• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 weeks Blue and gold baby

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Hi everyone,
So I used to stick my nose in Tangawizi’s belly whenever she’s on my shoulder because I just love her scent and hubby think I’m a weirdo for doing this :D
Anyway recently I noticed her scent is getting stronger (same smell but a lot of it) and I though it’s was the pregnancy hormones (yes Tangawizi is having a baby brother/sister) in 7 months :heart: however my husband noticed it too.

so can you help us determine what’s causing it?
Yeah she showered today and the scent is still the same, though usually it’s less stronger than this and it would go away after showering.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Do you have the windows open more now?

Macaws, especially BG have an odor that comes and goes. For me I notice it more if I take them outside or have a window open. I used to think of it as a scared smell as it was usually just at the vets office. It's a fresh air smell that seems to trigger it.

Reems

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Reem
Hello,
Sorry to ask you this in the thread but I didn’t find the option to DM you.
i noticed that you live in saudi arabia and i do too so i wanted to ask you if you know of any good avian vet in riyadh? Or any other city so i can contact them.
I have 2 galah cockatoos and 1 african grey and they are in good health but it never hurts to do check ups!
Thanks, nouf!

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Sorry I don't know anything about this but I have to say YOUR BABY IS SO CUTE!!!! I'M IN LOVE WITH HIM!!!! :heart::heart::heart:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:congrats5:

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Do you have the windows open more now?

Macaws, especially BG have an odor that comes and goes. For me I notice it more if I take them outside or have a window open. I used to think of it as a scared smell as it was usually just at the vets office. It's a fresh air smell that seems to trigger it.
I know the smell you're referring to, but it’s not the case, we open the window for ventilation but the smell also when it’s shut down.
Thanks a again :flowers:

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Hi,

i sent you a conversation with the details,though personally I don’t prefer taking my birds to the vet if nothing is wrong and they’re eating well no needs for unnecessary germs but that’s my OCD

best of luck :flowers:

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Sorry I don't know anything about this but I have to say YOUR BABY IS SO CUTE!!!! I'M IN LOVE WITH HIM!!!! :heart::heart::heart:
She totally is, isn’t she :heart:
Thank you :flowers:

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Hi guys,

Over the past week Tangawizi regurgitate 3 times while playing normally in the living room, and spat a rounded chunk of food I have attached a photo from today, sometimes it has sweet potatoes sometimes it was pallets.

is it normal? Did it happen to any of your birds before?

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Three times in a week is not a problem - macaws do regurgitate when they get too excited on occasion. That pellet looks quite dry and I would wonder if she is taking in enough fluids. Try feeding her some very wet foods. Keep an eye on her for a few days and if the regurgitation gets worse, it's off to the vet. It's always possible that she has a low grade infection that is causing it.

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Thank you for your prompt response
Three times in a week is not a problem - macaws do regurgitate when they get too excited on occasion. That pellet looks quite dry and I would wonder if she is taking in enough fluids. Try feeding her some very wet foods. Keep an eye on her for a few days and if the regurgitation gets worse, it's off to the vet. It's always possible that she has a low grade infection that is causing it.
Thank you tremendously for your prompt response.
So she gets around 45ml with her night formula and she drinks water during the day. I’ll monitor her and hopefully it’s just from playing & excitement.
I’ve attached another photo of when she regurgitate on sunday

Attachments

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Hi everyone,

Here is a video of our beloved Tangawizi relaxing.
we have moved to a new place and strangely she’s been afraid of everything because of the new place and would go to places she recognize (her perch, the fridge lol, the living room and any furniture we brought from our previous place) we are taking it one step at a time adjusting her so slowly at her own pace.

also check the newly grown tail :heart:

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Tanga is such a special girl - so very well loved.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If I have this right Tangawizi was hatched in March 2020? My B&G "JaKhu" was hatched in April 2020. So they are about a month apart age wise. I've enjoyed your posts about Tangawizi.

JaKhu is afraid of other people, but not so much new things. She really beat up her tail feathers as well, but instead of breaking them off she wore the barbs off, so all that was left was the center shaft. She now has a nice new long tail. She was heavily flipped when I got her, but her flights have since molted & grown in.

JaKhu was purchased, from a parrot store, at the age of 4 months & 11 days old. She had just weaned & was eating solid foods. She loves veggies, oatmeal, eggs, etc. She always puts some of her pellets in her water dish. She was cracking almonds at 5-6 months of age. It took her a bit longer to crack walnuts. I do wish I had been able to get her younger, like you did Tangawizi. She does like me to spoon feed her mushy foods like oatmeal.

JaKhu also tries to put things together. In her case it's small balls or toy parts into openings. She is very destructive & so far has destroyed pretty much all toys. Nothing is safe, LOL. She can bend metal links open. She's been outside a lot on warmer days. As long as the sun is out & it's 68F or above I take her outside. We have a large "L" shaped porch she loves to run around on. She's had a few short flights across the room since her flight feathers have come in. The other day she flew backwards. I need to get a stand & start doing recall training. She hates her harness. Soon the weather will warm enough we can put her & my other 2 parrots in our aviary for the day.

I've been working on trick training. So far she's learned rollover, wings up/big bird & dance. We're working on summersault, head stand & hop.

She loves laying on her back & spends more time on her back than on her feet. In her cage, on my lap, on the floor, etc. She loves her feet, head & neck rubbed. She loves showers, but on her terms. In the bath tub, flapping away as the shower sprays across the tub from a handheld shower head. I think she really likes getting me wet, LOL.

Other than a few screams a day she is mostly quiet or jabbering away. She doesn't spend much time sitting still. She's a feathered wrecking ball & a very busy bird, LOL.

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
If I have this right Tangawizi was hatched in March 2020? My B&G "JaKhu" was hatched in April 2020. So they are about a month apart age wise. I've enjoyed your posts about Tangawizi.

JaKhu is afraid of other people, but not so much new things. She really beat up her tail feathers as well, but instead of breaking them off she wore the barbs off, so all that was left was the center shaft. She now has a nice new long tail. She was heavily flipped when I got her, but her flights have since molted & grown in.

JaKhu was purchased, from a parrot store, at the age of 4 months & 11 days old. She had just weaned & was eating solid foods. She loves veggies, oatmeal, eggs, etc. She always puts some of her pellets in her water dish. She was cracking almonds at 5-6 months of age. It took her a bit longer to crack walnuts. I do wish I had been able to get her younger, like you did Tangawizi. She does like me to spoon feed her mushy foods like oatmeal.

JaKhu also tries to put things together. In her case it's small balls or toy parts into openings. She is very destructive & so far has destroyed pretty much all toys. Nothing is safe, LOL. She can bend metal links open. She's been outside a lot on warmer days. As long as the sun is out & it's 68F or above I take her outside. We have a large "L" shaped porch she loves to run around on. She's had a few short flights across the room since her flight feathers have come in. The other day she flew backwards. I need to get a stand & start doing recall training. She hates her harness. Soon the weather will warm enough we can put her & my other 2 parrots in our aviary for the day.

I've been working on trick training. So far she's learned rollover, wings up/big bird & dance. We're working on summersault, head stand & hop.

She loves laying on her back & spends more time on her back than on her feet. In her cage, on my lap, on the floor, etc. She loves her feet, head & neck rubbed. She loves showers, but on her terms. In the bath tub, flapping away as the shower sprays across the tub from a handheld shower head. I think she really likes getting me wet, LOL.

Other than a few screams a day she is mostly quiet or jabbering away. She doesn't spend much time sitting still. She's a feathered wrecking ball & a very busy bird, LOL.
aww she sounds incredibly adorable. I love how every bird has their own specific preferences.
Can we see pics please?

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
aww she sounds incredibly adorable. I love how every bird has their own specific preferences.
Can we see pics please?
Here's a few pics......As I said.....she's one busy bird, LOL.....

Here she is a few days ago fighting to get the harness off - her new tail has grown in now:
IMG_8282JaKhu Harness.jpg

Sleeping on her back:
IMG_8069JaKhu sleeping.jpg

On the porch ripping apart my hibiscus trees:
IMG_8079JaKhu Hibiscus.jpg

Swinging from the drapes trying to get to my U2's cage. We've moved the parrot tower further away since:
IMG_8278JaKhu swinging from the drapes Feb 2021.jpg

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Omg absolutely love her :heart:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran