• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

7 week old bird splochy feathers

Leothebird

Moving in
Real Name
Lily
Hello i have a lovebird thats about 7 weeks old and he has no feathers on his head due to being attacked by bird when he was a baby. Thankfully his head feathers are growing back but that's not the main issue. 20221128_152442.jpg
Compared to his brothers and sisters his feathers have discolouration and is a bit splochy, however, his siblings have very smooth feathers with a brighter colour.
(If you realised his feathers are short that's because i had to cut them a little so he wouldnt fly to the chandelier everytime i fed him)
He also hunches down sometimes idk if thats a

Im really worried if he's not being fed enough or there's something wrong. He's getting off formula and starting to eat solid food.
What can i do?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@Zara I think this would better placed in lovebird Lane or baby bird area. Is this is a place for human wellness.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Compared to his brothers and sisters his feathers have discolouration and is a bit splochy, however, his siblings have very smooth feathers with a brighter colour.
Do you have more pictures?
Going off this on alone, he looks ok, given he was plucked as a baby.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry, I meant pictures of the other chicks.
I think he looks ok, given the damage he received. I would keep in touch with your vet to monitor progress, but hopefully he will lose the scruffy look once he moults into adult plumage, and just with time. The problem would be if the follicles are damaged, they might grow in weird for his life, or have some that don´t grow.
The colour difference could be due to the damage - the birds colour is all an illusion anyway, so if the feather is damaged in any way it will look different. Another possibility is there may be something in his mutations causing the difference.

stacey101

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Stacey
I honestly think the miscolorarion is the lack of feathers in x area. Once they fill in I'm willing to bet they will be more consistent

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I honestly think the miscolorarion is the lack of feathers in x area. Once they fill in I'm willing to bet they will be more consistent
Me too. My budgies look discolored like that when they’re molting, it had me freaked the first time I saw it :roflmao:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He´s looking good :)