• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A barbered feather or two. How much do I panic?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I really never thought I would be writing about this with Elvis. But he has barbered I think two of his wing feathers. I was trying to kind of lift them up this morning to see but was trying not to make a big deal out of it with him. So, I'm not really sure if it's 2 but definitely one. It's not a flight feather but the upper wings ones. I don't get it. He has always over preened his tail a bit. I'm wondering since he broke all of his tail feathers off (although he currently has 2 growing in) if maybe he's doing this out of some sort of frustration about his tail? Or am I reading way too much into it. He has toys that he regularly destroys. And when he's out, he has my full attention. We play and even if he's playing in his cupboard, he likes me to stand by him. So, I do. I'm looking into getting him a bigger cage. But I really unfortunately can't give him more out of the cage time during the week than I already do because of work. And I am a bit hesitant to give him a lot more over the weekend, although he gets some, because the only way I've been able to kind of control his screaming (which drives the fiance crazy) is to keep him on a schedule. I'm trying not to completely panic but when I saw the possible 2nd one this morning it did freak me out. Despite Elvis's rocky past, his feathers were pretty much perfect when he came to me- scruffy- because I don't think his diet was the best but not in really bad shape. And he still did the over-preening the tail. But now, he has broken tail feathers, battered wing feathers and barbering. I feel like I am failing him. Does a bird just do a random barbered feather here and there or is the start of a big problem? And why? And what do i do?

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I struggle with similar issues with Monaco. I'm almost certain she pulled a tail feather when she ran out of primaries last month. But, it did stop. It was hard, but I ignored it. The worst is trying to ignore the active chewing of her wings. I try to distract her in various ways. I hope we both find solutions.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Could it be older feathers that just got to the point where they aren't worth maintaining?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Could it be older feathers that just got to the point where they aren't worth maintaining?
I'm not sure. He has been molting. So maybe it was bothering him? It was weird though because the one feather definitely had chunks taken out of it. Maybe it all stems too from me being back to work and not working from home anymore. All 3 of the birds definitely want me in the room with them at all times. If the tiels didn't also like being downstairs during the day, I might just put Elvis in his upstairs cage for a change for him. But I don't want him up there alone and I think Rosie would be stressed staying up there. I don't know. Maybe I try it anyway and see. Maybe Rosie would be okay. I just don't like to do anything to stress my little old man Rosie out. (Elvis's upstairs cage is bigger then his downstairs cage.)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Galahad, my conure, overpreens and chews up the feathers on his belly, legs, and his nether region. Pretty much if he can reach it he will overpreen/chew it. I have started taking him outside in his travel carrier daily to get him a good dose of UV and it seems to really be helping. With him, I know it's anxiety, I was unexpectedly hospitalized for a few days in January and the barbering started right after. Hopefully this is just a random one off with Elvis! I know that sinking feeling when you think they are going down that road.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Galahad, my conure, overpreens and chews up the feathers on his belly, legs, and his nether region. Pretty much if he can reach it he will overpreen/chew it. I have started taking him outside in his travel carrier daily to get him a good dose of UV and it seems to really be helping. With him, I know it's anxiety, I was unexpectedly hospitalized for a few days in January and the barbering started right after. Hopefully this is just a random one off with Elvis! I know that sinking feeling when you think they are going down that road.
Thanks. I will work on getting him outside more. He really doesn't like it. LOL. I wonder how much sun he would get in his pack o'bird carrier, if I took him for a walk. He seems to get anxious being outside and wants to be on me but of course can't be because he's in a cage but he might like walking more. I really need to figure out how to get him harness trained. I hope Galahad stops soon.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
My cockatiel chewed on one of his tail feathers when hormones were at their worst. Hasn't done anything since. He's not a cockatoo, but I hope it's some consolation. :hug9:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
How old is Elvis again?
I know it's a very common problem with Goffins.
For years I had a beautifully feathered Sweden.
Then she starting barbering, then snipping, then pulling. :(
Over the years she's gotten better, then worse, then better again.
I've tried everything from vets, to sprays, to bigger cage, to more time out, etc...
I'm now resigned to a feather challenged Diva.
I wish I had some advice for you.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My cockatiel chewed on one of his tail feathers when hormones were at their worst. Hasn't done anything since. He's not a cockatoo, but I hope it's some consolation. :hug9:
Thanks. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How old is Elvis again?
I know it's a very common problem with Goffins.
For years I had a beautifully feathered Sweden.
Then she starting barbering, then snipping, then pulling. :(
Over the years she's gotten better, then worse, then better again.
I've tried everything from vets, to sprays, to bigger cage, to more time out, etc...
I'm now resigned to a feather challenged Diva.
I wish I had some advice for you.
He's wild caught. So at least 28. I suspect he's a bit older than that but it's just a hunch on my part. Sorry about Sweden. Elvis's feathers were perfect. And then he started breaking all of his tail feathers from rolling down the stairs. I really should have tried stopping him sooner from doing it. But all the feathers started breaking off at about the same time so it was too late to stop it. I'm wondering now too if that contributed to the barbering. That he doesn't have his tail feather to preen? So far, knock on wood, I haven't seen any new barbered feathers. They are such complicated birds. It's tough to figure things outs with them.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
They do say the wild caught's pluck much less, if any. Hopefully it's a one time affair with Elvis.