• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 month old baby

Paulie

Checking out the neighborhood
I just got my baby boy - 8 weeks. He’s very sweet and cuddly, absolute darling! Any advice on dos and don’ts, this is my first Quaker, I have other birds. What should I feed him, he is pretty good about trying a lot of foods - I’ve given him cockatiel and budgie seed/pellet mix almond, pecan, boiled foods - egg, frozen veg, white rice, sprouted mung bean; cherry, grape apple, lettuce, spinach, bread. He tries everything and eats but I feel he is not eating a lot. Is he old enough to eat on his own, will he cry if hungry? Any suggestions on a cage. Anything specific i should put in his cage for him to sleep in. And anything else specific I should know about Quaker’s thanks you!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Paulie, Welcome to the Avenue :)

Have you tried offering pellets?

Is he old enough to eat on his own, will he cry if hungry?
Did the breeder not tell you if this baby is weaned? Your thread title says 8 months, but your post says 8 weeks. If he is 8 months old he will be weaned. At 8 weeks old, maybe.

Any suggestions on a cage.
Do you not have a cage? What is he sleeping in?

Anything specific i should put in his cage for him to sleep in.
Birds sleep on a perch. Either a cotton rope perch or natural branch. Start by putting it a little lower with a blanket on the cage floor in case he falls. Once he learns and his grip strengthens, you can raise the perch.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Average weaning time for Quakers is 12 weeks, though mine still begged for food when he came home at 3 months :) The reason they are called Quakers is the babies "quake" when hungry... They do the Quaker shakes!

Their diet should not include a lot of seeds or nuts as they are prone to fatty liver disease.

Paulie

Hello Paulie, Welcome to the Avenue :)
Thanks!
Have you tried offering pellets?
I have and that is one thing is doesn’t like. He has been eating and trying most of the fresh fruit and veg I offer and a seed mix too. I also gave him sprouts and almond/pecans.

Did the breeder not tell you if this baby is weaned? Your thread title says 8 months, but your post says 8 weeks. If he is 8 months old he will be weaned. At 8 weeks old, maybe.
I’m sorry he is 8weeks, he is weaned. Does eat himself mostly but I feed him too.

Do you not have a cage? What is he sleeping in?
I had a smaller cage, wanted to get a big one and I just got him one thanks!

Birds sleep on a perch. Either a cotton rope perch or natural branch. Start by putting it a little lower with a blanket on the cage floor in case he falls. Once he learns and his grip strengthens, you can raise the perch.
Thanks

Paulie

Average weaning time for Quakers is 12 weeks, though mine still begged for food when he came home at 3 months :) The reason they are called Quakers is the babies "quake" when hungry... They do the Quaker shakes!

Their diet should not include a lot of seeds or nuts as they are prone to fatty liver disease.
Thank you!