• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

6.283 (pi X 2)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aww she super beautiful! Congratulations again. How are things going? What was Leias reaction to the newcomer? Is Kira settling in ok? (Great name too!)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Ali hello stranger! Nice to see you around!

And @Zara - they're spending time out of the cage together and I hand them treats and foot toys when they're showing calm, relaxed body language. Kira favours cashew pieces whereas Leia prefers almond slices so I have a stash of both on my desk. Only problem is when Kira tries to fly to my shoulder. Leia gets annoyed and launches herself to chase her off. Neither of them is actually meant to be on my shoulder :rolleyes:

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
@Ali hello stranger! Nice to see you around!

And @Zara - they're spending time out of the cage together and I hand them treats and foot toys when they're showing calm, relaxed body language. Kira favours cashew pieces whereas Leia prefers almond slices so I have a stash of both on my desk. Only problem is when Kira tries to fly to my shoulder. Leia gets annoyed and launches herself to chase her off. Neither of them is actually meant to be on my shoulder :rolleyes:
Hello!

Great to hear they're seeming getting along well so far (touch wood!). It's a great job she's found a home with you!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad she´s already accepting treats and exploring her new home. It would be great if the girls got on, at least enought to tolerate each other and enjoy the same out of cage time, I´ll keep my fingers crossed things continue to go so positively :)

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Congratulations!! Kira is gorgeous. Would love more pics of the girls. :p

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So a few days later and Leia has figured out that she gets treats for staying on her cage and perches and no treats at all for launching herself onto my shoulder to chase Kira off. I'm teaching Kira to station by giving her treats when she stays on her cage and perches and she seems to be getting the message. On Monday evening I genuinely feared that my head was going to be in the middle of a psittacine squabble but happily, everyone seems to be a bit calmer now.

I've been working on targetting Leia around the room so she has to fly to touch the stick - it's good exercise, gives her something to think about and she enjoys it. Kira was very interested in what we were doing so I held the stick for her, and she immediately touched it. I'm not sure if she learnt in her previous home or if she learnt by observing Leia. She amazes me with how confident and curious she is - I just have to show her a new toy and she's eager to investigate even if it doesn't sustain her attention.

I'm enjoying watching them engage in parallel behaviours: eating, preening and playing. I'm glad that Leia has another bird with her.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations

• Love
Reactions: tka

Shezbug