• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

60 years old and cage bound (please help)

Icarus

Checking out the neighborhood
When I was in high school, I visited my best friend's house every single weekend. I was told, every single time, to stay away from the Yellow Crowned Amazon on the back porch, because she WOULD bite me and was vicious. She was never allowed out of her cage, because she nearly bit the owner's husband's finger off (the bone was visible all the way around) years before, and had no toys. Her perch was a sawed off plastic broom handle with sandpaper wired to it. Her name was Sunshine. And she was beautiful.

Since high school, I have moved in with my friend (now my fiance) to care for her aging grandparents, who owned the bird. I am now 26, and have finally thawed them out enough to allow me to let her out of the cage (even though she's only actually steped out onto the cage door twice in months). But she hates EVERYTHING (of course she does, after what she's been through). She hates ME. She's aggressive, and tries to bite me. She growls and pins her eyes, and flairs her wings forward. I sit near her cage for an hour a day, and speak and sing to her, and she has FINALLY started to let me feed her tiny slices of apple and banana, but only when the cage is shut and she's safe inside. Other than the few treats I give her, she lives off of a strictly cheap seed and raw peanut diet, and so is very overweight and I fear for her health.

After all of that background, now down to the questions.

As she has not been allowed outside of her cage for over 20 years, what is the likelyhood she'll ever feel safe outside of it?

Would changing her cage at this age stress her too much?

What can I do to get her off of this diet? Tips and tricks for her to accept her new food?

Will she, a 60 year old cage bound Amazon, ever trust me?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My zons were older, wild caught birds. Horrid diet. Cage bound (unknown amount of years).

After reading horror stories about pellet conversion.......had no issues here! I tried roudybush and zupreem. Zupreem also makes a monkey biscuit that my zons love to hold and crunch. You can soften that too with water or by adding organic tart cherry juice also.

Contact pellet companies you're interested in and ask for samples. Explain is an old Amazon you want to convert.

All birds are individuals.....but mine are coming out of their shell. It takes time. TIME the bird dictates, not you. But they're worth every second.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I'd park a suitably-sized cage next to her old one, hang one toy in it, put goodies in the bowl, leave the door open and let her decide when to climb on it, go in, etc.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
My male Blue Front Amazon had not been out of a tiny cage for about 10 years when we took him in. He had one perch, one bell and was kept in the garage, dishes were changed with welding gloves.
He didn't even understand the concept of stepping up onto another perch, he'd try to crawl under it ....the only perch he knew was the one he was always standing on.
But YES, he came around beautifully (and stole my heart completely), although it took 9 months for him to let me scratch him, and he became an ace flier.
Food treats, lots of praise and clicker training (positive reinforcement) are what did it.
We got him a huge cage asap and he wasn't scared by it and eventually used all of it, just go at your bird's pace. (name???)
It sounds like you ARE making progress already.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:bighug: Thank you so much for working with Sunshine! :marlenesmile: I always love reading about people who help birds or any animals out of unfortunate situations. Considering her background I'd say you've made huge strides already, and while she may have trouble expressing it, I just KNOW Sunshine appreciates it!

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
This makes me happy to hear someone care enough to make such big changes in a lonely birds world. You are a good person and patience and time will reward you and Sunshine. Please share your journey here. I’m sure we would all love to follow along.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Time and patience are the key. It may take lots of time. Months (or years). Thank you for caring.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He certainly doesn't hate you. He doesn't know you or have any reason to trust you. You have to earn that over time and there is no shortcut.

Your love and caring will heal many things. Not all things but many. Be patient and wait for it. Thank you for being this bird's saviour. There is no greater gift.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
It will take allot of time I'm going on 2 yrs with my girlie and its a slow go but we are making progress every day ...she was in a hoarding situation for about 6 yrs I was told and she is just beginning to trust me but its wonderful seeing her start to trust me more and more ...take it slow and let him go at his own pace and you will find that it will pay off ...best of luck :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you for helping her!