• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

5yo cockatoo loves formula

puffin2016

Moving in
Real Name
Abby
Hi! My Goffin’s cockatoo, Puffin, is 5 years old and he is completely weaned. So he does eat a regular diet. When I was hand feeding a baby cockatiel, Puffin stole some formula and he really enjoyed it so I gave it to him as a treat.
But now, everyday he begs for it. He knows where it is and will stand there forever! My question is, is it safe to feed baby formula (Kaytee Exact) to a 5yo cockatoo? And if so, how often?? If it is not safe please let me know
9A6623F8-FCDF-45EE-A02B-AF5FB1A9AFCD.jpeg Here’s a picture of my Puffin <3

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You could grind up some of his pellets and use them instead of the formula powder.
I serve a warm pellet paste/mush to my bird daily, he loves it.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, what a cutie! :swoon:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I don't know about handfeeding, but I consider myself a bit of an expert on goffins named Puffin! ;) And from what I can see, your Puffin is quite a cutie!

:greet15: Welcome to the Avenue Abby and Puffin♂, from Karen and Puffin♀!
20210324_081907.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm also curious! Could it possibly cause hormonal issues?
Yes :) Potentially. While some birds it is just a nice bonding time, because it mimics regurgitate (warm and wet), it can trigger hormonal behaviors for others.

Additionally, the extra nutrients from the formula could get the body "primed" for breeding, however a few licks from a syringe I think it is unlikely for that to occur.

Another plus to syringe-feeding foods to him is that it'll be a lot easier/less stressful if you ever have to medicate him.
yes this is the bonus for sure, and such a good trick to have under your belt!

If he is super obsessive about it, maybe hide the formula when he isn't able to see where you put it, and bring it again after he has forgotten about it.

puffin2016

Moving in
Real Name
Abby
Another plus to syringe-feeding foods to him is that it'll be a lot easier/less stressful if you ever have to medicate him.
he usually takes the formula from a spoon, but I might still be able to hide medicine in formula if I ever had to

puffin2016

Moving in
Real Name
Abby
I don't know about handfeeding, but I consider myself a bit of an expert on goffins named Puffin! ;) And from what I can see, your Puffin is quite a cutie!

:greet15: Welcome to the Avenue Abby and Puffin♂, from Karen and Puffin♀!
View attachment 394659
No way!!!!! I’m actually in shock Hello adorable Puffin!! I think my Puffin would definitely have a crush on your Puffin ❤

puffin2016

Moving in
Real Name
Abby
Yes :) Potentially. While some birds it is just a nice bonding time, because it mimics regurgitate (warm and wet), it can trigger hormonal behaviors for others.

Additionally, the extra nutrients from the formula could get the body "primed" for breeding, however a few licks from a syringe I think it is unlikely for that to occur.

yes this is the bonus for sure, and such a good trick to have under your belt!

If he is super obsessive about it, maybe hide the formula when he isn't able to see where you put it, and bring it again after he has forgotten about it.
Thank you so much for your response :) He is SO obsessive, we already have been hiding.. it does work sometimes!

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Hmm, I wonder! How can it be? He likes eating it from a spoon so that doesn’t mimic regurgitation, right? I did see a reply about the extra nutrients that can do it though
I will be able to test it out on my hormonal African grey when our baby African grey comes in 2 months.... :D

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Our Umbrella Cockatoo is about 20yr old, and makes the 'baby gulping noise' when we feed her grits, or cooked oatmeal from a spoon...
So cute to hear her!