• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures A baby at the pet store

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had to run to the store to get something for Morgan, but they didn't have it at Petsmart so (against my better judgement) I went to Petland, ie. The Land of Godawful Habitats.

Petland's one of the very few stores that carries large birds like 'toos and CAGs, but I've never seen a macaw in one.

Until today.

20190225_171411.jpg 20190225_170739.jpg 20190225_170954.jpg

What an absolute little darling, you guys. Obviously all baby macs are tiny gremlin angels, but dang. I've never met a macaw so young. And he's already the size of Taco! You weren't kidding about how big GWs are.

Of course since he's in a pet store he's pretty desperate for attention and affection, so I spent the better part of an hour chatting back and forth with him and providing an endless supply of scritches.

I love.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
He's adorable! I hope whoever buys him takes good care of him.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd loooove to bring him home, but it's such a double-edged sword buying at pet shops; on the one hand, you know that this baby will end up in a knowledgeable, dedicated home...but on the other hand, you're oiling the machine of demand and proving to the store that this species is marketable, which means more macaws being sold in stores. There's no winning. :(

Plus he's, you know, five thousand dollars. :eek:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
$$$$$ grand holy mac

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That would be cheap for a GW here in Aus.

I like the big price tags on them as it means that they hopefully will only go home with someone who is committed to providing the correct life for them. Doesn’t guarantee it but it certainly turns a lot of the poop heads away.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Petland is known for having prices that are unrealistic. They wanted 5000 for an english bulldog a few years back and I sadly put the puppy down and walked away.. That is also the store I bought my G2 from in 2012 that died a year later and had a disease and shortly after the store was shut down for selling sick animals.. this was in Missisippi. I hate their ways there. I hope that baby finds a good home.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
One of our local family owned shops has a baby blue throat macaw (which is one of my dream birds) buttttttt she is $4500.00. whew. if I'm going to spend thousands of dollars on a bird, I'm going to up the price and just purchase my ultimate dream bird. A hyacinth ;)

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You can always try to negotiate his price. I did that a couple of times and it worked!
Pet shop or not, all animals need loving homes. This little guy didn't choose to end up being
showcased there.

Look at his poor tattered tail feathers.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
This one is much better kept than the one that spent over a year at our Petland, severely clipped, in an open topped glass pen on the floor.
The Mr Pets where I live does that to the budgies they have for sale. They had supplies for larger birds, but after seeing that I refuse to go back.

I really wish we'd ban the practice.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
5K price Tag also means he may never get a home and just sit at that pet store being poked at by strangers for a year or more. And then what will the pet store do with him? I wish I was in a position to do something. I do wish they would stop selling these guys in pet shops. They are way too intelligent and needy for that.