• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911: Emergency! Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaylayuh

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
My avian vet is closed until Monday and the emergency clinic in my area won't see avians. The closest one that will is in Philadelphia or Saylorsburg, and I have no car to get him there.

Piper, my 9 month old budgie male, has been regurgitating whole seed for the past 45 minutes. I'd estimate he's regurgitated about 1/8 teaspoon so far. He's never regurgitated anything before and I'm not sure if this is normal. He does have a female cagemate.

The seeds are whole. Literally, whole seed. Nothing milky or fluid, nothing digested. He's drinking, perching and otherwise acting normally.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal and, if not, what I can do about it until I can get him to the closest emergency clinic?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh dear,Im not sure. But I wanted to bump this up for you.

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Could be LOVE. I had a male lovebird who regurgitated PILES of seeds, daily. They were whole & slimy...sort of like they were coated in milk of magnesia. I'd come home and there would be a pile of at least 2 tablespoons there. He was my first lovie, and was a rehome. I took him to the vet, who found nothing wrong with him. I later learned that he was rehomed NOT because his first mom married a man with a toddler who wouldn't keep his fingers out of the cage, as I was told. She later fessed up that she got tired of piles of sticky seeds mucking up her furniture. He tried to feed me on a daily basis. When I wouldn't let him put it in my mouth, he'd try to put it in my ear :eek: Oh, he loved me sooooooo much. He'd also prove it by making "love" to my big toe...several times a day! :o: They don't call them LOVE birds for nothing. So, while I don't know about budgies, if everything else seems normal, he could just be in love. Watch to see if he tries to feed his mate. If he does, I wouldn't be losing sleep about it this weekend :D And again, talking lovies, my hen Johari was a wonderful little bird for about her first 8 months...then the hormones kicked in & she became a holy terror. So at 9 months, it's possible your baby is growing up. I hope this is all it is. :hug8:

Last edited:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

kaylayuh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
:huh: I've never ever seen my sweet little baby regurgitate before and I've always been told it's milky and wet, not whole! This could just be him trying to feed his female cagemate who's not in the least interested. Thank god!

I put him in the smaller cage for the night with no food to be safe, and he's trying desperately to get back to his cage with Pigpen, the female. I'm thinking I was overreacting and it's hormones kicking in.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Good information above!

Please keep a close eye on your bird. Make sure it is eating and drinking and check poops for size, color, consistency, noting if they are normal. Never worry about overreacting when you think your bird could be sick.

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Actually, thanks for caring. Not being aware of birds behaviors can really cause concerns and you are doing the right thing by asking the questions.

kaylayuh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
Okay, so I got a call back from the exotic vet at UPenn's veterinary center and was told that since his droppings are normal, breathing is normal, perching is normal and he's still talkative and active, that he's more than likely trying to love on my female budgie. They told me to give his food back and to put him in a quarantine cage away from the female so I can watch him. Since he's been away from the female, he's no longer regurgitating. But he is banging away on the cage door trying to get back to her. He also said that since budgies eat their seeds whole, it makes sense that they would regurgitate whole.

It looks like I was freaking out for nothing and my baby decided tonight was a good night to try and get some birdy action. :eek: He's only 9 months! He's too little to want a girlfriend.

Thanks for the fast responses, guys. I really appreciate it!

ja-nee

Real Name
John
Just saw you taked to U of Penn but if you Ever have a problem again here is a vet in NJ. Never had to use emergency call but always had great dealings with them.

Animal & Bird Health Care Center
1785 Springdale Rd.
Cherry Hill, NJ 08003
Telephone: (856) 751-2122

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen

It looks like I was freaking out for nothing and my baby decided tonight was a good night to try and get some birdy action. :eek: He's only 9 months! He's too little to want a girlfriend.
Try telling him that!:rofl: And it's typical that the hen isn't interested. It's one of the "rules" of courtship

Glad they called you back so you won't have to worry all weekend. But as mentioned by Big Blues, it's always best to ask sooner rather than later when you see a change in behavior. Illnesses can get out of hand very fast, so the "let's wait and see" attitude is a bad idea when dealing with birds. Have a lovely Sunday :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
our Baby Boy Blue often gurges whole seeds for his two lady friends and for my hubby..he is completely healthy and normal....glad your baby is ok. :hug8:

kaylayuh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
To be safe, he went into a quarantine cage with a heating pad. At the break of dawn as soon as he could tell it was getting light out, he started banging against the cage doors trying to get out. I opened the door and he flew like a bat out of hell back to Pigpen! He's currently trying to preen her and following her around everywhere. She seems less than amused... unless he's preening the pin feathers above her cere, then she loves it!

This all has made me realize I need to find an emergency avian vet that I can get to ASAP if ever needed. I also need some decent perches for my quarantine cage, which currently only has dowel perches. I'm also hoping that Pigpen continues to rebuff his advances and I don't get babies to stress out over! :eek:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Glad all is well. It's good to always look closer when your parront radar goes up and something worries you. Better to be safe than sorry. :highfive:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
So glad you are so aware of changes in your bird's behavior etc....U of Penn is the best! I am lucky I am only about 20 minutes from them (without traffic). Like you said, it would be wise to locate an emergency vet close to you just in case:)

Status
Not open for further replies.