• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

5 month old molting

Newmonium

Meeting neighbors
Skittle turns 5 months old tomorrow. She is beginning some molting an crankiness. How long does the first molt take and is there anything I should expect? Thanks! 20210728_210929.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´ve noticed the first moult to take a few months to change the birds entire plumage. Crankiness is the top of the list of what to expect, though not all birds are as bad as others, some hardly cranky at all!

Offering plenty of bathing opportunities can help sooth the itchiness of the pin feathers. Some birds will even allow you to gently preen them, but not all, and sometimes they may decide mid-preen that actually they don´t want you to do it any more and try nipping you :lol:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a beautiful little bird! I hope her first molt goes smoothly, poor little girl.

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Besides giving more frequent bathing opportunities also boost calcium in your lovie's diet. Because molting requires birds to make new feathers they need more calcium and minerals.Things like broccoli and dark leafy greens can be really helpful during a bird's molting session. I hope this helps. Good luck with your first molt, Skittles!