• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

5 months old cockatiel passed away

deepika

Meeting neighbors
you shouldn’t feel any guilt for this!! you went out of your way to get medical care and give him what he needed. i’m so sorry for your loss
Thank you :( :( just can’t stop feeling this way .. it’s very difficult to accept that he is no more.

deepika

Meeting neighbors
I'm so sorry you lost your baby. As others have said you absolutely did everything you could and have nothing to feel guilty about. :sorrow:

I took my sick lovebird, Maddie, to five different avian and exotic vet practices (seeing multiple vets with some practices) and I would say I trusted half of them. One was an absolute bird whisperer and the only vet Maddie actually liked. I swear they had conversations with each other lol. He also kept her alive once when she was *very* ill and had to be hospitalized. My favorite though was a woman who was so empathetic with me as well as handling Maddie well. We had to start doing gavage feedings semi regularly, Maddie had a few infections in a short period of time and was having seizures. This vet actually gave me her personal cell number because she said her nightmare was that one of her bird patients would have an emergency and wouldn't be able to get care during off hours. Not only that, she gifted me a gavage needle that another vet charged me $50 to borrow AND she let me bring Maddie to the office for "daycare" free of charge while Mads was recovering from an infection and I was afraid to leave her at home while I went to work.

The good ones are out there, it's just tough when the options are so limited in many places (especially outside North America!). And the other half I've met definitely over charged and had no clue what they were doing :laughin:
That’s so true. I’m glad Mads found the right vet and I really wish I had a good vet in my city.. :(

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
Please don't feel guilty for this! You gave him a good life for the short time you had him from what i've heard.

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
The deep connection that we have with our birds is so intense! I do understand how you loved your baby so much in a short time. Birds are incredible creatures. I felt a bond with my birds that I didn't have with a human. I wish you well and I pray every day for people that have lost their pet birds...the pain is sometimes too much. I do promise...it will get better. Sending HUGS your way!:hug8:

deepika

Meeting neighbors
The deep connection that we have with our birds is so intense! I do understand how you loved your baby so much in a short time. Birds are incredible creatures. I felt a bond with my birds that I didn't have with a human. I wish you well and I pray every day for people that have lost their pet birds...the pain is sometimes too much. I do promise...it will get better. Sending HUGS your way!:hug8:
This means a lot, thank you:sadhug2: !!