• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent 4 week lovebird not eating

sambarbershoe

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sam
Hello! I'm Sam

I have been hand feeding my 4 week old lovebird baby since she/he was 6 days old and keeping her in a brooder i made with a light bulb and the temperature doesn't go lower than 30C /86F - because the parents had abandoned her.
I've noticed she is growing a little slower than normal - from what i've seen online - and recently she has started refusing the formula (I keep the formula at the right temperature, not too thick consistency). I tried offering millet but she spits it right out and I also offered mashed hard boiled egg and she seemed to eat that, but just a few tiny bites. Her crop hasn't been full in 2 days now, and I am worried she is not getting enough food to survive.

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@karen256 @Monica @Hankmacaw

I'm afraid I have no advice. Hopefully others will answer soon. There's a website called Just Cockatiels that has a lot of hand feeding etc info. I know your baby is a lovie but it might point you in the right direction. I hope you're baby is ok.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm not a baby bird expert, but it sounds as if the baby may have a crop infection. It needs a vet right away.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
The baby looks much too young to be weaning him- or herself. A vet check will be critical.

Tami B

Walking the driveway
I've raised several baby birds.
2 days without a full crop?
I would say a vet visit just moved to the top of the to-do list!
:sad11:
Sadly, In my experience, if (especially proven) parents abandon a baby, there is usually something wrong with it, and often don't make it, even if properly fed and taken care off.
:sad9:
Just do your best.
Good luck, and keep us posted!

Tami B

Walking the driveway
PS: they baby looks younger then 4 weeks!
For comparison, these are my ~6 week old babies I'm raising right now. image.jpeg

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Vet immediately. Baby birds cannot afford to skip meals.

sambarbershoe

Real Name
Sam
Thank you all so much for your replies!! I really appreciate it!

There is no avian vet in my area unfortunately... or else i would be there instead of posting here.:( The ride there would take way too long and I don't think the baby would make it (especially in this heat and having to use public transportation)
BUT Good news the little lovie started eating again :D From what I've researched on the internet he/she has no crop infection or anything visible. I think maybe it was just an awkward phase? I sure hope it won't happen again.

And yes, the baby is a little too small for his/her age but i've read that it may be because of inbreeding/malnutrition/humidity(it's very dry where i'm from, but i am doing my best to keep it humid)/temperature changes(this could be it also, since i couldn't find a proper brooder i had to make one myself).

[as you may see in the picture, the feathers are starting to come out more]
I will keep you all posted!

Attachments

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope everything continues to improve for baby.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Thank you all so much for your replies!! I really appreciate it! There is no avian vet in my area unfortunately... or else i would be there instead of posting here.:( The ride there would take way too long and I don't think the baby would make it (especially in this heat and having to use public transportation)
BUT Good news the little lovie started eating again :D From what I've researched on the internet he/she has no crop infection or anything visible. I think maybe it was just an awkward phase? I sure hope it won't happen again.
Glad baby is doing better, I really am... but you're playing with fire by not having access to a qualified veterinarian. Baby might not be so lucky next time.

If you give us your location, maybe we can help you find a vet nearby. Sometimes they can be tricky to find...

sambarbershoe

Real Name
Sam
I live in Turkey. And i've searched everywhere in my area and asked other veterinarians. I also searched online but there aren't many avian veterinarians here. Not close to me at least.

This is the baby now.
Her feathers are growing out nicely and she likes eating vegetables, fruits and hard boiled egg and she's also trying millet and other seeds.
Turns out, she was just starting to wean and that's why she was refusing formula. But i fed her more often and smaller meals.
Again -- thank you all for your replies! :)

P.S. She is almost 6 weeks. Still growing slower than the average lovebird - but we're getting there.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tami B

Walking the driveway
Great work! And thanks for the pic.
Looks like your little one will be fine!
Good luck, and keep us posted!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that the baby is doing well. Very pretty.