• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

4 week old love bird won’t stand (update #10, all ok)

Carma_1922

Moving in
Real Name
Carmen Avila
Hello, I bought a 4 week old love bird yesterday at 10am. I bought it this young because I wanted to hand feed it so that he is used to human contact. I have never raised a baby lovebird before and I told the breeder, so that he could educate me on how to care for it but I think I might have been fooled and I was sold a sick/deformed birdie. Also he hasn’t asked for food, he dosnt perk up and his crop is empty. I fed him slowly this morning and he ate some but he wasn’t particularly interested, I basically force fed him. I’ve looked at YouTube videos of other birds this same age and they are way more lively. I’m not an expert so I would like some input from people who know.

Attachments

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I would take him to the vet or better still send him back to the breeder and arrange to pick him up when weaned- there is no benefit to taking a bird this young.

Hopefully @Zara will see this soon and offer some assistance.

Carma_1922

Moving in
Real Name
Carmen Avila
I would take him to the vet or better still send him back to the breeder and arrange to pick him up when weaned- there is no benefit to taking a bird this young.

Hopefully @Zara will see this soon and offer some assistance.
Yea I have contacted the breeder and he hasn’t responded back. I was just told that many people hand raise them in order to tame them I figured that would be the benefit.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Unethical breeders do this as they get the same money for half the work and often make more than one sale to the same person.
Has this little one eaten anything since your first post?

Carma_1922

Moving in
Real Name
Carmen Avila
Unethical breeders do this as they get the same money for half the work and often make more than one sale to the same person.
Has this little one eaten anything since your first post?
Yes she has eaten!! This time I did not have to force her she went for the syringe on her own. But I’m still worried because she’s not active and she just lays on her belly. I’m no expert but I don’t think that’s normal. I’ve scheduled an appointment with the vet.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Great news that she has eaten.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It is good she has eaten.

A new bird this young can be scared so appear "shy", but usually they warm up to you within the first few days.

You should do your best to distinguish if the issues is your bird not wanting to stand (wanting to stay low and not move becuase they are frightened) OR if they are physically unable to stand / can't hold their weight up / can't walk.
Now that you have had this bird a few days, see if you can get her to stand up, so you figure out if she needs urgent vet care.

Other important notes a this age;
Keep her warm, at a steady temperature. Fluctuations in temperature can cause problems in the crop.
Be sure the food is right. Right consistency with no bumps, right temperature, right water to powder ratio.
Weigh your bird every morning before the first feed to monitor her weight gain. Feed her 10% of her morning weight per feed (you can give a little extra but not too much more to not stretch the crop).

Carma_1922

Moving in
Real Name
Carmen Avila
It is good she has eaten.

A new bird this young can be scared so appear "shy", but usually they warm up to you within the first few days.

You should do your best to distinguish if the issues is your bird not wanting to stand (wanting to stay low and not move becuase they are frightened) OR if they are physically unable to stand / can't hold their weight up / can't walk.
Now that you have had this bird a few days, see if you can get her to stand up, so you figure out if she needs urgent vet care.

Other important notes a this age;
Keep her warm, at a steady temperature. Fluctuations in temperature can cause problems in the crop.
Be sure the food is right. Right consistency with no bumps, right temperature, right water to powder ratio.
Weigh your bird every morning before the first feed to monitor her weight gain. Feed her 10% of her morning weight per feed (you can give a little extra but not too much more to not stretch the crop).
Thank you!!! To everyone that reached out to help. I did take her to the vet and it turns out she was just being shy!! As to be expected she was taken from her mother, and now this giant creature was handling her. Safe to say I will not be making a purchase like this again, that was a scare.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Great update. Glad she's ok :)

When my birds were that old, they just loved snuggling into the nook of my neck under my jawbone, or into my hair :cloud9:

Carma_1922

Moving in
Real Name
Carmen Avila
Great update. Glad she's ok :)

When my birds were that old, they just loved snuggling into the nook of my neck under my jawbone, or into my hair :cloud9:
Yes I have learned that she likes to cuddle, she will often hid in my hair!! Glad she hasn’t pooped in it

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Glad she hasn’t pooped in it
They tend to butt shuffle away to try poop over the edge or away from where they were sitting, and you an quickly grab them and let them poop away from you then put them back :D

Carma_1922

Moving in
Real Name
Carmen Avila
They tend to butt shuffle away to try poop over the edge or away from where they were sitting, and you an quickly grab them and let them poop away from you then put them back :D
Thanks for tip !! Also everyone on here seems to be very educated on birds, I have purchased a cage for her and some branches and toys for when she’s older I would like to send pictures and get peoples opinions on how to improve it. Is there a specific place for that kind of post?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Is there a specific place for that kind of post?
You will likely get the quickest responses here;

You could post in Lovebird Lane, but a lot of the housing questions have the same answers as for other little parrots so others with small conure or budgies may be able to help or give tips :)

Carma_1922

Moving in
Real Name
Carmen Avila
You will likely get the quickest responses here;

You could post in Lovebird Lane, but a lot of the housing questions have the same answers as for other little parrots so others with small conure or budgies may be able to help or give tips :)
:heart::heart: