• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 week old pineapple conure hates formula

kmathews

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Karthika
Hi all, new pineapple conure mom here. My conure is 8 weeks and he is not interested in formula but munches on pellets non stop. Everytime I approach him with formula, he resists, spits most of it and even tries to bite me. The breeder asked me to feed the formula 3 times a day and my conure hates it. I don't know, is he weaned completely? How do I know?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello :)

Are you using the same formula? Same feeding technique? and same temperature?
It can sometimes be strange on the first day as you are a new person. Dimming the lights while feeding can sometimes help.

How long have you had this bird?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Did the breeder show you how to mix it and tell you the temp you should feed it?

kmathews

Real Name
Karthika

It can sometimes be strange on the first day as you are a new person. Dimming the lights while feeding can sometimes help.

I got him yesterday, I have been following all the steps my breeder told me. He doesn't socialize at all. He selected a corner inside our home and hangs out there all by himself. Am I doing something wrong? I had the same conure 4 years ago, he was completely weaned when I got him and we got along pretty quick. I feel like my new conure hates me lol.. May be I am judging him too quick? I will try feeding him in the dim light and let you know. Thankyou !

kmathews

Real Name
Karthika
Did the breeder show you how to mix it and tell you the temp you should feed it?
Yes he did. I fed another baby bird under his supervision and was successful. But the one I fed was younger than mine.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I feel like my new conure hates me lol.. May be I am judging him too quick?
Yes. Try to be patient. This is a very young bird, been taken from all they know and it´s a super scary time. New environment, new people, lots of things to adjust to.
Just keep trying offering the formula. Also, be sure you have water and some dry food available all th time in the cage, as well as offer veggies after formula and throughout the day.
Weigh your bird daily to monitor weight.