• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

9-week old macaw eating solids

mikamacaw

Moving in
Real Name
Mika
Hello!
I have my 9 week old blue and gold macaw some apples as he seemed uninterested in his toys. He loves them and has been playing non-stop with them but he’s also eating some, is this okay? Is he too young to be eating apples? He’s not refusing any hand-feedings.
Thanks for your help in advance! :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
9 Weeks is a bit young to play with toys but not too young to stick everything in their mouths. :D

Food is toys, safety in mind let him try any foods he wants. Veggies over fruit as you would rather not have a sugar addict but some fruit is good.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would think as long as he's still taking all his formula/hand feedings a few bites of soft fruits or veggies would be OK. I would suggest veggies over fruit tho. Do not push to wean him. Let him go at his pace. At around 16 weeks start offerring pellets. You can start offering in shell almonds around 20 weeks of age. By then his beak should be grown enough & he should have enough strength to start cracking them open.

mikamacaw

Moving in
Real Name
Mika
9 Weeks is a bit young to play with toys but not too young to stick everything in their mouths. :D

Food is toys, safety in mind let him try any foods he wants. Veggies over fruit as you would rather not have a sugar addict but some fruit is good.
It’s little baby toys, soft things he can just chew on. The breeder gave them to us but I’ll take it away if it’s not good!
Got it! I’ll offer him veggies instead of fruits next time! Thank you

mikamacaw

Moving in
Real Name
Mika
I would think as long as he's still taking all his formula/hand feedings a few bites of soft fruits or veggies would be OK. I would suggest veggies over fruit tho. Do not push to wean him. Let him go at his pace. At around 16 weeks start offerring pellets. You can start offering in shell almonds around 20 weeks of age. By then his beak should be grown enough & he should have enough strength to start cracking them open.
Yup, I’ll let him take his own pace. I’ll offer veggies instead of fruits next time. He still takes all of his 80ml feedings with no problem. Thank you for your suggestions and guidelines on what to offer him as he gets older!