• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

4 month old lovebird and maturity

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
As some of you may know I raised a baby lovebird named Bambi and you all helped me raise her with your great advice . I am also raising my boyfriends 2 lovebird babies and I am a little confused about Bambi’s behavior towards them. She regurgitates food when she sees them, tried climbing on top to keep warm and has even tried picking their casings off to help their feathers sprout. She’s only 4 months old so I am a little co fused about the behavior because I thought lovebirds matured after a year. Is this normal? She’s not one bit aggressive towards them only caring like a mother and just minds her business other times while enjoying their company

Attachments

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
As some of you may know I raised a baby lovebird named Bambi and you all helped me raise her with your great advice . I am also raising my boyfriends 2 lovebird babies and I am a little confused about Bambi’s behavior towards them. She regurgitates food when she sees them, tried climbing on top to keep warm and has even tried picking their casings off to help their feathers sprout. She’s only 4 months old so I am a little co fused about the behavior because I thought lovebirds matured after a year. Is this normal? She’s not one bit aggressive towards them only caring like a mother and just minds her business other times while enjoying their company
Also she lightly nibbles around their eyes and I’m not sure if this is bad or good behavior but I take her away when she starts doing that

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sounds like she´s picking her mate. Preening the feathers, and around the eyes is a bonding thing.

How old are these chicks now?
My Adelies sister, who doesn´t live with me, did this with a chick of the other bird in their house. She chose a fledged chick, preened it like a mother would, fed it, then later when the chick was older they bonded.

Gentle preening is good - rough picking is bad. Monitor closely.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Sounds like she´s picking her mate. Preening the feathers, and around the eyes is a bonding thing.

How old are these chicks now?
My Adelies sister, who doesn´t live with me, did this with a chick of the other bird in their house. She chose a fledged chick, preened it like a mother would, fed it, then later when the chick was older they bonded.

Gentle preening is good - rough picking is bad. Monitor closely.
The chicks are about 5-6 weeks old now . They are in the weaning stage . But yes, Bambi exhibited all those behaviors. Isn’t 5 or 6 weeks too young for her ? Haha

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Also I forgot to mention they are siblings! Bambi’ came from the same parents just different clutches.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Isn’t 5 or 6 weeks too young for her ?
You would think so but I don´t think animals see it that way. I do not know.Just be sure she is playing nice with them and not pushing them. Don´t allow her to try mating either until the little ones are at least 4-5 months old. If she is being a nuisance, you will have to keep her away.

Also I forgot to mention they are siblings! Bambi’ came from the same parents just different clutches.
Be sure that if you allow them to pair, you don´t breed them.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
You would think so but I don´t think animals see it that way. I do not know.Just be sure she is playing nice with them and not pushing them. Don´t allow her to try mating either until the little ones are at least 4-5 months old. If she is being a nuisance, you will have to keep her away.

Be sure that if you allow them to pair, you don´t breed them.
For sure , I wouldn’t want them. Thank you for the feedback I just wanted to make sure because I was very curious about the whole thing since she is still so young

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
As long as Bambi is being friendly and the little one is ok with the interactions, they are ok.

Do your adults not preen each others eyes? It goes through me just watching them :lol: I have a thing with eyes - very sensitive!

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
As long as Bambi is being friendly and the little one is ok with the interactions, they are ok.

Do your adults not preen each others eyes? It goes through me just watching them :lol: I have a thing with eyes - very sensitive!
Lol every once in a while I rarely ever see them doing it. Usually they curl up next to each other and preen each other