• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

4 MONTH OLD YOUNG BUDGIE HAD EGGS?! HELP PLEASE URGENT

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
hello, i am this accounts owners friend and will be posting this on hers since i dont have an account yet and this is an urgent matter. and i have 2 budgies. originally i had one budgie, snowie and then got another budgie, sunnie. at first i thought snowie was a boy because i got him when he was young. then i got sunnie which is also a boy who is older about a year old. a month later, snowie had eggs. yes, EGGS. they have a coconut hut and i didnt know they could use it for a nest... and now i know that snowie was actually a girl NOT a boy like i wanted. i didnt plan for this to happen as i thought both were boys and wham! eggs from snowie. i candled them and theyre fertile. snowie is sitting on them. i know its from snowie because sunnie is a boy as i checked with my vet and his cere does indicate. i did get snowie checked and they determined a boy at the vets but they werent sure since "he" was too young at that time. thats the story. now for some questions that i really need answered. BTW, SNOWIE IS 5 MONTHS WHICH IS TOO YOUNG TO HAVE EGGS, I AM EDUCATED. i did NOT plan for this to happen.

1. hypothetically, if the eggs were to hatch, would some have deformities/not be healthy because the mother is so young? for example, would they be smaller, be more prone to health issues, etc, etc.
2. should i remove the eggs? im scared that snowie will be tempted to lay more eggs if i do remove the eggs and deplete her calcium levels and get sick.
3. not a question but an extra note: i AM willing to step in incase snowie and sunnie will not take care of babies. i HAVE hand fed baby budgies before.

please answer fast please! help much aprecciated! thank you!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
IMO for the sake of your budgies' health and well being, you should make the eggs infertile. This is a simple thing to do and people more knowledgeable than I can tell you how, or you can replace the current eggs with fake eggs (preferable).

Your girl is too young to raise babies and there are too many birds in bad situations already.

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I'm not sure if it's too late for this clutch but you should buy some dummy eggs. Even if it's too late, you should still buy some for the future DummyEggs.com, Dummy Eggs Help Stop Egg Laying in Pet Birds! Fake Eggs, Solid Plastic Eggs in all sizes.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable chimes in soon to help.
IMO for the sake of your budgies' health and well being, you should make the eggs infertile. This is a simple thing to do and people more knowledgeable than I can tell you how, or you can replace the current eggs with fake eggs (preferable).

Your girl is too young to raise babies and there are too many birds in bad situations already.
its been a week and 5 days in and snowie is still sitting on the eggs and going back and forth to eat, etc. will making the eggs infertile still be possible? i know the full incubation process is atleast 18 days and 12 days have been passed. i can hand feed and care for them, etc because i have experience in raising day 1 budgie babies. although i will make sure to remove the coconut hut after all of this.

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
also wanted to ask again, if the eggs DID hatch, will the babies be in any way deformed, or more prone to diseases, etc since the hen is young?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
What colour is the cere (skin over their beaks)? Pinkish/brown is a girl and blueish is a boy and the colour usually only develops after 6 months+. Are you sure Snowie is only 5 months old? As far as I know there is no way to make an egg infertile short of destroying it.

I don't have budgies but the above info is basic - the fids that have bred in my flock are tiels and gccs. I have also fostered budgies.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Like said you really should abort the eggs and substitute dummy eggs. Either boil the eggs for put in freezer. Give her extra calcium like crushed, cleaned and baked egg shells in her food dish. Bake in over for 30 min. at about 200.

Niran Jay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Niran Jay
Hey there. OK, so I own a few budgies and have hand raised quite a few chicks myself. The budgie breeding age minimal is about 6 months, so since she is five I don't think you should have any major problems with the eggs. However, a mother that young and inexperienced may not bad able to raise the babies correctly and may even resort to plucking the babies feathers. In these cases you will have to pull the babies from the nest and raise them yourself. Just keep a very close eye on her if the babies hatch to make sure she is caring for them properly. Feeding them all, keeping them warm, not plucking them etc. It the bird appears to be flustered by the babies or neglecting them at all take the babies out. The make also has to help feed her once she Starts incubating the whole clutch seriously. If the male appears uninterested in helping the female (usually he will feed her or the babies when they are old enough) you may want to help the female by putting food in her reach, like in the nest, so she doesn't have to stop incubating or keeping the chicks warm to eat. If you don't want babies replace the eggs with fakes or she will most likely lay more.
Hope this helps,
-Niran

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
its been a week and 5 days in and snowie is still sitting on the eggs and going back and forth to eat, etc. will making the eggs infertile still be possible? i know the full incubation process is atleast 18 days and 12 days have been passed. i can hand feed and care for them, etc because i have experience in raising day 1 budgie babies. although i will make sure to remove the coconut hut after all of this.
At this point in time you will need to let the chips fall where they may. After 12 days they will be partially developed. They should have been destroyed/replaced immediately after they were laid.

Now your going to have a mortality issue on your hands. You can be certain they will need to be hand fed if they hatch if the hen is that young ( I also tend to think she's older than you thought).

If they survive, lesson learned. If they don't, lesson learned.

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Good luck to you, I would prepare to raise the chicks now.

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
At this point in time you will need to let the chips fall where they may. After 12 days they will be partially developed. They should have been destroyed/replaced immediately after they were laid.

Now your going to have a mortality issue on your hands. You can be certain they will need to be hand fed if they hatch if the hen is that young ( I also tend to think she's older than you thought).

If they survive, lesson learned. If they don't, lesson learned.
yes i shouldve replaced the eggs at day one. i will not be giving the babies away and i will be responsible since this was my fault. i will take care of the babies and dispose of the coconut hut thank you :)

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hey there. OK, so I own a few budgies and have hand raised quite a few chicks myself. The budgie breeding age minimal is about 6 months, so since she is five I don't think you should have any major problems with the eggs. However, a mother that young and inexperienced may not bad able to raise the babies correctly and may even resort to plucking the babies feathers. In these cases you will have to pull the babies from the nest and raise them yourself. Just keep a very close eye on her if the babies hatch to make sure she is caring for them properly. Feeding them all, keeping them warm, not plucking them etc. It the bird appears to be flustered by the babies or neglecting them at all take the babies out. The make also has to help feed her once she Starts incubating the whole clutch seriously. If the male appears uninterested in helping the female (usually he will feed her or the babies when they are old enough) you may want to help the female by putting food in her reach, like in the nest, so she doesn't have to stop incubating or keeping the chicks warm to eat. If you don't want babies replace the eggs with fakes or she will most likely lay more.
Hope this helps,
-Niran
thanks for your response! i will keep eyes on the eggs. i will have to remove the coconut hut so they dont lay anymore. is a feeding needle (feeding tube) better than a folded spoon? i have only used the folded spoon so i wanted to ask in advance. thanks :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How many eggs?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Dont remove or touch the nest now. She could be older n chicks should be ok defect wise. She laid the eggs n has been sitting n they are developing.
You dont want to disturb her now
If she has trouble feeding them its good you can help.