• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

4 month old Linnie molting, any pointers for a newbie???

SpecialK

Sitting on the front steps
Hi, I'm a new Linnie mom and Vinny is going through his first molt. I'm concerned about all the pin feathers on his head! He loves "scritches" so should I just scratch his head and give him daily showers for the itching? I'm so scared he might bleed. Advice please, thanks!!!

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Yes, showers are great and so is preening him. Roll the pins between your fingers until the sheath comes off. If it hurts, he will let you know.

SpecialK

Thank you, I guess I'm scared most of bleeding. What causes bleeding? I've read some horror stories!

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I've never had a linnie have a problem with a broken blood feather, so I don't know. If your bird indicates that what you are doing hurts, stop and move on to another area.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! :greet13:

After a bath Gigi sometimes allows me to preen her pins just as @Matto explained. I wrap her up lightly in a little towel with her head out. I know it's OK with her because she often dips her head to give me a better angle. After a few minutes she will wriggle out and fly away. Then I'll try another day.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a vine foraging pouch in my conures cage.
20210813_115129.jpg

It is near one of her perches and she likes to rub herself against this during her molt allows her to get to hard to reach places as well.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
I personally do not seem to have the "touch" for helping with pins. Every time I try (more than one species) they let me know after about 3 seconds that I'm not welcome! So I figured out they were happy enough if I used the tips of my fingers to "crack" the wax, basically pinching a couple places on each one (most people can roll, I have to pinch, lol), and then they sluff off more easily by the bird or with a bath.

The blood feathers mean they're still growing in, it might be hard to tell on these smaller birds. I'd say if it looks shorter than a full grown length, leave it alone. Better safe than sorry.

SpecialK

I have a vine foraging pouch in my conures cage.
View attachment 391110

It is near one of her perches and she likes to rub herself against this during her molt allows her to get to hard to reach places as well.
What type of conure is Wardy? He's very handsome!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What type of conure is Wardy? He's very handsome!
I am Wardy the conure in my Avatar is Mojo she is a high red pineapple green cheek.

20210729_175328.jpg

I also have KiKi a yellow side green cheek will have had her for two weeks tomorrow.

20210801_133022.jpg

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
@Wardy can I draw you a new picture since you have two birds now? Pleeeeeeeaaaaase?

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Thank you !!

SpecialK

I am Wardy the conure in my Avatar is Mojo she is a high red pineapple green cheek.

View attachment 391140

I also have KiKi a yellow side green cheek will have had her for two weeks tomorrow.

View attachment 391141
Mojo, is the first Pineapple I've seen. I've had Nanday conures, Billy, Silly, and their baby, Baby. They are clowns, like Linnies.Have fun with your new baby, Kiki!

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Hi, I'm a new Linnie mom and Vinny is going through his first molt. I'm concerned about all the pin feathers on his head! He loves "scritches" so should I just scratch his head and give him daily showers for the itching? I'm so scared he might bleed. Advice please, thanks!!!
Yes, frequent baths and scritches can help alleviate some of the itchiness. I would take it slow to avoid bleeding and would be wary of scritching sensitive spots. For Oscar those were the sides of his head and right above his cere. Another thing that I find is good to do during any molt is boost calcium, you can do it through cuttlebone or dark leafy greens and broccoli. All this effort is worth it though, Vinny is going to look so beautiful when he is done his molt! :heart:

SpecialK

Yes, frequent baths and scritches can help alleviate some of the itchiness. I would take it slow to avoid bleeding and would be wary of scritching sensitive spots. For Oscar those were the sides of his head and right above his cere. Another thing that I find is good to do during any molt is boost calcium, you can do it through cuttlebone or dark leafy greens and broccoli. All this effort is worth it though, Vinny is going to look so beautiful when he is done his molt! :heart:
Thank you! He's a sweetheart, I Love Linnies❤

SpecialK

Hi everyone, I need to board Vinny for 10 days and want to make the best decision. Any advice? I have found a vet tech at a vet that will keep him in her home. She has parakeets so I feel like she would be able to handle any situation that might arise. My other choice would be letting Vinny stay at home alone with someone checking on him twice a day. I'm home with him all the time and he is very spoiled, lots of attention! I'm leaning towards boarding him so he won't be lonesome but am afraid he might pick up bird "germs" from the boarder's birds. Opinions, please!