• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent 4 mth old greenwing...HELP!!!!

natalierae21

Meeting neighbors
okay so i just watched a video with someone syringe feeding a GW maybe a little younger than Monte and boy did he really have to grab on to that bird with that crazy bobbing...i think that was my downfall in this last fedding. i was a little hesitant to hold him so tight but it seems like its a must. this is all new to me so i took it slow the first time and only put a tiny amount at a time so i know he was eating it and not inhaling it... but now i think im going to try to hold him tighter next time and well try the bobbing again lol
wish us luck and im ALWAYS open for tip:):):)
you all are great. :hug8:

natalierae21

Meeting neighbors
and as stupid as it sounds the only syringe i could find in this whole house was like a 1 ml syringe so i HAD to take it slow lol. (sent hubby to walgreens to pick up a bigger one lol)

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
and as stupid as it sounds the only syringe i could find in this whole house was like a 1 ml syringe so i HAD to take it slow lol. (sent hubby to walgreens to pick up a bigger one lol)
Not stupid, resourceful!!! :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
GWs in general are very aggressive birds and that translates to their syringe feeding. When a young macaw is really feeding they PUMP big time - that's a good thing.

natalierae21

Meeting neighbors
lol it was all i had and i knew he had to eat something. he just picks at everything else. i blended him up some baked pumpkin, apple juice, peanut butter and a few almonds with some cinnamon and i think he liked it. but i lost count of syringes i gave him so just check his crop and it seemed good. also somthing odd is hes lost about 5-6 feathers where is crop is so i can pretty much just lift a few feathers and see it. is this okay? also is the little squeak normal when i give him a syringe?

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Omg :lol: 1mL and a GW. Oh, hon, I think you need some 40mL. I hope the pharmacy at least had some 10s for you.

natalierae21

Meeting neighbors
hehe thanks :geek:
how many ML does anyone think i should be giving him at a feeding?
until i get a bigger syringe ill just measure it out before i feed lol maybe then ill know whats enough for the guy.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
He should be getting 60-90 ml per feeding (3x per day) right now - the bird has malnutrition and needs to make up for lost ground. The mixture you are feeding is good, but I hope hubby is picking up some extra firm tofu at the store. Tofu is easy to digest and very high in protein. You can add it to your mixture.

Don't forget we need 1st big honking poop from the morning.

natalierae21

Meeting neighbors
okay great. ill have him go to WM to grab some. i got another poo pic from after being hand fed and it looks great im working on up loading it my phone is acting up. with the little 1 ml syringe i fed him with he was taking it without me holding him and him bobbing. since its a little at a time i thought this was okay?

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
okay great. ill have him go to WM to grab some. i got another poo pic from after being hand fed and it looks great im working on up loading it my phone is acting up. with the little 1 ml syringe i fed him with he was taking it without me holding him and him bobbing. since its a little at a time i thought this was okay?
Great poop news!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sounds like much better poop. Don't panic about every little thing we tell you to do. Get the tofu when it is convenient.

You and Monte are doing great - he will be your love/buddy for decades to come.

natalierae21

Meeting neighbors
thanks Mary i do panic about every little thing lol. im a new macaw mommy never had one only a mean old Umbrella before. my hubby tells me the same thing :embarassed: i just want to be sure Monte is okay i dont wanna lost the him. (dramatic, i know lol) better safe than sorry i guess right :) and yes his poo was still moist and mushy. thanks for being real nothing better in my opinion :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Not dramatic - many AA members have lost their bird because they didn't pay close enough attention. I will guarantee you that panicking NEVER does anyone any good. With the bird you have to be the one with your head straight on your shoulders.

Two words that set my teeth on edge are "panic" and "freaking out" - there is no value in either.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
thanks Mary i do panic about every little thing lol. im a new macaw mommy never had one only a mean old Umbrella before. my hubby tells me the same thing :embarassed: i just want to be sure Monte is okay i dont wanna lost the him. (dramatic, i know lol) better safe than sorry i guess right :) and yes his poo was still moist and mushy. thanks for being real nothing better in my opinion :)
It's okay. :) I know how you feel. We're here for you, please remember that! :) Poos sound fab! Is it time for my great poopy dance?? I think so:
:dance4: :dance4: Monte is pooping well finally!!
:dance4: :dance4: :dance4: He's gonna be okay, and he's gonna eat like a big pig!!

natalierae21

Meeting neighbors
agreed! im a huge worry wort lol. but like you said, people have lost their birds for not paying close enough attention. i just need to find a cool medium with Monte and his health lol. ready to see something consistently with him.