• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

9 week old Quaker

Mary Bratti

Checking out the neighborhood
hi I just brought home a 9 week old Quaker baby. She seems happy and healthy. But she will not leave the bottom of the cage. She doesn't climb the cage or go on the perch. Is that normal for this age. When I picked her up from the breeder there were no perches in the cage and about 9 of the huddled on the bottom. Thanks in advance for your help.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Have you called this breed back to ask this question? Also please take the bird to an avian vet for a wellness exam to be sure all is well.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I *think* it's normal because I got to visit some baby quakers at a pet store, and they sat on a towel for a long time.

By, I think, around 8-9 weeks the store finally started putting them in a bigger cage with a soft (rope) perch very low in the cage, near the floor. I think 9-10 weeks is when they should start perching.

Have you tried setting up a perch really low in the cage for your baby to try? Does he or she perch on your hand or finger?

Eta* I just reread your post. I'm sorry that I missed that you have a perch on there. I'm not sure what to tell you but a vet exam is always a good idea, no matter what, when you first get a bird. Hopefully your baby will figute it out soon.

Mary Bratti

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you. I taught him to step up today. I think he doesn't know his own capabilities. Like jumping and using his legs right. I put him on the perch and he liked it but didn't know how to get off lol. Poor little baby.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A 9 week old quaker should be perching just fine. In fact, they should be flying around and landing well. However, if he was just kept in a small cage and clipped before being allowed to fly, he development might be delayed a bit. Make sure you have food on the bottom of his cage because he might not be smart enough to go up to his food bowls yet. 9 weeks is pretty young to be selling a quaker.