• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

4 year old male Jenday becoming aggressive.

LetticeK

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
My male Jenday is all of the sudden attacking people in my home. He just turned 4 in July. He is flighted and this has made the problem much worse. I have always been his main person. My husband is away 4-5 days a week for work. My two adult children who live at home with me he tolerates.

A few months ago one of my other daughters came to visit and he flew onto her, when she walked him back into his bird room he bit her aggressively on the neck. He did the same thing to one of my friends lip a few months before that. I now have one of my daughters best friends living with me while she goes to college and he will fly at her and just start biting. And now in the last two weeks he has started flying and attacking my husband when he’s home. Even if he just opens the bird room (also my office) door. I am just at a loss and don’t know what to do. He is sweet as can be with me but he’s all the sudden gotten very aggressive with everyone but myself and my two kids who are home with me regularly.

He’s schedule is typically up at 7am and bed by 7pm. He is out all day in his bird room and only sleeps in his cage. I do have trees, perches and toys for him but he rarely plays with any of it. He’s on a pellet diet, he will eat some fruits but no veggies. I’ve been giving him all the different flavors of nutriberries hoping he will eat some of the dried veggies in them. Can a nutrition issue cause any aggression?

He’s in my office so I am with him 8-9 hours a day. Sometimes he spends a couple hours alone in his bird room before bed, sometimes my daughter plays games in there at night until his bedtime. On the weekends he spends more time in there alone. Not sure if that could cause some of these issues.

He is an amazing little flyer, which obviously makes the issue worse. He flys all over the house when I’m running around cleaning or doing things. Now I’m scared to let him out of his bird room if my husband or my daughters friend is home. But it’s only a matter of time before something happens and he attacks someone again. The thought of clipping his wings just makes me sick, but if that’s what I have to do I guess I will. I’ll just ball like a child when they do it.

I just don’t know what to do. He’s my baby, he ain’t going anywhere. So I’ve got to get this sorted out. Any info or suggestions would be beyond appreciated.

Attachments

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Welcome to the forum, I'm sorry you're dealing with that issue.

If your guy continues to be sweet with you while attacking others, it's possible he's overly bonded with you and inappropriately views you as his mate.

See if this resonates with the situation...

I'm dealing with this issue with my Jericho, who is super sweet with me, but chases my other birds and my occasional visitors. We're making some progress, but it's slow (undoing over a decade of experience from before he came to live with me). To reduce the impact of this behaviour, he's not allowed direct access to others unless I'm in close proximity to catch him before any aggression can occur (truthfully, it's less stressful for Jericho and most visitors if he's in his room on his own while they're here).

LetticeK

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
Ugh. Yes after reading that article it for sure sounds like pair bonding. I’m really careful where I pet him. Only head or toes. He is with me all day long though so he’s definitely on my shoulder, lap or crawling inside my shirt. I do catch him masterbating on my shirt collar and I always take him off me and put him somewhere else. Like on his perch or on my desk.
His bird room is all his own, he is the only bird I have. I would feel bad caging him while I work but maybe putting him in his play cage a few hours of my work time won’t hurt so he’s not with me 90% of his waking hours… not sure if that will help.
I’m going to see if I can find some videos for training, he definitely does not listen to me even when he knows what I want him to do.
mom also going to take him to the vet, just get his bloodwork and health checked up.

Thank you so much for your response. Any info or help is beyond appreciated!! ♥

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
For your species he has already been through puberty and several Hormonal seasons.

Having all these new people added to the home and and coming and going is enough to stress out the most easy going of parrots.

I do not recommend clipping.

What I would do, re introduce everyone in the home to him. If he takes treats nice from in the cage, I would probably start out introducing while he is in the cage and in a good mood ( pre charm and give treats) then bring in one person at a time. Stand next to them explain and introduce. Then have the person say hello ( burds name ) I'm ( their name ) and have them hand a treat . ( I find one safflower seed works best for mine) then you both praise fir taking nice. Go through everyone one at a time including your husband and children.
* if he doesn't reliably take treats nice from hands while in cage, get a small dish and have it be the treat only dish, put inside by door with a perch next to. And instead of handing him have them drop it in the treat only dish.

After everyone has been re introduced. From now on they come and tell him good morning and give a treat. ( mornings are important to flocks as they confirm everyone lived thru the night, reaffirm flock bonds before daily foraging) Every time someone is leaving the home they come and tell him goodbye and give a treat, and as soon as they return home they go and say hello and give a treat. This advice was payed for when my friend has a parrot behaviorist do a consult with her African Grey. What a huge positive impact it had!!! I also do this with my flock for all visitors ! Very easy and very positive impact, especially for high volume homes with lots of people coming and going.

If he doesn't have his own perches and hang out spots in the main home " his own furniture " then please provide him with several. I use ceiling hooks ( 2 inch screw in ones) and fishing line rated for over 25 pounds to hang the rope bongs , swings, cargo nets , ect...down to my chest height tho some are higher. This is cheap , doesn't take up floor space, or much visual clutter. Provide them their own space to hang out , feel safe, observe and be part of things. And fir me keeps them 95% off my furniture and on theirs. Spend time teaching and rewarding him to use them. ( will see if I can attach my pic examples later)

The next step is to have you be the bridge, and teaching him to be polite to everyone. While we cannot expect our parrots to extend petting and hangout privileges to everyone, they can be polite. With mutual respect. I've accomplished this with multiple parrots of different ages and backgrounds and personalities. Many rescues have also been successful. So I see every reason that you should be as well.

The way I've done this, is to have my parrots in a calm relaxed mood. It might be best for you to start off doing this in his burd room at first. To limit distractions , and increase his comfort. Have your practice person with you. You have him step to you and give treat. Then have him step to their arm and right back to you for a treat. You both tell him how amazing and awesome he is. When you have him step to them you be prepared to take or prevent any bites to your guest. I never do more than 3 reps. Give a break Hang out and chat a few minutes or do this again later. Next have him step from you to their arm and you both praise but you are the one to hand a treat while on their arm then right back to you for a treat and praise. 3 times. I repeated this over several days as often as I was able. They should then start feeling comfortable and knowing what to expect and loving getting all these treats!

Then always starting off from me, I had them step to the person and let the person give the treat. Then back to me for a treat and lots of us bragging what a good birdie. No more than 3 times. Then letting him guide you on how well this goes and how comfortable he feels. And after repeating many times over many days. I start letting my bird stay on their hand or arm longer after stepping from me to them and getting treat while we mutually admire the parrot. Probably about 5 min or so. Then I take them back.
That's the most I expect of my parrots. I'm at the point with mine now that a total stranger to them can walk in the door, and after saying hello and introducing. I can get them out and have them step right to the person ( always from me) and have the person give a treat and they have the thrill of seeing a parrot up close.

Thus should also increase your parrots confidence around others and stop most if these attacks.

You may also be able to advance this a little further with friends and family your bird likes or us more comfortable with.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Here is one if my hanging perches as an example
20220815_111553.jpg

2nd example
20220815_111937.jpg

I really think have their own places and territory in your home will reduce anxiety and flying attacks. E everyone respects that these are his spots. No one trys to touch him or have him step up from these spots except you. After you have had lots of progress and trust extended to other family and friends. They can begin to be able to say hi and hand out a treat at these spots. But for now you want him to know he is in control of his personal space and trust that no one will bother him.

Last edited:

LetticeK

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
For your species he has already been through puberty and several Hormonal seasons.

Having all these new people added to the home and and coming and going is enough to stress out the most easy going of parrots.

I do not recommend clipping.

What I would do, re introduce everyone in the home to him. If he takes treats nice from in the cage, I would probably start out introducing while he is in the cage and in a good mood ( pre charm and give treats) then bring in one person at a time. Stand next to them explain and introduce. Then have the person say hello ( burds name ) I'm ( their name ) and have them hand a treat . ( I find one safflower seed works best for mine) then you both praise fir taking nice. Go through everyone one at a time including your husband and children.
* if he doesn't reliably take treats nice from hands while in cage, get a small dish and have it be the treat only dish, put inside by door with a perch next to. And instead of handing him have them drop it in the treat only dish.

After everyone has been re introduced. From now on they come and tell him good morning and give a treat. ( mornings are important to flocks as they confirm everyone lived thru the night, reaffirm flock bonds before daily foraging) Every time someone is leaving the home they come and tell him goodbye and give a treat, and as soon as they return home they go and say hello and give a treat. This advice was payed for when my friend has a parrot behaviorist do a consult with her African Grey. What a huge positive impact it had!!! I also do this with my flock for all visitors ! Very easy and very positive impact, especially for high volume homes with lots of people coming and going.

If he doesn't have his own perches and hang out spots in the main home " his own furniture " then please provide him with several. I use ceiling hooks ( 2 inch screw in ones) and fishing line rated for over 25 pounds to hang the rope bongs , swings, cargo nets , ect...down to my chest height tho some are higher. This is cheap , doesn't take up floor space, or much visual clutter. Provide them their own space to hang out , feel safe, observe and be part of things. And fir me keeps them 95% off my furniture and on theirs. Spend time teaching and rewarding him to use them. ( will see if I can attach my pic examples later)

The next step is to have you be the bridge, and teaching him to be polite to everyone. While we cannot expect our parrots to extend petting and hangout privileges to everyone, they can be polite. With mutual respect. I've accomplished this with multiple parrots of different ages and backgrounds and personalities. Many rescues have also been successful. So I see every reason that you should be as well.

The way I've done this, is to have my parrots in a calm relaxed mood. It might be best for you to start off doing this in his burd room at first. To limit distractions , and increase his comfort. Have your practice person with you. You have him step to you and give treat. Then have him step to their arm and right back to you for a treat. You both tell him how amazing and awesome he is. When you have him step to them you be prepared to take or prevent any bites to your guest. I never do more than 3 reps. Give a break Hang out and chat a few minutes or do this again later. Next have him step from you to their arm and you both praise but you are the one to hand a treat while on their arm then right back to you for a treat and praise. 3 times. I repeated this over several days as often as I was able. They should then start feeling comfortable and knowing what to expect and loving getting all these treats!

Then always starting off from me, I had them step to the person and let the person give the treat. Then back to me for a treat and lots of us bragging what a good birdie. No more than 3 times. Then letting him guide you on how well this goes and how comfortable he feels. And after repeating many times over many days. I start letting my bird stay on their hand or arm longer after stepping from me to them and getting treat while we mutually admire the parrot. Probably about 5 min or so. Then I take them back.
That's the most I expect of my parrots. I'm at the point with mine now that a total stranger to them can walk in the door, and after saying hello and introducing. I can get them out and have them step right to the person ( always from me) and have the person give a treat and they have the thrill of seeing a parrot up close.

Thus should also increase your parrots confidence around others and stop most if these attacks.

You may also be able to advance this a little further with friends and family your bird likes or us more comfortable with.
Thank you so much! We will have to try the treats first while I’m his play cage. Currently he flys and attacks.

The thought of clipping his wings just makes me sick. So I’m going to try all these suggestions!! Thanks again. You taking the time to answer means more than you know!

LetticeK

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
He has his own room in the house, which he has become very territorial over. Attacks anyone who is not on his “cool” list, as soon as they walk up to the door. i have bought several branch stands and put them up high, but he has no interest even flying up to them. So I pulled them all down and I’m trying to figure out what to do with them. I built him a pvc play stand that Is still a work in progress. So far no interest in that either. So he has places to perch but spends 90% of his day climbing on me or my desk I’m working at. I signed up for a monthly bird toy box and he’s not interested in that either.

He will chew up shoe boxes or try to climb in drawers and trash anything in them, but that’s all he gets interested in. Very frustrating.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Lots of treats on these play areas. Have him step to them and give treat. Hang treats and fun things to find.

At first I had to place mine on their hang out spots a lot and give treats and praise when they used them.