• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A 10 gallon tank...

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
In saying that, I like African snails ;) Though I´m not sure how big a home they would need..
The pet shop had an escaped one last time I was there! It was trying to make a get away, but, as a snail, not doing so good :lol:

Be sure to slow down and research well. Just because you have a spare tank, doesn´t mean it needs filling asap.
I know what you mean. I did my research on them about 10 months ago, when they first had them, and was going to get one. The day I went in they had disappeared:(

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
In saying that, I like African snails ;) Though I´m not sure how big a home they would need..
A christmas tree tote :laugh:

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Be sure to slow down and research well. Just because you have a spare tank, doesn´t mean it needs filling asap.
You also need to make sure you will have the time to devote to whichever creature you bring home.

Most definitely, i have hermit crab knowledge strapped under my belt though dont worry

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Hmm, well you have some frog options in a 10 gallon. Pacman frogs can theoretically live in a 10, but if the frog ends up being female you'll need to get a bigger tank (and imo a 10 is too small for an active male). I believe tomato frogs have similar tank requirements. Josh's Frogs is a good frog info source.

Or if you wanted to go aquatic, there's African Dwarf Frogs. You could keep a pair in there, since they are social boys.

Also millipedes are really cool! I kept my millies in a 10, when I had them. I had a smokey oak and a bumblebee. There's a ton of options, I hope to have millipedes again in the future.

If you're gonna go for millipedes, Josh's Frogs used to sell them but they've not had them since December. Bugs In Cyberspace has a lot of different kinds of millipedes though, and I've bought some other stuff from them before.

The general rule for housing millipedes is that you want the tank to be at least twice as long as the length of your biggest millipede, and the width be as long as your longest millipede. So if you're keeping a colony, and let's say your biggest millipede is 6 inches long, you'll want your tank to be at least 12 inches long and 6 inches wide.

I've always wanted a Giant African Millipede, but I don't think there's really anyone breeding them, and it's illegal to import millipedes here in the states. Which is a shame because they're cool dudes.

(Image burgled from google of a Giant African Millipede)

Goliath-large.JPG

Last edited:

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Hmm, well you have some frog options in a 10 gallon. Pacman frogs can theoretically live in a 10, but if the frog ends up being female you'll need to get a bigger tank (and imo a 10 is too small for an active male). I believe tomato frogs have similar tank requirements. Josh's Frogs is a good frog info source.

Or if you wanted to go aquatic, there's African Dwarf Frogs. You could keep a pair in there, since they are social boys.

Also millipedes are really cool! I kept my millies in a 10, when I had them. I had a smokey oak and a bumblebee. There's a ton of options, I hope to have millipedes again in the future.

The general rule for housing millipedes is that you want the tank to be at least twice as long as the length of your biggest millipede, and the width be as long as your longest millipede. So if you're keeping a colony, and let's say your biggest millipede is 6 inches long, you'll want your tank to be at least 12 inches long and 6 inches wide.

I've always wanted a Giant African Millipede, but I don't think there's really anyone breeding them, and it's illegal to import millipedes here in the states. Which is a shame because they're cool dudes.

View attachment 355134
Thanks! Very helpful!

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie

View attachment 355134
I considered frogs, but I think I'm gonna wait till I move to get any. Also I'm terrified of millipedes from when I was little, but they're super cool! Thanks for the info!

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I considered frogs, but I think I'm gonna wait till I move to get any. Also I'm terrified of millipedes from when I was little, but they're super cool! Thanks for the info!
Frogs are cool! I feel in love with Pac man frogs a while back, but I would rather get a larger tank if I was to get one, so off the cards for no unfortunately.

Out I interest, could we see some pictures of Fuzzgig's set up please!

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Frogs are cool! I feel in love with Pac man frogs a while back, but I would rather get a larger tank if I was to get one, so off the cards for no unfortunately.

Out I interest, could we see some pictures of Fuzzgig's set up please!
Yes show us!!

Me too, I love frogs, I like tree frogs more though, especially White's.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Sure thing!

So when I got Fuzzgig, he was a tiny little boy so he did fine in the 10 gallon. I used to keep him on eco earth, but I wasn't a fan of how water-logged it would get.

So as he got bigger, I got him this TetraFauna tank, I think it's actually a turtle tank. It has the footprint of a 29 gallon tank, so I keep it on a 29 gallon metal stand from Petco. I got a full hood from Aqueon, which holds his UVB bulb and helps with humidity (I prop the lid open a bit to allow ventilation).

His current tank setup has a false bottom. I took pvc, cut it into several pieces (there's 9 in there right now but I have extras) and drilled holes to allow water to flow through the pipes. Those are the supports, I can move them around or take them out for cleaning.

On top of that is egg crate (or light diffuser), which is plastic and spaced 1/2inch. I ziptied plastic mesh (I'm not sure what it's called? It's that plastic mesh stuff you can get at Joann Fabrics) to it just to stop moss from going through.

Currently I also have a Tetra ReptoFilter in there, that was his gotcha day present lol. It flows into his water bowl, which then overflows into the false bottom. I change the water in the false bottom a couple times a week, since amphibians are super sensitive to ammonia and nitrites. Since the tank has a drain already built into it, I just use that to empty it (which it way better than having to dismantle the whole thing).

On top, he has some sphagnum moss (which I find holds moisture better without getting gross as quickly, some ceramic hides (which are actually candy dishes from target oops), some resin rock things (got them in the reptile aisle at petco) and his water bowl.

20200927_111303.jpg
20200927_111324.jpg
20200927_111340.jpg

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Sure thing!

So when I got Fuzzgig, he was a tiny little boy so he did fine in the 10 gallon. I used to keep him on eco earth, but I wasn't a fan of how water-logged it would get.

So as he got bigger, I got him this TetraFauna tank, I think it's actually a turtle tank. It has the footprint of a 29 gallon tank, so I keep it on a 29 gallon metal stand from Petco. I got a full hood from Aqueon, which holds his UVB bulb and helps with humidity (I prop the lid open a bit to allow ventilation).

His current tank setup has a false bottom. I took pvc, cut it into several pieces (there's 9 in there right now but I have extras) and drilled holes to allow water to flow through the pipes. Those are the supports, I can move them around or take them out for cleaning.

On top of that is egg crate (or light diffuser), which is plastic and spaced 1/2inch. I ziptied plastic mesh (I'm not sure what it's called? It's that plastic mesh stuff you can get at Joann Fabrics) to it just to stop moss from going through.

Currently I also have a Tetra ReptoFilter in there, that was his gotcha day present lol. It flows into his water bowl, which then overflows into the false bottom. I change the water in the false bottom a couple times a week, since amphibians are super sensitive to ammonia and nitrites. Since the tank has a drain already built into it, I just use that to empty it (which it way better than having to dismantle the whole thing).

On top, he has some sphagnum moss (which I find holds moisture better without getting gross as quickly, some ceramic hides (which are actually candy dishes from target oops), some resin rock things (got them in the reptile aisle at petco) and his water bowl.

View attachment 355138
View attachment 355139
View attachment 355140
Aww, that's a nice setup,and what a cute little guy! How big is he now?

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Sure thing!

View attachment 355138
View attachment 355139
View attachment 355140
i ADORE this!

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I really like the way the water overflows into the base, it's a cool idea!

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Love Fuzzgigs setup!
Are those sponge holders used as reptile hides? Genius!!! :loveit:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Horned toad

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Love Fuzzgigs setup!
Are those sponge holders used as reptile hides? Genius!!! :loveit:
They're candy dishes i got at target! I'm actually waiting for them to get all their Halloween stuff up to go back and see if they have more. My rule of thumb is if a plastic or ceramic item is marked as food safe, it's probably okay to use in a terrarium or aquarium.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Aww, that's a nice setup,and what a cute little guy! How big is he now?
He's a good chunky lad! I think he's about 4 inches, snout to vent. Here he is next to a chapstick for reference, since I couldn't find my tape measure! And another picture, from when he was a young lad about 4 years ago, the day I brought him home.

20200927_120044.jpg
FB_IMG_1601226223870.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They're candy dishes i got at target! I'm actually waiting for them to get all their Halloween stuff up to go back and see if they have more. My rule of thumb is if a plastic or ceramic item is marked as food safe, it's probably okay to use in a terrarium or aquarium.
Love them so much! It really adds a nice fun touch to his home :loveshower: And yea, I would totally trust the ceramic too :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Awesome setup Bee.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award