• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures 6 month old Parrotlet isn't getting comfortable

MJ88

Moving in
Hi there,

I've had my bird, Rango, since December 9th, he was originally located in my living room but now is in my room since he was unable to adjust there.

Things are better but also worse in some ways.

Good:
  • I'm now able to give him millet from the side of the cage bars
  • I can go close to his cage and sit right next to him without him freaking out by flying all over his cage (he still breathes heavily though)
  • I can change his food and water without him freaking out (trays can be taken out from cage without putting my hand inside - he's definitely still scared of my hand if it enters the cage as he freaks out)
  • He's a bit more comfortable with my presence, he really enjoys when I play music while singing to him - I interact with him as much as possible and I'm always in my room
Bad:
  • When he eats and drinks from his two trays he's always in a rush because he has to put his head down into the tray, making him feel vulnerable
  • He rarely feels comfortable to approach his food or water by himself, he needs me to talk or sing to him with music playing to feel motivated to do so
  • Almost every morning without fail he will have an episode in which he gets scared of the bird noises outside. He starts talking very loudly and flies around his cage, eventually he sits on top of his toy and keeps motioning his head out the window to tell me he's afraid of the birds (he can't see out of the window because the blinds are always closed - tried having them open at the beginning but he freaks out at the sight of birds). I've started ignoring him during this episode and it helps a bit but this can last hours either way...it's weird because it only happens in the morning then he gets over it.
  • I have no idea how to get him outside the cage...we haven't been able to let him out since he isn't tame. The past few days he's started falling asleep during the day out of inactivity and I feel horrible because I genuinely am clueless.
Some places I read that it's ok to put your hand inside the cage as long as you don't approach them and just keep it still for them to get used to. Other places said not to since it's an invasion of their space and that they're territorial. Despite him not being tame and still being afraid of me, I am planning to open my cage door to see if he will come out in his own time - do you think this is a good idea? Any advice on the best approach? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Thank you for the pictures, Rango is a cutie.

You two have just barely met so please know that it will take awhile before he becomes comfortable around you. It sounds like he is getting there.

I just want to ask something: Is his cage on the floor? For some reason it looks like you are standing over his cage and getting his picture from that angle. I know birds like to be high up, they feel like they are more in control. And are you sure that he is scared of the outside bird noises or is he excited by them?

You may want to approach him a little bit closer each day to see what his comfort level is and if he starts acting uneasy then back away a little bit. You can certainly let him out of his cage but be prepared that it may take time for him to want to go back in. As far as his excitement episode happening in the morning?- that is true for most birds. They are the most vocal in the morning and early evening. I don't think you need to lull him into eating or drinking, unless he is sick he is not going to starve himself.

MJ88

Moving in
Thanks Jamie!

I saw that others were able to tame their bird within their first month, and for me it's been almost 4 months yet it's all happening very slowly, so became concerned.

His cage isn't on the floor, it's on a table. I'm usually sitting for most of the day so we're always at the same level except when I'm standing. But that's an interesting point, maybe it'll be better to get a taller table for him? I'm pretty sure he's scared of the noises because he only starts yelling, goes really thin and sits on top of his toy when he's scared. When he's happy and excited he's more puffy and isn't yelling.

I'll try letting him out of his cage soon, would you recommend a particular approach for this? I was thinking to open his cage door and put a perch somewhere in the room for him to land? Maybe put a treat somewhere in sight? I'm unsure.

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
I'll try letting him out of his cage soon, would you recommend a particular approach for this? I was thinking to open his cage door and put a perch somewhere in the room for him to land? Maybe put a treat somewhere in sight? I'm unsure.
I have a parrotlet also, but she is now 1yr. Having them higher will be better. I would also put your baby to a different side of the room away from the window and see if that will help.
If your unsure about her eating I would take her to the vet for a check up to make sure she is ok.
Leaving the door open with a perch is a good idea so they have something sturdy to sit on and flee back Incase she wants to. Maybe hang millet so she can build up the courage to come out and eat that delicious treat lol like the other member stated it takes time a day in a week or only minutes to the birds compared to us eventually she will come around and you will be able to witness the fun goofy terrors of the little parrotlets!

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Speaking of placing a perch outside of the cage when you are ready for him to make the attempt at emerging...has anyone mentioned yet, or have you seen in your reading, that it’s also a good idea to provide a variety of natural wood (grape/pine/manzanita/java, etc) perches for your bird to use? Keeping to only dowel perches can lead to arthritic problems.
He’s a cutie, have a wonderful time building the bond with your new friend!

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Hello and welcome!

also please cover any mirror and windows when you first allow him to come out so if he panics, he will not hurt himself on those surfaces. I am assuming he will not be a strong flyer the first few times he comes out so make sure that any hard to get to areas to rescue him if need be is protected with a blanket or pillow so he doesn't get wedged behind the headboard for example. Also give him time to get his bearings if he does panic, to give him a chance to calm down and make his way back himself if possible (unless he is in dangerous situation) this way he will not associate coming out with getting grabbed and put back in the cage.

You could also take a look at talkparrotlets.com a forum dedicated to parrotlets. They were of immense help when I had my Pixie and then Mugsy afterwards. Between the two sites, you are sure to get all the help to make your bonding to him easier.

:heart: :)

MJ88

Moving in
Speaking of placing a perch outside of the cage when you are ready for him to make the attempt at emerging...has anyone mentioned yet, or have you seen in your reading, that it’s also a good idea to provide a variety of natural wood (grape/pine/manzanita/java, etc) perches for your bird to use? Keeping to only dowel perches can lead to arthritic problems.
He’s a cutie, have a wonderful time building the bond with your new friend!
Thanks Heidi, yep I have read this and have purchased some natural wood perches, was just waiting for him to come out of his cage and become comfortable before replacing them.

MJ88

Moving in
I have a parrotlet also, but she is now 1yr. Having them higher will be better. I would also put your baby to a different side of the room away from the window and see if that will help.
If your unsure about her eating I would take her to the vet for a check up to make sure she is ok.
Leaving the door open with a perch is a good idea so they have something sturdy to sit on and flee back Incase she wants to. Maybe hang millet so she can build up the courage to come out and eat that delicious treat lol like the other member stated it takes time a day in a week or only minutes to the birds compared to us eventually she will come around and you will be able to witness the fun goofy terrors of the little parrotlets!
Hi Cat,

Aw your bird is so cute!! Thanks for your advice, will definitely take it into consideration.

MJ88

Moving in
Hello and welcome!

also please cover any mirror and windows when you first allow him to come out so if he panics, he will not hurt himself on those surfaces. I am assuming he will not be a strong flyer the first few times he comes out so make sure that any hard to get to areas to rescue him if need be is protected with a blanket or pillow so he doesn't get wedged behind the headboard for example. Also give him time to get his bearings if he does panic, to give him a chance to calm down and make his way back himself if possible (unless he is in dangerous situation) this way he will not associate coming out with getting grabbed and put back in the cage.

You could also take a look at talkparrotlets.com a forum dedicated to parrotlets. They were of immense help when I had my Pixie and then Mugsy afterwards. Between the two sites, you are sure to get all the help to make your bonding to him easier.

:heart: :)
Thanks so much for your advice, I'll make sure the gaps are covered as much as I can and give him time to work his way back himself...want to avoid grabbing him.

Also, I'll check out that forum, thank you!