• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 weeks Blue and gold baby

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
What do I understand from this sound and behavior

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Most birds do not overly enjoy cuddling for great lengths of time and if they happen to like it then it will always be on their terms, when they want it and for how long they want it. Burt used to fall asleep on my knee all snuggled in every single day until he decided that was for baby birds. He does still snuggle for a bit sometimes and he even sometimes falls asleep on me but not everyday like when he was a baby who only knew how to eat sleep and poop.

It is good for them to do things alone and have some time on their own..... it is honestly not easy to hang washing or make a bed or even a sandwich with a macaw hanging off your arm and using you as a play gym so it may be alright and tolerable for a short time but it is quite disabling to you and sometimes dangerous to her if she never wants to spend some time on her own and I dare say it is not good for her mental health either, so cherish your quiet moments where she wants to explore her world without you.

You have to ask yourself what reason she has right now to want to come to you..... just because you want her coming to you does not mean she is going to be more interested in you then checking out the stuff you have on the other side of the room. She has so many things to check out and investigate that you need to make coming to you more interesting than all the other things and at this point that might be just a little bit difficult. They have a mind of their own and things they want to check out and do and this is very important to them to follow through with..... I personally would only be calling her to me if I was certain she was wanting to come to me.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Most birds do not overly enjoy cuddling for great lengths of time and if they happen to like it then it will always be on their terms, when they want it and for how long they want it. Burt used to fall asleep on my knee all snuggled in every single day until he decided that was for baby birds. He does still snuggle for a bit sometimes and he even sometimes falls asleep on me but not everyday like when he was a baby who only knew how to eat sleep and poop.

It is good for them to do things alone and have some time on their own..... it is honestly not easy to hang washing or make a bed or even a sandwich with a macaw hanging off your arm and using you as a play gym so it may be alright and tolerable for a short time but it is quite disabling to you and sometimes dangerous to her if she never wants to spend some time on her own and I dare say it is not good for her mental health either, so cherish your quiet moments where she wants to explore her world without you.

You have to ask yourself what reason she has right now to want to come to you..... just because you want her coming to you does not mean she is going to be more interested in you then checking out the stuff you have on the other side of the room. She has so many things to check out and investigate that you need to make coming to you more interesting than all the other things and at this point that might be just a little bit difficult. They have a mind of their own and things they want to check out and do and this is very important to them to follow through with..... I personally would only be calling her to me if I was certain she was wanting to come to me.
Doesn’t this mean that Burt is the aloha at ur home? Is that normal that they control your life not the opposite?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I do not understand what you mean by the aloha- I am not familiar with this term I am sorry. Can you explain what this means please?

He does not control my life and I do not control every part of his ;)
We work as a team and I am fair to him and treat him as a living being with choices, wants, likes and dislikes rather than as my possession. He does not always get what he wants and neither do I- this is normal life as far as I am concerned.
He now comes to me nearly every time (9 out of 10 times) I ask him to no matter what he is doing so I must have done something right with him or he would not want to work with me and make me happy and hang out with me.
At a younger age I did not ever ask him to come to me unless I knew he actually wanted to, this increased the chances he would learn fast what me asking him to come to me meant and of course he always got a ridiculous amount of praise for doing what I wanted and asked of him.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Ohhhh do you mean Alpha? I only just realized it was probably a typo, sorry for my misunderstanding there ;)

No, I do not actually believe that birds have a dominance need- this seems to be a human and some fur animal issue. Birds seem to take turns doing all things, so, I therefore feel like we are more equals in a relationship/ friendship than boss and servant type thing. If you try to over power a bird you will get a bad response in more ways than one- if you work with a bird you get so much more back and they give you much more communication and connection than you could ever imagine taking from them.

It is similar to how you will always get better results from positive reinforcement than you will from telling them off. Birds are not the same as humans nor dogs so you can not base interactions with them off the same kinds of norms or thinking. They do not want to be the boss of you- they want to be the boss of themselves and be a big important part of their flock.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Ohhhh do you mean Alpha? I only just realized it was probably a typo, sorry for my misunderstanding there ;)

No, I do not actually believe that birds have a dominance need- this seems to be a human and some fur animal issue. Birds seem to take turns doing all things, so, I therefore feel like we are more equals in a relationship/ friendship than boss and servant type thing. If you try to over power a bird you will get a bad response in more ways than one- if you work with a bird you get so much more back and they give you much more communication and connection than you could ever imagine taking from them.

It is similar to how you will always get better results from positive reinforcement than you will from telling them off. Birds are not the same as humans nor dogs so you can not base interactions with them off the same kinds of norms or thinking. They do not want to be the boss of you- they want to be the boss of themselves and be a big important part of their flock.
Ur smart ! It was a type actually, I really don’t know when I can start the positive reinforcement training, specially that my baby is super active and gets distracted easily from anything

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You have been positive reinforcement training from the start but now you want different things from her. To start reinforcing her to fly to you when you ask you must have something of high value to her. Since she is not really eating the best yet this may be difficult. I use pine nuts here. This is teaching to put on a harness, we practice with the loop of the leash to start.

I WILL LOOK AT MY BOOK TODAY, I KEEP FORGETTING SO KEEP REMINDING ME. LOL

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
You have been positive reinforcement training from the start but now you want different things from her. To start reinforcing her to fly to you when you ask you must have something of high value to her. Since she is not really eating the best yet this may be difficult. I use pine nuts here. This is teaching to put on a harness, we practice with the loop of the leash to start.

@Macawnutz @Macawnutz @Macawnutz guess what...

LOOK AT YOUR BOOK!!!! :D

BirdAtHart

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
@weko my baby, Loki, is just about 2-3 weeks younger than Tangawizi, And he is a Catalina, so half blue and gold. I find myself going through the exact same things that you are, so yes I think it’s all normal! Loki just started flying 3-4 days ago, and yesterday was the first time I set him somewhere and called to him to see if he would fly to me. He did try to come but he has no control over his flight so he ended up going above and past me, just like Tangawizi did with you. It’s difficult to do any formal training right now, as they are not interested in eating treats yet. When I am working with him on anything I just use praise and head scratches as reward. And I really don’t push anything at this point. I think at this age it’s just about spending time with them, cementing that bond, and allowing them to safely explore their environment. Trust me I definitely want to begin real training sessions but we have to be patient and let our babies get to an age where it’s more appropriate to do that. At least that has been my thought process on it. Perhaps others on here can say whether I’m correct? I actually had thought to ask on AA if there’s a certain age that you can start “formal” training, but I’m guessing they need to be able and interested in accepting a treat to do this?

BirdAtHart

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Oh I also wanted to add that Loki also doesn’t always want to come to get his food, even when he’s hungry. I took him down to 2 feedings a day just yesterday and he did great. He ate much more at each feeding, and in between feedings he showed a lot more interest in his fresh veggies and pellet type food. Even still though, when it was time for hand feeding, he didn’t “come” to me.. he just started doing the slow bob and wing flap thing and I brought the hand feeding to him. So I wouldn’t worry to much about her not coming to you when hungry. I think it’s probably normal.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko

My BB abu is not interested in any treats now, she just want to jump, yet she face problem taking small things from my hand due to beak issues, I’m still waiting for the feeding time, I don’t know if I should reduce the hand formula to 2 feeding per day or not yet.
@weko my baby, Loki, is just about 2-3 weeks younger than Tangawizi, And he is a Catalina, so half blue and gold. I find myself going through the exact same things that you are, so yes I think it’s all normal! Loki just started flying 3-4 days ago, and yesterday was the first time I set him somewhere and called to him to see if he would fly to me. He did try to come but he has no control over his flight so he ended up going above and past me, just like Tangawizi did with you. It’s difficult to do any formal training right now, as they are not interested in eating treats yet. When I am working with him on anything I just use praise and head scratches as reward. And I really don’t push anything at this point. I think at this age it’s just about spending time with them, cementing that bond, and allowing them to safely explore their environment. Trust me I definitely want to begin real training sessions but we have to be patient and let our babies get to an age where it’s more appropriate to do that. At least that has been my thought process on it. Perhaps others on here can say whether I’m correct? I actually had thought to ask on AA if there’s a certain age that you can start “formal” training, but I’m guessing they need to be able and interested in accepting a treat to do this?
Loki is doing better than my baby we are still at 3 feeding not interested in treats pellets or food just want to stand on our heads and regurgitate everywhere.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Loki is a different bird with different life experiences and Loki does not have scissor beak issues to learn how to navigate around which is a big hurdle and probably a slight confidence knocker for Tanga. Just like children they all learn at their own pace and considering Tanga has a slight disability to learn how to deal with that Loki does not have I think Tanga is doing just fine! I bet she will catch up and maybe even pass Loki's progress given some more time ;)

BirdAtHart

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
I’m sorry if my comments somehow made it seem like I was putting Tangawizi down in any way? I was honestly trying to be reassuring, just saying that I am going through a lot of the same issues. No Loki doesn’t have the scissor beak condition and I’m sure that definitely adds to the hurdles.
Loki does not take any food from my hand yet either. He will only pick at it from a bowl. And he doesn’t “eat” it, he mostly just holds it in his mouth a bit and throws it around.
again, just wanted to assure you that others with baby macaws are going through some of the same things and some of it is normal:) (I.E. the not flying to you when you call, or not wanting to come to you for food)
Last night for the first time he made the regurgitation head movement. He didn’t bring any food up, but it concerned me a bit that he acted as if he wanted to. Wasn’t sure what to do so I just put him down for a while to entertain himself. Anyway, I’m no expert and am learning myself, but know that you aren’t alone!

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Loki is a different bird with different life experiences and Loki does not have scissor beak issues to learn how to navigate around which is a big hurdle and probably a slight confidence knocker for Tanga. Just like children they all learn at their own pace and considering Tanga has a slight disability to learn how to deal with that Loki does not have I think Tanga is doing just fine! I bet she will catch up and maybe even pass Loki's progress given some more time ;)
I’m giving her all the time she needs I reduced the formula to 2 times only now let’s see how she will take it.

I’m sorry if my comments somehow made it seem like I was putting Tangawizi down in any way? I was honestly trying to be reassuring, just saying that I am going through a lot of the same issues. No Loki doesn’t have the scissor beak condition and I’m sure that definitely adds to the hurdles.
Loki does not take any food from my hand yet either. He will only pick at it from a bowl. And he doesn’t “eat” it, he mostly just holds it in his mouth a bit and throws it around.
again, just wanted to assure you that others with baby macaws are going through some of the same things and some of it is normal:) (I.E. the not flying to you when you call, or not wanting to come to you for food)
Last night for the first time he made the regurgitation head movement. He didn’t bring any food up, but it concerned me a bit that he acted as if he wanted to. Wasn’t sure what to do so I just put him down for a while to entertain himself. Anyway, I’m no expert and am learning myself, but know that you aren’t alone!
no worries I know that my baby is a very special condition

@Macawnutz

DBC24447-AD56-4A06-9FCD-C1EBE1CC29FC.jpeg
Sarah, since I added extra perch and a toy she don’t come down at all she don’t eat even though I put 3 types of pellets all kind of viggie change them every 4 hours and she doesn’t drink water at all, is that normal ?

Reactions: Ali

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It sounds like she is either frightened or unsure of the harness, did you work with getting her to be accepting and comfortable with the harness or just put it on her?

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
It sounds like she is either frightened or unsure of the harness, did you work with getting her to be accepting and comfortable with the harness or just put it on her?
Yes first few days we had great time wearing it suddenly she became crazy !

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Normal macaw noises :)

She is so cute :heart: