• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 weeks Blue and gold baby

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
@weko you will be a great parrot owner :) Don’t you worry about that. Your bird will love you :)

as others have said, let the blood work be done. It can tell you about diseases your bird may have. A sick bird will never show it untill it is too late. Because parrots in the wild are prey animals, they will hide any sickness. Doing the bloodwork can tell you a lot about the health of your macaw. And ofcourse at the same time about the DNA, catch everything in one visit :)

Your bird will not be harmed by it, and she will not hate you for it, don’t worry :)
But you WILL gain important information that we otherwise may never know, untill its too late :(
Thanks a lot for the information I was worried that they will hurt her I don’t want anything to pain her. She stole our hearts, I take her out with me where I go and she is very excited

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I know you love that baby very much and want her life to be without pain or confusion, but there are things that we as adults must do to keep them well and happy. Getting blood tests is one of those things we need to make sure is done, so we can make sure they are healthy and know what needs to be done to keep them healthy.

I hope you take her back soon and allow the vet to do the blood tests. Here is a listing of problems that can be found with a blood test.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
I know you love that baby very much and want her life to be without pain or confusion, but there are things that we as adults must do to keep them well and happy. Getting blood tests is one of those things we need to make sure is done, so we can make sure they are healthy and know what needs to be done to keep them healthy.

I hope you take her back soon and allow the vet to do the blood tests. Here is a listing of problems that can be found with a blood test.

well i do want the best for her and all of you guys have been great support I'm taking her back to the vet tomorrow :)

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
So I found out giving tanga some water while she pants makes her better and cools off.

this is her playing with water then we played together for a bit.

After than she took a nap on my arm 627E7C07-8E17-42FE-BC06-764A13528D70.jpeg
Then I let her try some sweet potatoes

We played a bit then we fed her dinner time as usual I have to go to her majesty she won’t move only moan ‍♂ Now she is asleep

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
She's a sweet baby.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
She is such an inquisitive little treasure :heart:

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
That's pretty cute.

You are getting lucky there. Many babies won't touch food for quite a bit of time.
oh yes, her trust to us is growing day by day and that makes me happy.

today she weighed 1055g, she lost 2 grams. i fed her for breakfast 65 cc for breakfast and i think she wanted more but i didn't give her I'm thinking to increase it to 70 or 75 cc if that's okay. she is moving she is trying to drink water, trying to lick food.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
@Macawnutz @Hankmacaw @Shezbug

I found someone who sells java wood perches, but I don’t know which one I should get for my baby the small one height 80 cm

or the large one height 170 cm

or both ? I don’t know if a high stand will make the parrot think he dominates the place or it’s fine

E1EC97FF-57AA-46FC-AD84-7447DA3A0622.jpeg
4B2A8B28-EF1B-48DA-AD2C-FEA04E08B8FD.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I think you have plenty of time before you will need one of those for Tanga so no need to stress over which one to get yet...... The best height will be whatever best suits your needs. I have not noticed any changes in Burts demeanor regardless of where he is- he responds to me the same at my waist height as he does when he is up higher than I can reach. I have never noticed a dominance issue. Others may have experienced different but I honestly have seen no changes in Burts behavior with the height of where he is perching.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Buy two. :laugh: I'm a java tree hoarder. You want the tree with the most usable space. They don't often play on lower branches they like the highest spots. I don't believe in height dominance, you can just as easily have issues on the floor.

Truthfully she should not be hungry after a 70cc feeding. It takes them a few minutes to realize they are full. The book I quoted gives you all the ranges in amounts.

Today she is 68 days right? So she should weigh 965-1248 grams and be eating 70-100cc 2 to 4 times a day.
Look at the book. Tomorrow she should lose 5 grams. By day 71 look at the amounts. The maximum amount fed comes down and the trend of weight starts to fall. That is because babies will lose weight and their crop shrinks when learning to fly.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
I think you have plenty of time before you will need one of those for Tanga so no need to stress over which one to get yet...... The best height will be whatever best suits your needs. I have not noticed any changes in Burts demeanor regardless of where he is- he responds to me the same at my waist height as he does when he is up higher than I can reach. I have never noticed a dominance issue. Others may have experienced different but I honestly have seen no changes in Burts behavior with the height of where he is perching.
i have to be prepared from now.

Buy two. :laugh: I'm a java tree hoarder. You want the tree with the most usable space. They don't often play on lower branches they like the highest spots. I don't believe in height dominance, you can just as easily have issues on the floor.

Truthfully she should not be hungry after a 70cc feeding. It takes them a few minutes to realize they are full. The book I quoted gives you all the ranges in amounts.

Today she is 68 days right? So she should weigh 965-1248 grams and be eating 70-100cc 2 to 4 times a day.
Look at the book. Tomorrow she should lose 5 grams. By day 71 look at the amounts. The maximum amount fed comes down and the trend of weight starts to fall. That is because babies will lose weight and their crop shrinks when learning to fly.
i will buy 2 the short and long on.

what about this cage do you think its good? its 2 meters height and 1.5 meter width

ee1e780fc07a6657560e15c1461817a.jpg

the most important event of the day is that we went to the vet again and he took a sample from his stool and blood i think he hurt him :cry: the baby became upset after the blood sample from his feet. and he asked me to feed more meals less quantity at least 4 times each time 50 cc or 5 times each time 40 cc. what do you think?
2. he spoke about parrot showering and hi said that the water in Saudi is cured and high chemical, it will dry his skin and irritate it later and will lead to feather plucking, should i use deionized water? or is there anything i can do about it?

Last edited:

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Or this one? CB05A103-0E9D-4DAA-9EC2-6D1C54CD9854.jpeg

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't have a macaw, but I have been following this thread (mainly for the cute pics lol) and I think that the wider cage would be better because it has more room for a bird to spread their wings. I can't tell, but is the wide cage split in the middle? And if it is, can the divider be removed? Not sure if any of my advice is good though, because I've never owned a macaw. Hopefully the experts can wheigh in about the cages.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
I don't have a macaw, but I have been following this thread (mainly for the cute pics lol) and I think that the wider cage would be better because it has more room for a bird to spread their wings. I can't tell, but is the wide cage split in the middle? And if it is, can the divider be removed? Not sure if any of my advice is good though, because I've never owned a macaw. Hopefully the experts can wheigh in about the cages.
First of all thanks for the compliment.

second, yes it is and can be removed or installed depending on how many birds u got

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
First of all thanks for the compliment.

second, yes it is and can be removed or installed depending on how many birds u got
In that case, I would get that cage because it has more horizontal space, and I would remove the divider. Remember that your bird will need lots of perches to down low when she starts out in the cage. Also, until she is old enough and balanced enought to reach the feed doors, keep her food bowls on the floor or near the bottom of the cage.

I'll let @Macawnutz give you more advice, as I don't know a lot about large birds.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Hi,
We tried introducing carrots, peas & corn to our baby, which she handled very bravely however when

she managed to pick a pea and almost chocked on it! Should we stop this process all together until she’s older or we stop introducing this form of food and mash it instead?
my heart literally dropped when it happened thank god my baby spit it out.

also she’s progressing well with water we put some in a tiny bowl and she started playing and sipping with absolute joy!

thanks in advance life savers :)

This is her refusing us taking water away

mans this is her starting trust us and come towards us ( still not when it’s food time )

Last edited: