• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent 5 year old budgie may be sick?- Sad Update Post #13

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's great that the vet was able to determine the issues and give you recommendations. I hope that the new diet and vitamin supplement helps Sammy. Probably best not to get a new bird right now. Continue to work with him so that he progresses with bonding and also wait until he is healthier.
Continue to offer him a variety of food and try different types of pellets. There are many different brands and, if he doesn't like one brand he might like another. Some companies that manufacture pellets will send you free samples. You can also purchase some of the birdie mashes and birdie breads and make those for him. I haven't had luck with those with my birds but it's worth a try. Eat the fruits and veggies alongside him and perhaps if he sees you eating them it will get him more interested.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks for your update and taking him to the vet. One thing you might try is to fix a salad plate for the bird but sit down at a table with this plate in front of you. Have Sammy with you watching what you are doing. He will eventually get curious and may join in the eating. May have to do this several tries before he feels secure in this new adventure. I also would pop a mirror in his cage when you are leaving for the day. It may help him to entertain himself.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i am sorry for your loss

samsun

Strolling the yard
Thank you for the tips! I will certainly try that out. Are there any particular fruits/veggies that I should try? He's eaten a bit of tomato so far, and has always loved strawberries, watermelon and apple. Are these good choices, or should he be getting something else?

Also, what are your thoughts on adding Sammy into a community of budgies, in the future? Someone near me is looking to rehome a group of 4 budgies and a very large cage. I would have to look into the birds' age, health history, etc, of course... but maybe an option once Sammy is healthy again?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Best to be an even number of budgies so they can pair off. If not even one of the birds that is not paired will be picked on and maybe even injured.

The healthy greens are broccoli, kale, romaine, a small amount of parsley but not often, dandelion and beet greens and collard/mustard.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you can find carrot tops (the leafy green part) those are also healthy. Tomatoes are acidic so you may want to not feed those. Don't have any budgies here but we used to give our budgies apple slices. Made sure that there were no seeds and generally removed the skin.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Im glad Sammy is doing well. Sounds like he is enjoying your company. My bird loved lettuce (not iceberg though it has few nutrients) also cooked sweet potatoes, zucchini etc

samsun

Strolling the yard
I think we have decided to just keep Sammy on his own, and work on strengthening my bond with him, instead of getting another bird.

I got his old cage completely disinfected and set back up today. He is LOVING the new toys and perches!! He hopped right into it as soon as we opened both cages. :)

He's eating some fresh fruits, and picking around the new pellets (we mixed it in with his seed), so hopefully we'll get him on a balanced diet that will allow him to live a long, happy life. :)

Thank you again, everyone, for all of your help!! You all are so wonderful, Sammy and I are truly grateful.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think working on strengthening your bond with Sammy is a great ideas and you can always get another bird in the future if you decide you want another. :)