• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

4 week old cockatiel refusing formula

artemisella

Checking out the neighborhood
In need of urgent help

I have been handfeeding a baby cockatiel (pulled at 3 weeks of age) and she has been accepting the formula without any problems before.

Lately she has started to refuse the formula and started to take interest in seeds. I'm aware that it's possibly self-weaning but it's too early! She still cannot feed herself and only nibbles on seeds. I offer her apple and lettuce but she refuses that too.

Important to note: She absolutely hates me cleaning her right after eating. That might be the reason she is refusing too early.

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
Continue to offer her formula three or four times a day and continue to give her seeds and pellets and veggies and fruit.

artemisella

Thank you! I have been offering her and she would only take a few drops. I'm just a little bit worried because from 11 cc three times a day, she has gone to 5 cc every feeding. And good news is she has just started to fly! Now I know the reason. I'm just worried it's a bit too extreme of an adjustment :(

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you weighing her daily? That is very important.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the forum :)

Did you buy this chick or did you breed it? If you bought it, are you sure the age is correct? Maybe you could post a picture?

Are you weighing her daily? That is very important.
I second this.
At his age it is so important to weigh at morning and night. A journal to jot the numbers in will help you.
If you have been weighing the chick and notice the bird is losing weight, or even if they appear frail, or weak, best visit the vet to be tube fed. I would not recommend doing this at home if you haven´t done it before, it is quite dangerous.

Important to note: She absolutely hates me cleaning her right after eating. That might be the reason she is refusing too early.
My latest chick hated me wiping her beak, more than any other baby I have fed, she would squeak and try to get away. She took 3 times the ¨normal¨ to wean.

artemisella

Thank you so much for all your help! I am about to buy a kitchen scale to track her. She is still very lively though! No suspicious behavior changes :) Whew, the weaning process is more stressful than I thought!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Get a digital scale that has can weigh in grams (ok if it can also weigh in pound/ounces as long as it can be set to weigh in grams) and has a tare function.