• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

6 wk Conure symptoms of illness

SnowB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Snow
Hi everyone :) I’m not sure if any of you are familiar with my situation with my bird but I’ll give a little background. So my Sun Conure is 6 weeks old, his name is Skyler. He is very playful, happy, and active especially lately when I took the advice of those in this community on how to properly hand feed my baby after I was misguided. However, in the past few days I have noticed “food splatters” on the tank glass, he sneezes quite often, and sometimes there is a clicking sound when he breathes. His breeder seemed to think those signs weren’t a big deal but I do. So today I did some research, came across aspiration pneumonia, and educated myself on it. Then made a vet appt. After that, Skyler refused his food tonight and I immediately contacted a vet and had a video appt (since the vet is already closed but **he has an emergency vet appointment in the morning anyway**). The vet I had a video call with said it sounds like he has aspiration pneumonia and the “food splatters” are actually vomit splatters. But she also said Skyler was very alert and playful on camera and he is not on the verge of dying but needs vet attention tomorrow. **He is going straight to the vet to be physically examined very first thing in the morning.** I would just really appreciate some advice from personal experience on this matter :)

***Please refrain from ranting about how I should not have an unweaned bird if I am inexperienced. Those comments are unnecessary and make me feel awful. I now understand that it is wrong for breeders to sell unweaned babies and I am aware of the risks. I bought my bird in innocence and with honest intentions. I strive to provide the best care and I am willing to go to the ends of the earth to give him a long, healthy, happy life.***

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Just bear in mind for as long as you own birds that anything involving the respiratory system is SERIOUS and need vet attention immediately. Nothing you can do about the unweaned chick issue now, other than spread the word and hope that no one else makes this very dangerous / heartbreaking mistake.

Get him to the vet and go on from there. We have many people who will help you day to day on this forum.

FYI how delicate and involved a bird's breathing is;

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope he's okay. Keep us posted please.

SnowB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Snow
*Just an update:
My Skyler was hospitalized for the day. The vet said he has a 75% chance of living but I’m not sure if that percentage is based on how well I care for him when he comes back home. His crop will be flushed out and he will be given antibiotics. He was very active and playful while I waited at the vet. I know birds hide their illnesses but he doesn’t display any changes in personality such as lethargy or depression. He also appears to be healthy and strong; his feathers are so beautiful, vibrant, in good shape, and they are growing by the hour every day. I feel like he will be okay but I still worry about leaving my baby at the vet. I have never left his side at all :( I am waiting to hear back from the vet on what he finds in his tests. So far, there is some fluid/food in his lungs that can be heard. We don’t know if there is any infection settling in yet.

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
He is at the best place he could possibly be. Your vet sounds as if he//she is in their toes. Do exactly as the tell you.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Glad your vet managed to squeeze you in so fast! Fantastic. Wishing for a smooth recovery :)

I know birds hide their illnesses but he doesn’t display any changes in personality such as lethargy or depression. He also appears to be healthy and strong;
It really is incredible how well they hide illness and injury. Most folks wouldn´t believe it without seeing it with their own eyes.

SnowB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Snow
Glad your vet managed to squeeze you in so fast! Fantastic. Wishing for a smooth recovery :)

It really is incredible how well they hide illness and injury. Most folks wouldn´t believe it without seeing it with their own eyes.
Thank you! My vet updated me on Skyler and it turns out that he has bacteria in his crop from eating his feces! I did catch him nibble at his poop last week out to play with it! I always keep his tank squeaky clean with fresh towels and paper towels throughout the day and a clean stuffed animal to cuddle with but it’s hard to keep it completely poop free :( Skyler’s crop was flushed out with antibiotics and he is being sent home soon

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I wonder if that stemmed from his hunger and the watery ratio, low quantity advice you were given RE formula.

fresh towels and paper towels
Do you not line with shavings? Aspen or couurse pine? With shavings you can spot clean easy enough through out the day and completely empty when it needs cleaning fully.

That´s great he can come home soon :)

SnowB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Snow
I wonder if that stemmed from his hunger and the watery ratio, low quantity advice you were given RE formula.

Do you not line with shavings? Aspen or couurse pine? With shavings you can spot clean easy enough through out the day and completely empty when it needs cleaning fully.

That´s great he can come home soon :)
That’s what I was thinking too! His breeder just told me that it’s normal for them to eat their poop but I think my poor baby must have been hungry.

I have never used shavings. I didn’t know I could do that. I will definitely buy some shavings immediately. Thank you!!

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand
*Just an update:
My Skyler was hospitalized for the day. The vet said he has a 75% chance of living but I’m not sure if that percentage is based on how well I care for him when he comes back home. His crop will be flushed out and he will be given antibiotics. He was very active and playful while I waited at the vet. I know birds hide their illnesses but he doesn’t display any changes in personality such as lethargy or depression. He also appears to be healthy and strong; his feathers are so beautiful, vibrant, in good shape, and they are growing by the hour every day. I feel like he will be okay but I still worry about leaving my baby at the vet. I have never left his side at all :( I am waiting to hear back from the vet on what he finds in his tests. So far, there is some fluid/food in his lungs that can be heard. We don’t know if there is any infection settling in yet.
your breeder didnt think it was a big deal, dude, dont even contact that breeder again. you have us :)

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Wow, really hoping he continues to improve after you bring him home!

dawnregina

Moving in
Real Name
Dawn
*Just an update:
little sweetie.. Plenty of cool boiled water, always good they know you, I have a baby conure 10 weeks, with curly feather.. good luck.