• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video 8 weeks old GW macaw regurgitating formulae

maounm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aoun mahmood
Hello everyone. I switched my 8 weeks old GW’s formulae to psittacus high energy plus. Before switching he was getting 125ml three times a day now he is getting 100 ml 3 times a day. He throws out some feed sometimes eventhough i have decreased the total quantity. He just throws out some not all. He has developed habbit of bobbing his head though he dosent throw out food every time. Also, after feeding he want to gets out of his book and while trying to he throws out formulae. Whats the problem? Is 100ml 3 times a day enough?

Attachments

maounm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aoun mahmood
He has gained weight since last week when i switched his feed

maounm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aoun mahmood
A

Around 1230 grams
Gained around 100+ grams in last 10 days. Switched his formulae a week ago. If he gets 100ml of food his crop empties in 7-8 hours. He has developed habit of regurgitation After every feed except the morning one. I have further decreased the quantity of formulae to 90 ml 3 times a day. After afternoon feed and night feed he gets active and tries to climb out of the box and while doing that he throws out food. I understand paittacus has double the amount of fats than tropican ok which he was before.
Also when should i put him in a cage? Can i put his box in the cage so he can climb out and wander in the cage. A friend suggested this. He dosent perch yet btw. Please help. Thanks!

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
When I first started hand-rearing birds I was told to NEVER EVER change formula......But this was mainly for much smaller parrots (lovebirds) so it could be different. But maybe he just doesn't like the taste? If he is trying to climb out of the box you might want to put him in a baby cage (a normal cage that you set up to be baby-bird friendly). Good luck! It must be so exciting to be raising such a huge, beautiful bird!!!!

maounm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aoun mahmood
When I first started hand-rearing birds I was told to NEVER EVER change formula......But this was mainly for much smaller parrots (lovebirds) so it could be different. But maybe he just doesn't like the taste? If he is trying to climb out of the box you might want to put him in a baby cage (a normal cage that you set up to be baby-bird friendly). Good luck! It must be so exciting to be raising such a huge, beautiful bird!!!!
Indeed it is. A baby cage? Can i see a picture? Will he need bedding or he can walk on cage bars? I am thinking about removing the big perch in this cage and install lower perches and keeping him there. I am just not sure what should i do about the bedding.