• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

4 Month Old Cockatiel Questions

PipTheBird

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sadie
(Please let me know if this in the wrong thread! If so, I apologize and I'll move it to the appropriate one.)
Hello! I just joined this site recently, mainly to ask a few questions about my Cockatiel.
My boyfriend and I just got a 4 month old one a week ago, and he's technically our first bird. Ive had birds in the past, but they were mostly already grown when my family and I received them. Ive been noticing his behavior, and was wondering if this is normal behavior of a baby cockatiel;
1) He gets pretty puffy when he sits on our shoulders (My boyfriend pointed out that if birds are *always* puffy, it could be a bad sign. But Im assuming it may be because he's still young.)
2) While puffed up, he sometimes has one eye closed while having another open. This worried me for a bit, as Ive heard they could get eye infections.
3) He's not used to utilizing his feet and beak to move himself around in his cage. He also has a bit of poor balancing, and sometimes accidentally falls off his perches. I'm again assuming its because he's young and still learning, but I'd like to be sure.
Thanks in advance for any feedback. I know I may sound like a first-time parent, I just wanna make sure I give this little guy a good life. If anyone's curious, here's a pic of the little fluff ball. :)

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome :hiya:
Congratulations on your new feathered family member!!
Most of us here will recommended a vet check up with an AV for a new bird.
Young birds are often unsteady on their feet but I’m not sure what most 4 month old cockatiels are like so hopefully others with more experience with them will he along soon to offer some advice.
@Monica @Tiel Feathers @sunnysmom @cassiesdad might be able to offer you more help :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
A vet check wouldn't hurt! :)

It may be all normal behavior for your new baby, and the vet check can be used for a standard for all future checks! :D

Saying that, young birds and birds that are clipped are often rather clumsy! (some unclipped birds are also clumsy!)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I'll third the vote for vet check for the little one, it's great to have beginning medical time line. Baby cockatiels can be clumsy.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It sounds like he’s content when sitting with you and gets puffy and relaxed, but he still feels like leaving one eye open to make sure everything is safe. Baby cockatiels are very clumsy, so that sounds normal too. Getting a vet check still is a good idea, however. He’s awfully cute btw! :heart:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and congrats on the new addition. :)

Young birds are notoriously a bit clumsy (or sometimes a lot clumsy)...they're getting used to their new home and the environment. When he's sitting on your shoulders, it sounds like he's just getting comfortable there.

Go forward with your plans for a vet visit...preferably with an vet with avian experience, if at all possible...;)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Cockatiels will bring joy to your life. We are all suggesting a wellness check by avian vet at this time. Are the flight feathers cut?
How is the bird eating and what is he eating?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. Baby tiels tend to be clumsy. You may want to lower his perches and put his food and water where he can easily reach them. Puffing up on your shoulder can be a sign of contentment but as suggested, a vet check is a good idea with any new bird.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Welcome Sadie and Pip! :welcomesign: