• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 weeks Blue and gold baby

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Hi everyone,
Today I gave Tangawizi a walnut apparently it was so old and so hard & to my surprise it broke her beak it bled a little then it stopped honestly I’m torn about because it’s my fault :(
I’m feeding her formula, or broken pallets or soft pallets at the moment
Any suggestion?
@Macawnutz @Hankmacaw @Shezbug

Attachments

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh Ouch! Can't say I've seen that one before. Beaks are bad nerve pain. Imagine a broken tooth.
Just make sure she is eating still and pain meds would be good if the vet can get them to you.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Major OUCH! I can't imagine how bad that hurts her. I'd suggest a call to your vet for pain meds. It will have to grow out a bit before filing even the sharp points off.

Stick to soft foods until it's healed & she's not in pain......cooked veggies, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, soft pellets, etc.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Aww poor baby.
That looks terribly sore. Hope you can get her some pain meds.

I’m always terrified of that happening but so far Burt and I have been lucky.

Hope it heals up fast.

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Oh Ouch! Can't say I've seen that one before. Beaks are bad nerve pain. Imagine a broken tooth.
Just make sure she is eating still and pain meds would be good if the vet can get them to you.
Oh poor baby :((
I’ll call the vet as soon as they open tomorrow, it’s almost 3AM over here :( do you know if there is any home pain killers I can use?

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Major OUCH! I can't imagine how bad that hurts her. I'd suggest a call to your vet for pain meds. It will have to grow out a bit before filing even the sharp points off.

Stick to soft foods until it's healed & she's not in pain......cooked veggies, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, soft pellets, etc.
I know :( it hurts to watch it :( specially when she’s chewing with the other side of her beak because it hurts :(
I will! Thank you for the suggestions

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Aww poor baby.
That looks terribly sore. Hope you can get her some pain meds.

I’m always terrified of that happening but so far Burt and I have been lucky.

Hope it heals up fast.
I know right :( I’ll go first thing when the vet clinic opens tomorrow :(
I never worried about this I though she’s know how to control the bite pressure I feel guilty too for giving her the stupid walnut :(

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
No, you did nothing wrong. Macaws eat nuts and they should not break their beaks on them. Ask your vet about that when you go tomorrow - if she should have broken it on a walnut.

@saroj12 Could you give @Nouf the information your online vet gave you about Motrin this morning?

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
No, you did nothing wrong. Macaws eat nuts and they should not break their beaks on them. Ask your vet about that when you go tomorrow - if she should have broken it on a walnut.

@saroj12 Could you give @Nouf the information your online vet gave you about Motrin this morning?
Thank you, the walnut (the kind that comes wrapped in a shell) apparently was so old i thought she would just play with it.
Today she’s not relying on her beak that much, made her scrambled eggs & mashed pallets and fed her with my finger and ate it all.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
You mean-- Black Walnut? Many times they come w/ little worms in them too. Not sure if the oil in them would be a little toxic, since some plants cannot grow under the tree because of the toxins. If I go thru the trouble of shelling those extra hard nuts, I do feed some to our birds. The crows love them after they get smashed in the road.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Black Walnut (Juglans nigra) is native to North America - it's been introduced to Europe and Asia but I don't think it's common outside ornamental collections. I've never seen the nuts available.

My guess is that this is Common Walnut (Juglans regia). The nuts are widely available, both hulled and in the shell.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Aww poor baby. I know that has to be sore. Hopefully he'll feel better soon!

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
You mean-- Black Walnut? Many times they come w/ little worms in them too. Not sure if the oil in them would be a little toxic, since some plants cannot grow under the tree because of the toxins. If I go thru the trouble of shelling those extra hard nuts, I do feed some to our birds. The crows love them after they get smashed in the road.
No, it’s a regular one but it’s been there for a while (I’m assuming). She usually cracks walnuts shells with no problem, but i gave her this one I found when we were at my parents house to play with I didn’t know it couldn’t be crackable.

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Aww poor baby. I know that has to be sore. Hopefully he'll feel better soon!
Thank you for your sweet wishes. She’s playing normally but she’s avoiding biting on anything hard & her toys :(

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
No, it’s a regular one but it’s been there for a while (I’m assuming). She usually cracks walnuts shells with no problem, but i gave her this one I found when we were at my parents house to play with I didn’t know it couldn’t be crackable.
Yes, I wouldn't think it was possible... she's a young bird isn't she?

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Yes, I wouldn't think it was possible... she's a young bird isn't she?
Hi pat; she’s a year and 4 months.
I’m suspecting calcium might not be absorbed because we are not exposing her to the sun daily so we started to do that.
She’s ok now play normally with the same activity level thank god

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Let's remember this bird has serious scissor beak. While this may not be normal for all macaws it very well could be a side effect from the scissor. If I recall that is her off side and it may not be as strong as the rest. Poor alignment could also have caused her to slip when she bit down. I'm not thinking it's cause for alarm unless it becomes a habit.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Oh my goodness, she is a well spoiled young lady.