. A female would most likely be a good match. Maui seeks contact with every bird so we didn’t think his character would be a problem. We tried to arrange a meeting before hand, so the birds could meet and we could see if it was a match or not. This didn’t work out every time, unfortunately. Eventually we chose to pick a female bird that looked pathetic. There was one add with two birds clinging to the bars of a rusty cage. We weren’t sure if it was a breeder or neglect situation(turned out to be both), but the birds needed a proper home. They were said to be both female, so ‘perfect’.
He turned out to be a male after the disease results came back. We had it checked just in case. We named the new bird Sirocco. When Roc was declared completely healthy, we quickly introduced Rocco and Maui to the other two lovebirds as a pair. Rocco and Maui were together without quarantine, and already had been preening each other. I still found their relationship odd, perhaps that it because they are both males. Ever since maui saw henkie and Feanor again, he has been screaming practically non stop. Maui and Sirocco were in a room uncaged most of the day. In the evening they slept in separate cages. This went well but after he saw henkie and Feanor, Maui started attacking Rocco. We went back to seperate cages and limited time out together. The screaming didn’t stop, we decided to put all lovebirds in the same room. When Xena was still alive, Maui already was very clingy to Henkie and Feanor. I assumed because Xena was blind and wasn’t very active every day, so Maui would go on adventure alone and understandably wanted to be part of their ‘group’ as well.
now they are all in the same room, it isn’t enough for Maui. Rocco is accepted by Henkie and Feanor(gentle characters), but Maui, they don’t like him because of the following around. They are very gentle and mildly chase him off the best they can. Maui escaped his cage to annoy them. I didn’t know he could, I was watching them on camera and 2 hours after I left for work he had freed himself. I had a long day ahead, which was very stressful because I was afraid of accidents. When I got home thankfully no one was injured. But henkie and Fea were exhausted by Maui. I am wary of how this will be in the future. Will he ever leave them alone? We could adopt a female, but I don’t think a meaningful bond with a mate will stop him from seeking the other two’s approval. Having them in different rooms of the house, is not working at this moment. Perhaps after a few weeks the screaming will diminish, but what if it doesn’t? The way we prefer to keep our flock, is in a bird room without cages. Probably pairs will have to be caged when hormones are hard, but Henkie and Feanor I know very well and I know I can trust them in practically every situation. We have two budgies we hope to keep cage free in the same room as well. All four of them have very conflict avoiding characters. Maui is a different story. He doesn’t attack but is so persistent, that could turn into a fight. It is also not right to let the other two be pestered by him. Rocco I haven’t known very long but for now is very laid back. He is very scared and still learning to fly etc because he lived in such a small space. Maui probably will not be able to live in the bird room anymore(the four lovebirds were mostly cage free when Xena was still alive) or in a room next to them. They are now caged but still he keeps obsessing over them. We will give them time, but I have a lot of worries about his future. He is not a people bird, we are working on that but right now he reverted to a very flighty nature. The living room wouldn’t make him happy I think. I want all our birds to have a friend they connect with, preferably where they could pick their friend out of multiple birds. Maui and Rocco are not that, perhaps they will be friends in the future, but I want to consider the possibility Maui’s obsession with Henkie and Fea will not stop.In that case, I think the kindest thing for him would be a home with multiple Fischeri? I don’t want to consider that, but is he remains in love with especially henkie, his life can not be that great I think. I hope I can find some tips to discourage his behaviour. When they were separated after Xena passed because of his clingy behaviour, there was a lot of screaming but I assumed it was because he was alone. When Rocco arrived the screaming stopped for a day, but after that he continued. I still thought because ge wanted to be with them as well.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am sorry for the loss of your lovebird. Maybe @Zara will have some suggestions?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry, I have no advice.
I wonder if someone like @webchirp , @Birdbabe or @SandraK have had similar experiences with large flocks of same species, where one persists after another.

It is a very sad situation, it´s does tug at the heart to think he´s unhappy. I wonder if you tried again to find a female? But honestly, you could end up bringing home so many birds and none click. My Sydney was 5th time lucky.

I wish there was more help I could offer :(

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Sorry, I have no advice.
I wonder if someone like @webchirp , @Birdbabe or @SandraK have had similar experiences with large flocks of same species, where one persists after another.

It is a very sad situation, it´s does tug at the heart to think he´s unhappy. I wonder if you tried again to find a female? But honestly, you could end up bringing home so many birds and none click. My Sydney was 5th time lucky.

I wish there was more help I could offer :(
That’s what I am afraid of:( we are thinking very hard to bring home an actual female. It’s just that this behaviour was already present when Xena was his friend, it was manageable back then though. If we could go back to that they could be in the same room without big problems. I think Xena and him had a special bond, it will be hard to find that again. I do not think rehoming is a good option either, as will he not just continue the behaviour there and pass from hand to hand.. I couldn’t deal with not knowing that. I would bring home a female as we now have two males, chance one of them clicks is a bit bigger. We would go from 6 birds to 8 though. Manageable but not ideal, and considering they live a long time hopefully, not something to take lightly. In the future we would have wanted to adopt a pair of conures or something, that will not no so easy with six lovies and two budgies. We will see what happens the next couple days with complete separation from the other two. Perhaps he will calm down and it will be manageable after that. I am unsure what to do if not. I don’t nessicarily mind his clingy behaviour, but now he is so obsessive it has consequences for Henkie and Feanor. It stresses especially Henkie out a lot.

Last edited:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oiy, I agree with Zara on everything. Getting them to bond is difficult and you did the first steps that I would recommend, sep room with the ones you want to click. I personally would try paroxetine to see if it will calm him. I have had good results with several. Zephyr barbers his chest and had done well when on it...Giggie the mutilator and Dr. O wanted me to put Tosh on it to see if it would help her after her feather issues recently. Not so certain there but so far no reactions to the med and no noticeable or weird behavior changes.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Oiy, I agree with Zara on everything. Getting them to bond is difficult and you did the first steps that I would recommend, sep room with the ones you want to click. I personally would try paroxetine to see if it will calm him. I have had good results with several. Zephyr barbers his chest and had done well when on it...Giggie the mutilator and Dr. O wanted me to put Tosh on it to see if it would help her after her feather issues recently. Not so certain there but so far no reactions to the med and no noticeable or weird behavior changes.
Thank you so much! We will be at the AV tomorrow anyway so we can consult about it right away.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Well, it lasted for about 15 seconds but immense progress from before! He escaped when transferring from travel to normal cage. After that he went back to flock calling henkie and Feanor, but there is hope:)
1090E2C1-727D-484D-859B-A96766B520CD.jpeg 33A3DA76-4DFC-4732-A12C-F669415259A8.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh those photos are wonderful! They looks to be ok with each other there. Hopefully their relationship carries on building! :swoon:

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Maybe he just needed some ‘absence’ (separation) to make his heart grow fonder and calmer. Hope it works out for all.