• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 weeks Blue and gold baby

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Okay, that is actual panting and I don't like it. Are you sure she is not overheated? Are you sure you do not have any perfumes, air fresheners, teflon, candles... any toxic substances in your home? New paint, new carpet, new furniture, new flooring, appliances, heating/cooling systems... Anything that could irritate her.

Super glad you are seeing the vet tomorrow. This needs to be brought to his attention.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Okay, that is actual panting and I don't like it. Are you sure she is not overheated? Are you sure you do not have any perfumes, air fresheners, teflon, candles... any toxic substances in your home? New paint, new carpet, new furniture, new flooring, appliances, heating/cooling systems... Anything that could irritate her.

Super glad you are seeing the vet tomorrow. This needs to be brought to his attention.
Yes I am 100% sure, she pants then she cools since we got her, maybe she is panting cuz we took her out for more vitamin D in the afternoon? Temperature is around 43-44, I even sprayed water on her she still pants and she does that everyday for a while.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
what is the best nail grinder i can use for my parrot? @Macawnutz @Hankmacaw @Mockinbirdiva @Shezbug

what else i do need to order from amazon, some high-quality accessories for my baby.

have anyone used dog toys for the parrots before?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes there are many dog toys that are appropriate for macaws. Just watch what they are made out and that they are safe for your bird.

I would recommend this rotary tool. https://smile.amazon.com/Dremel-300...remel+brand+rotary+tool&qid=1590015331&sr=8-3 My Dremel has lasted forever. but the grinding tools don't last all that long, so you will need several of these. It is the shape and size my vet uses.

Always use stainless steel bowls for her food and water, because they are easiest to clean, disinfect and are very sturdy.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Yes there are many dog toys that are appropriate for macaws. Just watch what they are made out and that they are safe for your bird.

I would recommend this rotary tool. https://smile.amazon.com/Dremel-300...remel+brand+rotary+tool&qid=1590015331&sr=8-3 My Dremel has lasted forever. but the grinding tools don't last all that long, so you will need several of these. It is the shape and size my vet uses.

Always use stainless steel bowls for her food and water, because they are easiest to clean, disinfect and are very sturdy.
do u have examples?

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
@Macawnutz today she weighed 1057G only gained 3 grams,

1. Is that normal?
2. When she see the syringe, she walks to me very fast but after her first 20cc she don't want to move or follow the food she wants me to come and feed her is that normal?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
She is normal. :laugh: Did you feed 70cc at all feedings?

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
She is normal. :laugh: Did you feed 70cc at all feedings?
yes i did, I'm doing 70-75 cc depends on how empty the corp is, today it was totally empty when she woke up, i gave her 75,
2. is it normal she is laying and playing with her feet ?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Awwww she’s found her feet!! :starshower1:
One of Burt’s favourite things to do when he was younger was play with his feet while laying down.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Awwww she’s found her feet!! :starshower1:
One of Burt’s favourite things to do when he was younger was play with his feet while laying down.
Thank god it’s not an issue then.
The only thing that I found all other birds parrots do except mine is following the food even though it’s been 8 hours from her last meal yet she isn’t excited about walking to the food. She walks the opposite way

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
@Macawnutz so we went to the vet, he took a look at her he wanted to do some blood tests and gender dna feather test but I didn’t allow him, I think she is still young for that. For the extra piece from the beak he said probably cuz she got deformity she keeps grinding in a strange way that’s why it happened. He said he won’t do any type of beak trimming. And asked me to give her a sun bath so she gets more vitamin D and to wait. For the panting problem, he said she is growing new feather and it’s really hot in Saudi and she can’t sweat so she is adopting, no problem but keep an eye on the climate around her.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt used to do this sort of stuff with his feet all the time :roflmao:

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Burt used to do this sort of stuff with his feet all the time :roflmao:
mine doesn't like to lay on his side or back at all! and as i said i don't know why she doesn't come to the food like any other parrot :wideyed:. plus she loves to stand near walls. is that normal >>>>

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
All the babies I have met have all been so very different from each other. They really do have their own unique personalities.

I am not sure if what you describe is anything to worry about so I will leave that for Sarah or one of the others to answer. She will learn the things she needs to know when she is ready I am sure.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
All the babies I have met have all been so very different from each other. They really do have their own unique personalities.

I am not sure if what you describe is anything to worry about so I will leave that for Sarah or one of the others to answer. She will learn the things she needs to know when she is ready I am sure.
As always Sarah to the rescue :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I would have allowed bloodwork. You don't need to do a DNA if you don't want to but I would have done bloodwork and a gram stain on her poop.

She doesn't run for food because she doesn't know you well, she doesn't have to fight her siblings to get the food. Korbel never ran for food. I picked his chunky butt up and fed him.
They are all different. Most babies don't switch homes at 8 weeks old. She will do things when she is ready.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
@weko you will be a great parrot owner :) Don’t you worry about that. Your bird will love you :)

as others have said, let the blood work be done. It can tell you about diseases your bird may have. A sick bird will never show it untill it is too late. Because parrots in the wild are prey animals, they will hide any sickness. Doing the bloodwork can tell you a lot about the health of your macaw. And ofcourse at the same time about the DNA, catch everything in one visit :)

Your bird will not be harmed by it, and she will not hate you for it, don’t worry :)
But you WILL gain important information that we otherwise may never know, untill its too late :(

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
I would have allowed bloodwork. You don't need to do a DNA if you don't want to but I would have done bloodwork and a gram stain on her poop.

She doesn't run for food because she doesn't know you well, she doesn't have to fight her siblings to get the food. Korbel never ran for food. I picked his chunky butt up and fed him.
They are all different. Most babies don't switch homes at 8 weeks old. She will do things when she is ready.
I thought I could prepare her to start coming to me so later when i teach her flying thing will go smooth