• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

4 MONTH OLD YOUNG BUDGIE HAD EGGS?! HELP PLEASE URGENT

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Dont remove or touch the nest now. She could be older n chicks should be ok defect wise. She laid the eggs n has been sitting n they are developing.
You dont want to disturb her now
If she has trouble feeding them its good you can help.
oh ok thanks! should i do anything else to help snowie?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Just make sure she is getting good nutrition. Sometimes the mate will feed her. You can move food and water closer to her.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The youngest budgie mother I've heard of I think was 6 weeks old? She literally started a family right after being weaned!

Recommended??? Not at all! Ideally, better to wait until 1+ years old.

The parents should be on a diet that consists of seeds, pellets, and, at minimum, vegetables. If they aren't eating healthy now, then please expand their diet! A seed only diet is not healthy for them! Nor is a pellet only diet! They need variety!

You can indeed feed with a spoon, but it may be easier to feed with various sized syringes (you'll need multiple syringes of various sizes - not just 1 or 2 of various sizes, but 30+), especially when the chicks are younger. As they get older and larger, it's easier to feed with the spoon then. (just due to size differences - if you want to feed with a bent spoon)

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
The youngest budgie mother I've heard of I think was 6 weeks old? She literally started a family right after being weaned!

Recommended??? Not at all! Ideally, better to wait until 1+ years old.

The parents should be on a diet that consists of seeds, pellets, and, at minimum, vegetables. If they aren't eating healthy now, then please expand their diet! A seed only diet is not healthy for them! Nor is a pellet only diet! They need variety!

You can indeed feed with a spoon, but it may be easier to feed with various sized syringes (you'll need multiple syringes of various sizes - not just 1 or 2 of various sizes, but 30+), especially when the chicks are younger. As they get older and larger, it's easier to feed with the spoon then. (just due to size differences - if you want to feed with a bent spoon)
thank you so much!:) i am trying to convert my budgies diet into eating pellets and veggies but they sure are stubborn. can you tell me some ways that are more fun for them to convert? ive tried hanging the greens up, mixing a bit of pellet with seed, etc. nothing works :(

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
If the mother was healthy and she takes care of them, the babies should NOT be adversely affected at all. The health risks of them breeding so young is mainly to the mother. But, budgies in the wild do breed that young when conditions are right (they are adapted to breed quickly during the infrequent rainy seasons). The only likely issue would be that the new parents might not get it right and might not incubate or feed properly, resulting in stunted babies if you do not help out, but budgies are usually good parents. However, I might try the dummy eggs and replacing a few of the real eggs with fakes to make it easier on the new parents to care for the babies.
And, of course, provide lots of food, lots of their favorites as well as veggies, sprouted seed and other soft foods, egg food or hard boiled egg, and calcium sources.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Wow, few more days til they hatch?
Exciting.

Maybe make some birdy muffins with goodies in them like crushed pellets,veggies, kale, egg shells etc.

Good Luck