• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures 7 legged wonder

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
At least the legs grow back. :spider: I'll :heart: him just the same :hehe:

Already eating so hopefully won't be long till he doesn't look as skinny. Doesn't have a name yet. Can you believe I'm running out of cute/food name ideas?

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I think his name should be NOPE.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
What a cutie! I'm not sure if I missed it somewhere, and sorry if I did, but may I ask...do you know what happened to his leg?

P.S. he looks like a Harry to me :)

Beth In Alaska

Real Name
Beth
I like Nope! Or Septon ( because sept is seven, right?)

What a beautiful fuzzy!! Love him!!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Glad he will regrow a leg. I wasn't aware they could do that.
I like spiders & they are very useful creatures but not sure if I would want one as a pet.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Glad he will regrow a leg. I wasn't aware they could do that.
I like spiders & they are very useful creatures but not sure if I would want one as a pet.

I have mild arachnophobia and worked in a pet store for some years. The owner made me handle the reptile shipment that had tarantulas in it, which involved moving very nervous tarantulas from their little plastic shipping containers into their enclosure. I'm sure she did it out of pure malice and reveled in my squealing when one decided to make a break for it up my arm. Never. Again.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Having had them (wild ones) jump out of boxes with old bottles stored in them in Uruguay, I may admire them but it is from a safe distance for me (like on this side of the screen). ;)

Septem (Latin for seven), Sete (Portuguese "setche"), Siete (Spanish "see-eh-teh"), Sieben (German), Sept (French) - enough sevens to choke a horse.

Last edited:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
What a cutie! I'm not sure if I missed it somewhere, and sorry if I did, but may I ask...do you know what happened to his leg?

P.S. he looks like a Harry to me :)
I'm not really sure what happened to his leg, I think it may have been lost in shipment but I'm not sure. The guy I got it from didn't want to put it on display and have to deal with comments and such from the general public (for obvious reasons, and I've seen some people do dumb things over tarantulas that I wish I didn't).

I have mild arachnophobia and worked in a pet store for some years. The owner made me handle the reptile shipment that had tarantulas in it, which involved moving very nervous tarantulas from their little plastic shipping containers into their enclosure. I'm sure she did it out of pure malice and reveled in my squealing when one decided to make a break for it up my arm. Never. Again.
I tended to do most of the reptile stuff when I worked in a pet store as well. Never had anything shoot up my arm accidentally, the guy I worked with did though. An orange baboon tarantula shot up his shirt, I don't have arachnophobia and that would've been a good way to get me half naked in public. Sounds like you probably weren't transferring things quite as venomous. Someone else lost a large Vietnamese centipede there, glad I never found it. Seeing as tarantulas tend to be fragile I wouldn't consider it a good idea to let people with slight arachnophobia in a position where they might come into contact with one in case it gets dropped (but that's just my opinion).

I did get bitten a bit by snakes, but I don't have ophidiophobia either so it's all well. Then again, pretty much every snake bite I knew I was probably gonna get bit. Being more carful around invertebrates for the past decade I've never been bitten by one.

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm OK with arachnids until they move. I have been known to let out squeals while doing ultra-feminine, hand-waving jump/spins if an unexpected one appears anywhere near me. I wish I could like them, but I am just too creeped out. Having a glass tank wall between us helps.

I appreciate people who do care for them, though. I used to have hermit crabs and no one could understand my love for them. Whenever one, who was missing legs when I got him, came up from a molt all perfect and intact with pointy toenails and hairy legs, it made me so proud to be able to provide the environment they needed to be perfect. I hope your creepy, hairy (gulp), tarantula comes out of his molt as perfect as possible. ;)

I think s/he should be named Fuzzy. It's one of my favorite words because you can't say it without smiling, and you need a cheerful name to offset the creepy factor. LOL

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I appreciate people who do care for them, though. I used to have hermit crabs and no one could understand my love for them. Whenever one, who was missing legs when I got him, came up from a molt all perfect and intact with pointy toenails and hairy legs, it made me so proud to be able to provide the environment they needed to be perfect. I hope your creepy, hairy (gulp), tarantula comes out of his molt as perfect as possible. ;)

I think s/he should be named Fuzzy. It's one of my favorite words because you can't say it without smiling, and you need a cheerful name to offset the creepy factor. LOL
Hermit crabs are adorable. I'd say unfortunately with a lot of other arachnids/reptiles/rodents not everyone that gets them actually knows what they're doing. Kudos to you for taking the time to do it right.

My last tarantula of this species was named Fuzzy, I'm being serious or else I'd have been all over that name. I went with the suggestion to name him Sprinkles yesterday to match another arachnid I have named Sparkles. This species was what started my passion for spiders so I have a soft spot for them. Most people won't recommend these as a first tarantula but I managed well and have no regrets. It was a bit before I plunged into the more venomous arachnids though.

I understand some people are afraid of spiders, just like some are afraid of birds, and I will respect those boundaries so long as you respect the animal in return and my passion to keep those animals. I'm glad to point out that this concern hasn't really been a major issue with others on AA.

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Taking care of the crabs exposed me to what it is like to care for a pet that doesn't care about you. That experience enabled me to be more patient and understanding of every other animal I've ever encountered. I sincerely mean it when I say I appreciate you for your caring for these creatures. I think it shows great character when a person spends time and money caring for a creature that isn't going to give any affection in return, and when having a creature thrive is the only goal.

Sprinkles is a cute name. It sounds so harmless and cheerful. LOL So...less creepy. Funny that crabs are cute to me but arachnids are not. I think it's all in the eyes. Crabs have amazingly cute eyes.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I think tarantulas are the cutest arachnid and seeing a spider groom their itty bitty feetsies is adorable :heart: but I'm biased. I can agree to dislike ticks and fleas.

Hermit crabs have such cute eyes, I'll agree.

Beth In Alaska

Real Name
Beth
Taking care of the crabs exposed me to what it is like to care for a pet that doesn't care about you. That experience enabled me to be more patient and understanding of every other animal I've ever encountered. I sincerely mean it when I say I appreciate you for your caring for these creatures. I think it shows great character when a person spends time and money caring for a creature that isn't going to give any affection in return, and when having a creature thrive is the only goal.
I agree with this! Owning geckos taught me to appreciate animals for their nature and not for the affection they give me. Still we had one gecko that was clearly fond of us- she was a hand fed baby due to some health concerns and loved to be held. she was my favorite. I like animals who like me. Some of the others - for example the parthenogenic morning geckos - are totally cool to watch but I am not attached to them in the same way.

My temperamental little Rio who bites to communicate clearly loves us- but I do prefer pets don't bite me. I am working hard to train other communication skills for her- but it's slow because nipping is natural for her. For example, if I ask her to step up and she has not pooped she will bite to say "not yet, dummy, I need to poop first". If she bites I just say "no biting, not nice" and take Poppper and leave the room. She is learning that just not stepping up and stepping away is a much better option than biting. If she does that I will tell her she is a good girl for not biting. Luckily she cares about being my good girl

Last edited: