• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

5 month old quaker still wants me to handfeed

Quakerlady

Meeting neighbors
My 5 month old Quaker is completely weaned. However, I gave her a nightly hand feeding at night up until she was 16 wks old because she would beg. I stopped this about 5 weeks ago and she still thinks food is going to come out of my fingers. She even nips gently at them trying to find the syringe with food. She seems to be psychologically infatuated with this. She eats perfectly fine and has for several months. She is a small female blue Quaker who maintains her weight at about 85-87 grams. She is very happy and playful. She has a vocabulary of about 15 words and sounds. She is almost 5 months old. I started giving her a spoon of warm baby food of veggies in the afternoon. I let her eat it off of the spoon. But I don't know how to make her know that there is no more food coming out of my fingers, which she associates with the syringe! She is super affectionate to me and whenever she puts her beak on me, she makes a kissie sound! I love her to pieces!
She shakes her head back and forth and bobs her head up and down, like a baby Quaker does. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her to stop begging for food? It's purely psychological.... 20200724_105410.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
When she is begging for this comfort feeding, either do as you are offering some mashed veggies on a spoon, or hand small pieces of veggies with your fingers for her. She will grow out of it eventually, there´s no rush :)

Quakerlady

Meeting neighbors
When she is begging for this comfort feeding, either do as you are offering some mashed veggies on a spoon, or hand small pieces of veggies with your fingers for her. She will grow out of it eventually, there´s no rush :)
I ignore her begging because I don't want her picking at my fingers and hands. I give her a tsp of warm baby food (veggies) on a spoon only. I hope you are right and that she grows out of it. Thank you for your reply, it makes me feel better!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
One of my lovebirds was a ¨late weaner¨, she just wanted that formula and to be fed and babied :rolleyes:

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'd keep offering her comfort feeding until she lets you know otherwise.

Quakerlady

Meeting neighbors
I'd keep offering her comfort feeding until she lets you know otherwise.
That's why I do the warmed baby food on a tsp. The owner of the bird store told me to stop feeding her with the syringe because she could get thrush or a bacterial infection. I hope she does grow out of it. But then I'll miss it when she does!