• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A BABY PAIR OF EKKIES

ALRAINBOW

Moving in
Real Name
ALFONSO
I HAve a pair I bought as babies
male and female.
Bonnie born 10/30/2020 female
Clyde born 11/15/2020 male

i have owned birds most of my life
Cackatoos
Cockatiels
African grey
Toucan
I very much would enjoy guidance
There seems to be so much conflicting info on them. Especially food.
These birds are not like any of them
Allow me to make a statement about each

Bonnie she runs things to a point
She does not act aggressive to him but does control certain activities
food intake is even on both of them
In fact he eats more often then her
He will take food from her at times
She messes with him daily not bad no blood but seems to be leader
She eats various foods I offer
Mostly veggies , pellets some fruit treats and lafbers seeds in round shapes
She uses her foot to hold certain foods he does not but does try to
She will jump on my hand pretty much always in fact if I’m near the cage she will go to be close to me.
now it seems she is bitting me at times
It happens when she seems to hyper active. I am aware of harmons and sugar
Sugar intake does seem to effect this behavior.
Both are in heavy molt now. So I’m feeding them in addition to norm
Mineral blocks
Corn on the cob
Almond and pumpkin seeds
this info I have read and I look forward to guidance
Lastly she is very very different then him in many ways.
I have read most like the male over the females. I can see why but like her the same as him.
She has much more outward personality be kid ness of aggression

Clyde
He is a very sweet bird does not bite but does jester is touched where is does not want
he eats food out if my hand and takes food as a treat same as her
But he does run from me to not be picked up much more then her. He takes food from her be it her foot or beak
while she seems to rule him it’s not always this way. they seem to like each other and do Interact all day amongst them selves
He is more timid more scard
Always lets her try things first

questions I have are first food
One guide is corn and boiled eggs
Next one caen not good
Eggs not good
I’m open to all and do need guidance

Next is her bitting while she does not break my skin or bones she clearly has an aggressive agenda in doing it. Yet she follows me to be picked up. I can tell when she will be more aggressive it’s in her actions
Help LOL.

My post was a quick post please excuse errors. I’m looking for guidance over all. I make no claims even though I have owned birds most my life. What I do know is minimal , I read a post from a dr I think he commented on tops brand food. 294 later I bought a bunch. Why variety for one but looking for better. My birds get fresh veggies daily very little frozen except sprouts . I have read so much and watched videos as well. These Ekies are not like any other birds I owned . In fact the only bird that was odd like them was a tocan I had for about a year. Not good pet to have by my standards anyway. I’m looking for discusión and help . Please help me make Bonnie and Clyde what they can be as pets.
I’m thanking any and all in advance

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Sorry, I'm no help. I've never seen- much less cared for, an Ekkie.
AA isn't busy right now, I'll try to remember to bump this thread in the morning. More people will be along then to help!

Welcome to the avenue!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
It's a lot to unpack! First, you won't see hormonal behaviors for a while, but it's good to get a handle on diet early. It will help.

Having both sexes in the house is going to be challenging to say the very least. Their natural behaviors are so different. Males definitely will eat more frequently, and usually are better at taking a wide variety. Females are fed by males for 9 months of the year in the wild. Their job is to be fierce and find/dig and defend a nesting site. As they get older you may have to separate them to opposite sides of the house out of sight of each other. You may not have to, but time will tell you what's necessary for everyone's safety and sanity.

I can't really tell what you're feeding now, but the thread called diet study in the Eclectus alley will help you build a good menu for daily meals and you can add to it as you have seasonal or favorite foods available. I feed a lot of frozen mixtures of fruits veggies and legumes. Tops are the only pellets I can find that aren't fortified. Ekkies just don't tolerate man-made vitamins, dyes, and soy. Corn is okay, but there are better options. On the cob, raw, can be fun enrichment. Egg a couple of times a month is fine, but I prefer plant based proteins. A few healthy grains and a few nuts or seeds for training are okay as well.

Please remove the mineral block right away! Unless you have testing done and are instructed by your vet to use supplements and which ones, you definitely should not offer them to your ekkies. It can cause severe inflammation and sensitivity, causing toe tapping and wing flipping and possibly organ damage.

I'm running out of time, let me know if I missed anything, and I will comment further tomorrow.

Quick edit to clarify their age... Hatched October and November 2020 or 2019? 4 months old or 16? I saw in another post 14 months, it makes a big difference as far as behavior goes.

Last edited:

ALRAINBOW

Moving in
Real Name
ALFONSO
clyde the male was born on nov 1 2020 bonnie born on oct 15 2020 . no more mineral blocks ty . ill compose a post of foods they eat and a list of what they like and dont . most listed i haver tried some near the top they hate . papaya is no go its removed or they will not eat the bowel of veggies . same for bananas .
a very big thanks for the input.
im going to make a good list and spell check foods i am horrible at grammar and speller. its an issue since child birth. i say this ahead of time cause the amount of effort on my side is big and i still look dumb and annoy some . its not done on purpose or neglect . ps i was born in nyc , usa its not a language issue lol its a me thing thanks all in advance for understanding .
i run several electrical contracting companies so our minds are very complex no doubt.
one thing i do notice of them on screaming is if my place a loft is silent or quite they are . they will MUDder , coo , laugh or cakle . its the tv , music , even me on the phone that triggers it . if i stop the lets say the music they stop fast and yes its both . i keep 32 db noise canceling headphones at my desk . they allow me to be on the phone and people hear me fine . it reduces ambient noise for me as well as clients . i can even play music to them . at some point im going to make a partition around there large cage to lower the music near them and lower there noises as well . they for most part as long as im home are out of there cage . they have a tree stand on wheels next to there cage as well to play and feed on . ill send pics soon and truly appreciate all input

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill

That thread is full of diet information. Also have a look through the stickies (the green threads at the top of the Eclectus alley section.)

Diet is a tricky business. Be prepared to keep offering foods that are rejected now. Think of it as a temporary rejection, "not today, thanks" as opposed to "no, never, ever."