• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

4 year old GW

maounm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aoun mahmood
I just got a 4 year old GW macaw. He dosent step up and lunges at me its his first day. He was very friendly to his previous owner and comes from a good home. Any tips to bond with him?

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Patience and lots of it. He’s in a new environment with a new person. I’m sure he’s nervous and unsure of himself. He may be having some separation anxiety as well. Take your interaction at the pace he sets. Approach him calmly, speak softly. Offer treats where he can get them himself when he’s comfortable. Treats are a good motivator so offer things that make him curious. Maybe a piece of fruit or a carrot stick. It won’t happen overnight but eventually you can hold the treat and encourage him to come to you to get it. You have to build trust you just have to go slow.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I agree with Brian. Patience, lots of it. Your new bird will be missing his old home and people.
He's upset, sad, unsure, frightened and untrusting of you.
Give him time.
Do not demand anything right now. No step-ups unless he asks you.
You want to build trust. You want him to see you and think good things.
Treats as mentioned above are great.
It's the easiest and quickest way to start to teach him you are a good thing to have around.

Give him a few days to a few weeks, and see how it goes.
Keep your expectations low. Let him get to know you at his speed, not yours.

And congrats on your new bird. I love GW's!

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The lunging is his way of saying stay away. He's scared. He needs time to adjust to his new home & you. His cage should be his safe place & many do not like you reaching in their cages.

Ask the previous owner what his favorite foods & treats are. Offer him a treat & walk away. He will learn you are not a threat. Talk to him a lot. Sing, dance just act silly. They love silly. Take it slow & give him time to adjust to his new home.

Did he step up for his previous owners? If not then you have to teach him. Use a place other than his cage to start if possible. The back of a chair will do. Pick him up (tell him step up each time) & put him back down (tell him step down each time). Do that a couple times, give him a treat or say "good bird" & walk away. Give him a few minutes then put him back in his cage. Always rewarding with "good bird". Once he understands stepping up is OK then take him for short walks thru your home. Explain everything he sees. This is the refrigerator, let him touch it with his beak. This is a chair, again let him touch it. He will learn that these things will not harm him.

It took 6 weeks of working with my previous macaw (JaJaBinks) to adjust & learn to trust me. She didn't know how to step up either. She had been abused by her previous owners. She turned into an amazing companion. Lots of time, patience & daily interaction & you'll get there.

maounm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aoun mahmood
Patience and lots of it. He’s in a new environment with a new person. I’m sure he’s nervous and unsure of himself. He may be having some separation anxiety as well. Take your interaction at the pace he sets. Approach him calmly, speak softly. Offer treats where he can get them himself when he’s comfortable. Treats are a good motivator so offer things that make him curious. Maybe a piece of fruit or a carrot stick. It won’t happen overnight but eventually you can hold the treat and encourage him to come to you to get it. You have to build trust you just have to go slow.
He takes treats from my hands happily. I can place my arm really close to him for step up ( which he dosent obviously). I know it takes alot of times thanks for your reply.