• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

4 Weeks Old Lovebird

sjalfsmord

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Zeynep
Hey everyone! I have a new lovebird now, her name is Mango and she's approx 4 weeks old. Her beak is still partially black and she's super tiny.

I had two lovebirds, Watermelon and Melon; and sadly, Melon passed away recently.

The other lovebird Watermelon was feeling alone and he was a bit depressed the other days, so I thought a friend would cheer him up and it's going pretty well for now.

They're in seperate cages and I'm not willing to put them together for now, she's still too young and tiny for that. I'll wait a couple of months. But right now the thing I'm struggling with is..bonding and taking care of her I guess.

The petshop owner told me that the younger the birb is, it gets easier to bond with. So what should I do to bond with her? I'm sitting next to her right now and she seems scared of me, she's not freaking out or anything but she's a bit jumpy. She isn't handfed so she's kinda scared of hands. My friends suggested that I should feed her millets only by hand, so that she gets comfy around my hands.

And I've never taken care of a birb this young, is there any tips that you guys can give me? Thank you.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
There weaned at 4 weeks old? Wow.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don´t believe this.
I think the pet shop mixed the dates up, wouldn´t be the first time.
These lovebirds are 4 weeks old:

Do you have a picture of the bird?

If she really is 4 weeks, which I doubt, then get her out the cage, snuggle her in a blanket on you and give her millet on your open hand, on fingers.
If she is older (feathered), offer it through the cage bars, she will come eventually but it may take a little patience.

Young birds usually are easier to work with :)
Very wise to house the birds seperate. Only a bonded pair of lovebirds belong in the same cage.

I´m really sorry about Melons passing ❤

Last edited:

sjalfsmord

Real Name
Zeynep
I didn't think I could feed her with seeds either. The petshop owner told me that I can feed her seeds and she seems like she likes eating sunflower seeds but I don't know if I should feed her with formulas or etc.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Please post a picture, it will help us help you.
If she really is 4 weeks old and looks like the chicks in the video, then she needs formula.

sjalfsmord

Real Name
Zeynep
I also don´t believe this.
I think the pet shop mixed the dates up, wouldn´t be the first time.
These lovebirds are 4 weeks old:

Do you have a picture of the bird?

If she really is 4 weeks, which I doubt, then get her out the cage, snuggle her in a blanket on you and give her millet on your open hand, on fingers.
If she is older (feathered), offer it through the cage bars, she will come eventually but it may take a little patience.

Young birds usually are easier to work with :)
Very wise to house the birds seperate. Only a bonded pair of lovebirds belong in the same cage.

I´m really sorry about Melons passing ❤

They're soooo cute:swoon:

And yeah, he did mix the dates. Mango is probably 8-10 weeks old. She's feathered but her beak is still partially black/brown around her nose area.

She's trying to take a nap in front of me, I took her pictures lmao she's just adorable..

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-24 at 3.27.49 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-08-24 at 3.28.07 PM.jpeg

And thank you. It was a hard time for me and Watermelon. We both mourned.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awww she´s beautiful!!! :)
I´m glad there was a mix up,and all is ok.

Just spending time by the cage and talking to her will teach her that you are safe. You can hold millet through the bars and keep it there ´til she comes for it (sometimes you may have to wait quite a while) Patience is key. It will take time but it will be worth it :)
Once she takes food through the bars and is confident doing so, try coaxing her out with some millet. If she is flighted, be sure to bird proof your home, and have treats on standby for when she comes over. She is a baby, and will be very curious. Rumage around in the seed tin and she will be watching. Just do it when you have plenty of time, the last thing you want is to have her out of the cage and then be rushing trying to put her back.

Edit; RE the food, yes seed mix / pellets are fine to give her.
Remember to offer veggies daily.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So what should I do to bond with her?

I think that pet shop owner needs some education on baby birds. At 4 weeks of age the chick still needs to be with parents to be fed and taught the lessons the baby learns from parents. You may have to pitch in and hand feed this youngster. As to the bonding - this is something you earn by being your natural self and supporting what a baby needs. Why don't you invite this bird shop owner to AA? That way he or she will be educating customers correctly.

sjalfsmord

Real Name
Zeynep
Awww she´s beautiful!!! :)
I´m glad there was a mix up,and all is ok.

Just spending time by the cage and talking to her will teach her that you are safe. You can hold millet through the bars and keep it there ´til she comes for it (sometimes you may have to wait quite a while) Patience is key. It will take time but it will be worth it :)
Once she takes food through the bars and is confident doing so, try coaxing her out with some millet. If she is flighted, be sure to bird proof your home, and have treats on standby for when she comes over. She is a baby, and will be very curious. Rumage around in the seed tin and she will be watching. Just do it when you have plenty of time, the last thing you want is to have her out of the cage and then be rushing trying to put her back.

Edit; RE the food, yes seed mix / pellets are fine to give her.
Remember to offer veggies daily.

Thank you! ♥ Her face is soo pretty :swoon:
It's been only three days since I brought her home so she's scared of her surroundings, as I'm sure you're familiar with. I'll start giving her veggies when she's a bit calmer than she is now. Thank you for everything, I'll update this thread once in a while. I don't want to make any mistakes, trying to be a great parent is harder than I imagined :excited1:

:ppflb::rflb:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Her face is soo pretty
Enjoy is while it lasts :) I miss my Sydney having his beautiful pale peach coloured face, it was gorgeous.

You will be fine, just remember to take it slow :)

sjalfsmord

Real Name
Zeynep
I think that pet shop owner needs some education on baby birds.
I agree. Sadly there're tons of uneducated people running their business about the things they don't actually know. I'm glad that you guys are helping me out.

s to the bonding - this is something you earn by being your natural self and supporting what a baby needs.
I'll try my best about it..Can you explain a bit? Like, can you give examples?

When I adopted Watermelon he was already 5 months old and he was already a devil :laughin: So I don't know anything about little young angels with halos on their head. :laughin::laughin:

Why don't you invite this bird shop owner to AA? That way he or she will be educating customers correctly.
And I don't know if you really meant this or not but I'm pretty sure that he doesn't know English. I live in Turkey. He can't get any help from this great forum.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aww.. She must've been lovely. Sorry for your loss ♥♥
He´s still alive. The peach colour will change at first moult and will go red. (between 6-9months old)

Last edited:

sjalfsmord

Real Name
Zeynep
He´s still alive. The peach colour will change at first moult and will go red. (between 6-9months old)
Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding!

I didn't know that! Watermelon is 2 years old and I didn't realize it. Still looks amazing though.

Do you think Mango is gonna be a peach faced too or a little bit orangey?