• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video 8yr Old Milligold Macaw in Search of a good home...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunninThruLife

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Glen Decker
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. We are looking to rehome 'George', our 8 year old Milligold Macaw. George is our first parrot and is a wonderful bird. The only reason for rehoming him at all is 'his' need for only my attention. We purchased George from a man before we knew any better. We were told that 'George' was a male only to have 'him' sexed when we took 'him' to the vet and found out that 'he' was a she. We believe that this is where the possessiveness over me (the male) comes into play.

The reason that this is a problem is that it was not I that had been searching for a bird. My work schedule does not allow me the time that is necessary to devote to a bird. My GF has wanted a bird for quite some time and the previous owner let us believe that 'George' would be the perfect fit for her; when he really just wanted his fifteen hundred dollars and the extra room in his house.

It wasn't a day or so after we got George (we decided to keep the name in case it would be confusing for her to change it eight years into her life) that she became infatuated with me and developed a deep seeded hatred for my GF. However, it is not me that has the time, nor the desire, to tend to the bird; neither socially nor as a care giver. However, I have grown very fond of her. She is a wonderful bird. We have looked into training her, and are working through clicker training and anything else we can do promote a healthy relationship for all of us. But alas, we are at our wit's end.

George will go out of her way to be aggressive to my GF, but when I get home, she wants nothing more than to cuddle into the cradle of my arm. We've spent many nights holding hands, dancing around the living room with George on my arm (probably looking very silly through the window), and playing peek-a-boo with the 'other bird in the mirror'. She says a few words, but we can't make out all of them and I have posted a link to a Youtube video on this post so that everyone can see her. She is a loving and affection bird, but we don't feel like she is going to get the attention that she well deserves with us.

Can anyone help us rehome her to a loving family (man)?

Please help us. :(

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
You may want to post where you are located at.

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I hope George finds a good home. Is there any chance that your GF can try and court her ---treats, soft talking, attention. It really doesn't matter about the "sex" of the bird's preferred pal. Yes birds can favor one sex/gender and have profound preferences--- although that can change. But if the bird is , let's say female , it can be attracted to either male or female. With my flock my female sun has chosen me, and the male tiel adores my 90 year old Dad.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Awe, miligolds are very special birds, however the military in them makes them a bit difficult to handle. They can be nippy and a bit neurotic about change or new things. Phoenix is my favorite bird, he is just full of fun, silliness, love and cuteness. I hope your baby finds a wonderful home.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I understand about your situation. George has chosen you- like Cassie chose me. She devloped an extreme dislike for my wife, chasing her out of the room, inflicting very bad bites to drive her away from me. My wife tried so very hard to work with Cass, but nothing ever did change her mind.

Hoping you can find Goerge a great new home soon....

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
She's beautiful and a character! Is there anyway you'd still be willing to work with her? There's so many on AA who have experience, knowledge, and the drive to help each and every bird. I know you could find help here if you asked for it.

If you are truly finished, then I wish with all my heart she does find a long term loving home.

Jesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jesi
Yes I am. I am not too fond of military's to be honest. I had patactialy had the same issue our first macaw was a military (female) she had a female caregiver going threw a divorce at the time and she used a Cain to make sure she never bit anyone as she was afriad of the Cain probley beaten with it who knows But this lady had feed all her birds peices of m&ms once in awhile, she had a Greenwing, military, electis parrot and a blue frount she feed them a seed diet was a very good one to begin with. Cheza the military at the time was trying to bite us as we where in her home and was not use to us and doing what most macaws do. I ended up buying her cause I didn't like the fact that she was feeding them m&ms as treats witch is totally unexeptible and would of felt bad if I didn't as she might have died from it. We brought her home everything was good for a week hadn't stepped up for me at all witch I never expected it and the owner never made her step up when we where there. Well I went threw 7 months of working and hell with cheza trying to get her to step up and like me and I am her main caregiver. Bf never wanted anything to do with her as he dosnt care for birds. She ened up taking taking to him with in 2 weeks we got her. She was hell to me. I believe that the lady who we bought her off of was her husbands bird only as she likes men better and will only step up. Military's are quite stubborn too and playful.

Out blue gold we have is very chill and dosnt care who she goes to but is leaning on me most. I give your milagold is just set on men it may not change or it might.

RunninThruLife

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Glen Decker
I'd like to thank everyone for responding... at this point it's difficult to know which way to turn. We 'interviewed' so many people trying to find him a good home, but to no avail. We both care for her, she's a fantastic bird, but it's difficult to give that much attention to something that doesn't want anything to do with you. At this point, we have resorted to trying something different... I (the male), have stopped associating with her; though, I'm sure she's not very happy about it. I'll say hi, or something of that nature, an occasional pet as I walk by while she sits on the perch in the living room, but it is now my GF that is making all contact. We're hoping that the through deprivation of me, she will begin to accept my GF, and hopefully, one day, we'll all be able to live together happily. I kinda feel bad, but at this point, we don't know what else to do. My GF can't pet her, but she will 'Step-up' for, though it seems she's using her as a taxi to get to me. She will take treats from her, but there will be no petting unless I'm holding the bird. Any input is appreciated...

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Glen, start a new thread asking for help with her behavior.

Not too many members will be checking out a 'macaw needs home' thread, past the first glance they had at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.