• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

6.283 (pi X 2)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep that's right - another Pionus!

Leia's breeder contacted me to ask whether I'd be interested in rehoming one of her 2021 sisters. Very sadly, her original owner was badly allergic to her and couldn't be in the same room as her without struggling to breathe. He had to make the decision to rehome her as the situation wasn't fair on either of them.

Today we picked her up. Continuing the sci-fi theme, my wife has decided to call her Kira after one of her favourite characters from the other Star franchise.

IMG-20220206-WA0004.jpg

Kira hasn't come into contact with any other birds since leaving her breeder (who keeps a closed aviary) so I feel comfortable in saying that's she's basically been quarantined for six months. Leia has been disease-tested prior to boarding her last summer. As Pam Clark pointed out when I asked her about this, they're both very low risk for harbouring anything.

They're currently both out and being rewarded for calm body language and ignoring each other. I hope they will become friends and enrich each other's life.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well hello little girly!! What a cute face!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is lovely

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a beauty! Thank you for taking her in!!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Love the name. She looks very sweet.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Because of extensive experience with the resistance movement; she was an expert in guerilla warfare tactics such as ambushes, setting up booby traps and close quarters combat and hand-to-hand fighting.

Hopefully she doesn't take after her namesake.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Because of extensive experience with the resistance movement; she was an expert in guerilla warfare tactics such as ambushes, setting up booby traps and close quarters combat and hand-to-hand fighting.

Hopefully she doesn't take after her namesake.
We have a General and a Major. I'm sure everything will be just fine haha

I think my opposable thumbs are the only thing keeping me safe. They haven't yet managed to open the food tub.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations! What species are they?
:yah:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a beauty! Thank you for taking her in!!
Honestly it's a pleasure. We were planning to add a second this summer so this has just moved our plans forward by a few months. I got Leia from her breeder when she was nine months old (he held her for me because I had some life stuff I needed to resolve first) so this doesn't feel much different.

Congratulations! What species are they?
:yah:
Both are Bronze-winged Pionus. Full sisters but with a five year age difference.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my goodness she is absolutely gorgeous! Welcome little one! :heart:

latriviata

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Laura
Thank you for the compliments both for our new addition and the name choice! I haven't done an introduction post before so hello, I'm the wife in question and parrot co-parent. @tka semi-jokingly dubbed me the stepmum when I moved in several years after Leia joined the household; she's warmed up a lot though is still intermittently suspicious of me. Naturally not too suspicious to accept a lot of parrot cookies.

I'm a postgrad student in the US so currently dividing time between London and the East Coast. I'll mostly be lurking on the pionus forum though also particularly interested to hear from anyone else trying to build a relationship with a bird you can't live with full-time or see for longish stretches. It's another quirk of timing (this rehoming came sooner than any of us expected) that I couldn't be around to greet Kira in person or get her used to me - tka has promised a lot of regular video calls though those are pretty much just for my benefit, the birds ignore the phone screen entirely except as something to lick.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome Latriviata!! It’s a fun crowd here!
Post grad sucks- but many of us here have been there and you can always jump on here when you need to let some steam off. And I’m sure the bronzies will recognize your voice when you do go back to the UK. If not, there’s always cookie bribes!

:welcometrain:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations on your new addition!

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Welcome, amazing beautiful bird.♥

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! This means you’re the person who carefully halves grapes - I’m sure they’ll both like you.

You should also check out the Budgie Boulevard; it’s awesome!

:godmor: & welcome!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! This means you’re the person who carefully halves grapes - I’m sure they’ll both like you.
Yes, Laura is the one who makes a carefully chopped fruit salad for Leia...and holds the plate for her like a parrot butler. Leia's training skills are top notch.