• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 week old lovebird won't eat from food dish

AllieVital

Moving in
Real Name
Allie
So I just got a new baby peach-faced lovebird bird. He's 8 weeks old and I've never had a bird this young before. I was reassured by the breeder that he was fully weaned but I've noticed that he shows no interest in eating from his food bowl in his cage. He'll sit on my shoulder and eat seed that I feed him (no interest in pellets) but he doesn't eat by himself at all. He seems to want to be close to me as much as possible. Is this normal for babies? I'm just worried if I baby him too much he won't learn to eat on his own. But on the flip side I obviously don't want him to starve lol. He hasn't been with me very long yet so he is still adjusting to his new home as well. So anyway, I'd love to hear advice from people who are familiar with baby lovebirds.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It´s likely your bird was weaned, but some do like a comfort feed when taken to a new home. Find out off the breeder what brand he was eating before (if they can give you a few tbsp would be great) and prepare some, offer it on a small spoon. After wards, point him in the direction of his food bowl.

You can also feed a little seed/pellet by hand, then start dropping the dried food in the bowl in front of him.

AllieVital

Moving in
Real Name
Allie
It´s likely your bird was weaned, but some do like a comfort feed when taken to a new home. Find out off the breeder what brand he was eating before (if they can give you a few tbsp would be great) and prepare some, offer it on a small spoon. After wards, point him in the direction of his food bowl.

You can also feed a little seed/pellet by hand, then start dropping the dried food in the bowl in front of him.
Thank you for the reply! Luckily I do have quite a bit of the food that he was eating with the breeder so I'll have to try the spoon method. He's very needy and wants to be with me constantly, which I don't mind but I wanna make sure he'll be okay when he needs to be by himself as well.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
At the moment he's just a baby and in a strange place, with strange people and without the comfort of other birds. It's normal for him to be unsettled and to want company.