• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 weeks Blue and gold baby

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
@Macawnutz today she weighed 1064 i reduced the food to 50 cc and will be giving her 4 meals, or better keep it 60 cc for 3 meals ?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Just kinda gauge it off her. You are the one watching her and knowing when she wants food. You have the ranges and your vets recommendation. Just be aware that she is going to start losing weight at some point. They trim down to fly.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Just kinda gauge it off her. You are the one watching her and knowing when she wants food. You have the ranges and your vets recommendation. Just be aware that she is going to start losing weight at some point. They trim down to fly.
Yea I’ll be monitoring her, the vet point of view is that more meals = body can digest food more and extract all nutrients, he said I don’t like to see full Corp he thinks it makes the bird annoyed.

btw I asked u today about the location of your parrots inside or outside the home :) and if they are out how do u deal with hot summer and snowy winter

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My guys are indoors. They only go out on harnesses because I have strong flyers.

I'll try to find some cage photos since I moved or maybe I'll get a few when they wake up.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
My guys are indoors. They only go out on harnesses because I have strong flyers.

I'll try to find some cage photos since I moved or maybe I'll get a few when they wake up.
Thanks

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
@Macawnutz today she weighed 1067 I fed her 50 cc every 6 hours, health condition is good but kinda still not moving for food, even though she is trying to get on her perch and flapping her wings a lot.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Oh she is becoming a true beauty. What a treasure she is for you and your wife.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
She is really cute!

No, I don't like feeding 110cc at a time. Maybe you could get @melissasparrots to add an opinion but I'm not keen on that idea.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think 110cc is about the top end of what I'd feed a baby that size. But, it would depend on how well the chick was digesting and how many meals a day I give. Your baby doesn't look 4 months old to me yet. I'll admit I have not read this entire thread. When they are younger, I trend toward following the 10% of their body weight rule and feeding more often. Some people have good success with feeding more food less often. For a younger baby, you risk over stretching the crop more if you do that. It's less of a problem for an older baby. It looks like your baby might start going through the weight loss part of the process. In which case, smaller meals more often has always been what I did. But, I don't try to persuade the baby to eat more than it wants just because someone else told me that it needs to eat X amount of food a certain number of times a day. I let the chick determine the schedule. If it looks like its hit a decent peak weight at about the right age for the species average, I tend to throw out feeding schedules and just feed the chick when it's willing to eat. I have not hand fed a macaw. But, most species go through a phase when they aren't quite fully feathered where they don't really want to eat that bad. This is normal and depending on how fat the chick is, it will likely loose 10%-20% of its body weight. A few weeks after flying they can be really on again, off again about food. Lukewarm about breakfast and then omg starving can't get enough later in the day. It's during this time that I'm more likely to give just a little more food than usual. I probably would not go over 110g though for a 1000 g bird. And probably only if the bird is starting from empty and hadn't wanted much food earlier in the day.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
She is really cute!

No, I don't like feeding 110cc at a time. Maybe you could get @melissasparrots to add an opinion but I'm not keen on that idea.
I think 110cc is about the top end of what I'd feed a baby that size. But, it would depend on how well the chick was digesting and how many meals a day I give. Your baby doesn't look 4 months old to me yet. I'll admit I have not read this entire thread. When they are younger, I trend toward following the 10% of their body weight rule and feeding more often. Some people have good success with feeding more food less often. For a younger baby, you risk over stretching the crop more if you do that. It's less of a problem for an older baby. It looks like your baby might start going through the weight loss part of the process. In which case, smaller meals more often has always been what I did. But, I don't try to persuade the baby to eat more than it wants just because someone else told me that it needs to eat X amount of food a certain number of times a day. I let the chick determine the schedule. If it looks like its hit a decent peak weight at about the right age for the species average, I tend to throw out feeding schedules and just feed the chick when it's willing to eat. I have not hand fed a macaw. But, most species go through a phase when they aren't quite fully feathered where they don't really want to eat that bad. This is normal and depending on how fat the chick is, it will likely loose 10%-20% of its body weight. A few weeks after flying they can be really on again, off again about food. Lukewarm about breakfast and then omg starving can't get enough later in the day. It's during this time that I'm more likely to give just a little more food than usual. I probably would not go over 110g though for a 1000 g bird. And probably only if the bird is starting from empty and hadn't wanted much food earlier in the day.
Well i weighed her today she gained 10 more grams now we are at 1064 g, but what i notice when i feed her every 8 hours, is that the first 30 cc she will eat them easily but the remaining 30 cc, i have to give her 3-5 mins and then try to feed her she won't accept it not because she is not hungry just because she acts like she don't care u have to put the syringe in my corp not just mouth or i wont eat. as i was telling @Macawnutz she never ever shows any interest in food even if she is starving! every other bird, not just a macaw once they see a syringe they get excited and wants to eat, mine will show this once every couple days. I don't know what to do about it really, every other macaw bird follows their owners, ours like to stand in one place or lick anything she can that's why i introduced a new toy to her and she spends a lot of time on it i can say more than 40 mins now she is playing with it trying to bite it or lick it getting to know it. i really dont know when i can start teaching her target training or recall training, i have to call her name a million time yet she wont come to me.

Your video, that wing slapping she is doing, that's I'm tired and going to bed. ;)
she sleeps alot btw

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Today before the second meal she was doing this, what does it mean?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
She is a baby that has all her needs attended too. She doesn't need to run anywhere for anything. At this age she would still be in a nest of a hollow tree and have not left the nest.
Listen to me... Cherish this time. You only have a few more weeks before she is everywhere. Just be ready and macaw proof your house.

The video is her crop adjusting. They do that when they get air in their crops or if you rub their ears. If she does it often it can be a sign of a fungal infection

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
She is a baby that has all her needs attended too. She doesn't need to run anywhere for anything. At this age she would still be in a nest of a hollow tree and have not left the nest.
Listen to me... Cherish this time. You only have a few more weeks before she is everywhere. Just be ready and macaw proof your house.

The video is her crop adjusting. They do that when they get air in their crops or if you rub their ears. If she does it often it can be a sign of a fungal infection
I guess that’s what I will do from this day on cherish this time, and no she does it only once a day the time I’m taking care of her she isn’t doing that but she did something strange now, it’s like something is in her head she moves it very quickly and u feel like she loose balance for a min

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I guess that’s what I will do from this day on cherish this time, and no she does it only once a day the time I’m taking care of her she isn’t doing that but she did something strange now, it’s like something is in her head she moves it very quickly and u feel like she loose balance for a min

She looks kind of like she's trying to preen, but I'm not a Macaw person, that's just what it looks like to me.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
She looks kind of like she's trying to preen, but I'm not a Macaw person, that's just what it looks like to me.
She is a silly baby and learning how to preen and move. She will do many silly and stupid things while she learns.
Oh thank you, anything stupid she does it scares me so my wife and I becoming stressed something will happen to her