• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 weeks Blue and gold baby

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Awww Tanga is way too precious :swoon:

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Hello everyone,

so nouf just gave birth yesterday to a very beautiful girl :) so we are kinda busy these days with the baby but last 2 weeks I noticed that tangi is back to cutting his feathers, even though we put all toys for him and I try to stay with him as much as we can, I really can’t determine the reason even though the food and nutrition are well how can we let him stop this habit? Should I buy the plucking spray.? @Macawnutz @macawpower58

Attachments

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
No, no plucking spray! Its a bottle full of nasty chemicals

If this was resolved you need to figure out what has changed and fix it. Often times this is not easy but we never once said owning a bird was easy. How about some foraging toys? Make him work for those treats and some food.

Congrats on the baby!

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Congratulations on the baby! Nice to see an update. :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I second no feather spray! Just plain old water in your spray bottle/mister.
A bit more misting/bathing may help.
I wander if Tanga is feeling stress from the before/during/after birth of your baby?
Parrots can be incredibly sensitive to our moods and stress levels.
I'm sure she noticed you are much more involved 'elsewhere' lately.
Perhaps try and give just a bit more attention than normal?
Explain (I know you'll feel silly) that a new baby is coming home soon.
My macaw loves photos, and I swear he recognizes people (my daughters) in them.
Share your life changes with Tanga. A photo of Nouf with baby, will stick in that feathery head. ;)

And a huge congrats on your new baby girl.
What is her name?

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
WELCOME to the new little one! I'm sure she'll like birds as much as you do! :heart:

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Hi everyone!
I second the opinion with stress, I was going to barber my own hair because i missed Tangawizi while in the hospital honestly :( after getting out of the hospital and seeing more of us the barbering stopped! And few days after I left the hospital & had him with me, my grown up Tangawizi decided to wean herself, ugh I’m so proud.
she’s been eating a lot more than usual, she’s playful as usual. I used to give her multivitamins and the feathering supplements few days a week with the formula now I add a little bit with her water.

She doesn’t mind the baby, I go and massage Tanga’s head (while she’s in the cage because I don’t want to risk her accidentally hurting the baby) while I’m holding the baby. I try to do everything around her be it eating or feeding the baby.
My only issue currently is her incredibly high pitch scream :wideyed: where she does it if someone plays anything on their phone or if there’s a group of people around her or if she hears the vacuum starting, so strange I know..I just don’t want her scaring the baby lol otherwise i wouldn’t mind it because I love tangwaizi the way she is:heart: after all I have two babies who I love unconditionally:heart:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yah, you know what is going to happen? That cute new baby of your's will get used to the macaw sounds. :rofl:

My son... Oh my he can sleep through 7 of them screaming for dinner. Never hears a thing. ( not because he is deaf either :hilarious: )
Your baby has been listening to it for months and now has the pleasure of hearing it for years. :D Welcome to macaw life.

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Yah, you know what is going to happen? That cute new baby of your's will get used to the macaw sounds. :rofl:

My son... Oh my he can sleep through 7 of them screaming for dinner. Never hears a thing. ( not because he is deaf either :hilarious: )
Your baby has been listening to it for months and now has the pleasure of hearing it for years. :D Welcome to macaw life.
Awh that’s really encouraging with your son sleeping in spite of the noise :roflmao: I guess i was unconsciously preparing my little angel since she’s in the womb lol.
its funny how I get an an anxiety attack when people talk loud around me but I don’t mind my Tangawizi screaming lol

thanks again for the reassuring:heart:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I used to babysit my Grandson when a baby. At first it was like he couldn't even hear the noise.
Then one day it's like his ears opened, and he was terrified of the screaming. :scrstf:
I had to pretend yelling was good, and get my little Grandson to understand how fun yelling was.
We'd sit in the livingroom and yodel with Chaos.
It did work, but he still (now 8 years old) would prefer a noiseless bird.

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Hi guys,

i noticed these couple of days Tangawizi having a bad breath! She never had one before. She’s 1 year 7 months old now.

lately she’a been eating peas carrots sweet-corn zucchini quinoa-pasta and wholewheat-pasta shea seeds Harrison’s pallets,treats: pistachio sunflower seeds pecans walnuts cheerios
I add multivitamins or feathers vitamins to her water every now and then.

as always your wisdom and experience are highly appreciated @Macawnutz @Hankmacaw @macawpower58

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Nouf If the odor is sour like something spoiled, be suspicious of a fungal infection in her digestive or respiratory system. If it is it's tim to go to the vet.

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
@Nouf If the odor is sour like something spoiled, be suspicious of a fungal infection in her digestive or respiratory system. If it is it's tim to go to the vet.
Thank you Hank, I’ll give it two days, because I eliminated a food item that I’m suspecting might be causing it, and will take her if it hasn’t improve by then.
I don’t know how to describe the smell, not spoiled but a bit like onion garlicky smell. I have read around people giving their parrots diluted apple cider vinegar or lemon. Is it something you’ve done before or recommend?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Less is more. ACV will not cure a yeast infection so don't add more smells to the mix.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Nouf - I never use vinegar other than to mop floors. If you research into the effectiveness of it as a disinfectant/mocrobeicide it is not very good at all. Vinegar use for birds is mainly one of those "old wives tales" that has been around forever.

Almost all birds get a little fungal infection at one time or another. The secret is too not ignore them and let them get out of hand. PS - bacteria can sometimes cause smelly breath.

Sarah is right, don't pile more smells on top of the one she already has.

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Just to keep everyone posted the smell disappeared after I stopped giving her the rice my parents made, apparently the spices it had caused the smell. too bad Tangawizi used to go crazy for it.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
@Nouf - I never use vinegar other than to mop floors. If you research into the effectiveness of it as a disinfectant/mocrobeicide it is not very good at all. Vinegar use for birds is mainly one of those "old wives tales" that has been around forever.

Almost all birds get a little fungal infection at one time or another. The secret is too not ignore them and let them get out of hand. PS - bacteria can sometimes cause smelly breath.

Sarah is right, don't pile more smells on top of the one she already has.
Q-- I thought there was discussion a month or so ago regarding usage of daily vinegar in water to prevent bacteria?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Pat H There have been many discussions over the years about use of vinegar for a disinfectant and for controlling microbes in a bird's water.
Some have stuck firmly by it's efficacy, but I'm completely convinced that vinegar has little to no effectiveness for these purposes. My belief stems from what I've been told by my vet and from the research I've done on my own.

Choose your own poison. It does not do much, if any, harm unless too much is used and it alters the Ph of the digestive system to a point where it interferes with the digestive process, but it is relatively ineffective as a disinfectant.

Last edited:

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Hi everyone,
So this time we are facing black or very dark green stool.
Nothing dietary has changed, energy is the same eating is good. She eats Harrison pallets and like them.

I’m attaching screenshots below. We can’t take her to the vet until the day after tomorrow:(
What do you think guys?

Attachments

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
We did stool test and thank god There’s no blood but the found some worms and gave her antibiotics for it
We are eliminating all his food and starting with formula then we will start adding fruit one by one until we find the culprit that changed her stool to green.