• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

4 Fertile Cockatiel eggs from 4 to 6 days old (Approximately)

BreezyTiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erica
All eggs have noticeable veining except for the most recent lay, the 5th egg, which was laid only 2 days ago.
I know that these embryos are very young, and they could still die before hatching, but regardless I'm really happy that things are going well so far. Now I have my answer that my Charlie is indeed a male. Princess is a very attentive mother. She only leaves the nestbox like twice in a 12 hour period. Charlie shuffled the eggs around before so we're keeping them separated for fear he'll harm the embryos. Other than that, everything is going well

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Wait, you seperated the male and female?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sounds like an external nesting box.

@BreezyTiel I hope you are prepared. I would strongly advise that you go now and buy every single thing you may need for the next two months. This includes, bedding (wood shavings), 2x large tubs formula, feeding spoon, heat pad, brooder, seeds, pellets, frozen veggies, small towels (I use tea towels that are for birds only), thermometre, digi scale, disinfectant and a first aid kit containing pedialite, quik stop, swabs etc
@Mockinbirdiva did I miss something off the list?

I would recommend this for anyone breeding but you more-so because when the time comes and you need something, you may not be able to get it.
Just recently there was a post here, someone couldn´t repurchase their formula due to dwindling stock.

Also call your vet and see what the situation is there, let them know what is going on, and that you may be ok but just want to know what the deal is. Some vets are closing, some are staying open and others are adopting a wait-in-your-car system. It is important you know because it is too natural to just race to the vet and barge in in the event of an emergency, and if they have the car system in place you could be putting someone at risk.

My question is... why are the parents split up if they have eggs?
Quoted what I wrote in the other thread in case you missed it.

BreezyTiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erica
What was the reason for it though?
@Zara Male was being somewhat aggressive and pushy towards the female After mating.After the eggs were laid, we let him go in and investigate the nestbox and he scattered the eggs about. For fear that he might harm the eggs, they are separated.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
But is the female getting enough food?And does she want the male?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
They do roll the eggs a few times a day so the chick grows normally. If they don't get rolled the chicks will need medical help when they hatch. Moving eggs around is not a reason to remove a parent. Also Charlie would be feeding mother to help her feed the chicks and keep her own energy up.

BreezyTiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erica
Yes she has a food and water dish in her cage and another set in her nestbox. We also added celery, oats, and lettuce to a bowl in her cage whenever she comes out for breaks. She has a cuttlefish bone perch and other mineral small mineral Blocks as well.

BreezyTiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erica
They do roll the eggs a few times a day so the chick grows normally. If they don't get rolled the chicks will need medical help when they hatch. Moving eggs around is not a reason to remove a parent. Also Charlie would be feeding mother to help her feed the chicks and keep her own energy up.
@Ripshod Another reason for removal is the fact that Charlie would peck Princess quite regularly, even before they started mating and my mom (and i ) felt that it was stressing her out. He's always exhibited what I interpret to be a dominating behavior towards my ever so tolerant hen.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
What size is this nestbox? Are you ready with everything (syringes, spoons, formula, brooder, vet on speed dial etc etc)?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They do roll the eggs a few times a day so the chick grows normally. If they don't get rolled the chicks will need medical help when they hatch.
The egg rolling part of incubation absolutely fascinates me. How intellegent these birds are to do this so well is incredible. :)

Another reason for removal is the fact that Charlie would peck Princess quite regularly, even before they started mating and my mom (and i ) felt that it was stressing her out. He's always exhibited what I interpret to be a dominating behavior towards my ever so tolerant hen.
A cock like is not the best candidate for breeding.
If you thought he was stressing her out, I don´t understand why you allowed it to continue... all in the hopes of chicks.

Yes she has a food and water dish in her cage and another set in her nestbox. We also added celery, oats, and lettuce to a bowl in her cage whenever she comes out for breaks. She has a cuttlefish bone perch and other mineral small mineral Blocks as well.
Is she eating pellets?
Introduce darker green foods. Celery and lettuce are ok, but really Kale, broccoli, carrot, peppers and exotic fruits are better choices.

What size is this nestbox? Are you ready with everything (syringes, spoons, formula, brooder, vet on speed dial etc etc)?
I did mention this on comment 3 with no response to that :(

I also forgot to ask about if you have a mentor. But quite honestly I don´t even know how that would work with social distancing.

Being very blunt, and I mean no offense, I just don´t think now was the time to start back yard breeding. Those eggs were laid within the last two weeks, and with all that is going on in the world, paired with your inexperience, it may have been better to switch those eggs out, and hold off breeding until next time when hopefully there is more normality and you can access materials you will need, the birds are eating better, their relationship may be better and you can see a mentor face to face to help you etc.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
A female cannot support herself while sitting on eggs. She needs a male. Sitting on eggs is stressful, she needs someone to feed her. This will become even more important when the chicks hatch. If the male is too aggressive, then he should not be breeding.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
But is the female getting enough food?And does she want the male?
Good point. And the male scattering the eggs could be just awkward clumsiness, trying to settle in with the eggs and all that.

The problem with backyard or indiscriminate breeding is just this. People don't know what they don't know. Finding a mentor, spending a breeding season volunteering in their aviary and then not breeding until the next year makes more sense but nobody ever does it that way. They breed, do not understand the behavior or signs they see, and babies suffer or die. Just my 2 cents.

Erica -- I raise smaller birds so I could be wrong but I don't see veining in an egg that has only incubated for 2 days. It has to be at least 4,5.

also I would not rely on cuttlebone as a calcium source. It does have calcium but it's difficult for their bodies to absorb. I assume you're giving her fresh hard boiled eggs -- let her eat the shells. Also get a calcium supplement that dissolves in water and give her that. She needs tons of calcium right now.

And I hope you've got really thick skin because a lot here will discourage you from breeding. I'm in fact one of them - I would prefer that people didn't breed cockatiels in the US, since there are so many in rescue already. But if you hang around, we also can answer your questions (and perhaps help someone else who comes along and reads the thread).

Hey Sam @PufF it's good to see you.

BreezyTiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erica
Erica -- I raise smaller birds so I could be wrong but I don't see veining in an egg that has only incubated for 2 days. It has to be at least 4,5.
@finchly I know, that's why I said "except the 5th egg, which was laid 2 days ago." The other 4 are 4 plus days old and have veining.

Calling me and others "Backyard Breeders" is offensive and inaccurate. A "backyard breeder" doesn't care about the well being of their animals. I care about the well-being of my animals. I may be a bit uneducated right now, but I'm a lot more educated than I was 2 years ago, when I first tried out this site and was met with the same responses. Everyone starts somewhere. Steven Hawking wasn't born a scientific genius. Neither was Einstein or Tesla. Shakespere wasn't born a top class
play write.. etc etc.

And no, I have formula but I don't have a brooder or an avian vet.

As far as comments about Princess needing Charlie in there with her, I will consider that.

As far as Adding Kale and Carrot, I will do that. & Yes, we offer her hard boiled eggs but she doesn't really eat them.

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I just don´t think now was the time to start back yard breeding.
Hey! How come you can get away with byb comment and I can't??? :p

A "backyard breeder" doesn't care about the well being of their animals
Select the other option then - indiscriminate. It's what you're doing, isn't it? So you've been breeding for 2 years and still have these problems, have you been breeding this same pair the whole time? Or do you have others.

Wait. I just re-read. You 'let' the male into the nest box (if it is a box) and he scattered the eggs -- could you just be hovering too much? Maybe they want to be left alone. It is hard to say.

Not having a brooder is risky, you can make one from a small aquarium and a heating pad or very small bulb. Or, brooders (which are better because the temp is regulated) can be purchased on Amazon for about $85.

Not having an avian vet is frightening, I assume you've checked around? Association of Avian Veterinarians

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I believe the brooder is not needed @finchly as this was a breeding session that was going to be totally in natures hands, however, I fail to see how you could describe or liken it to nature with all the mentioned interference of humans for their own wants, interest or satisfaction but not for the baby birds needs.

I may have misunderstood in other posts (I really hope so!) or missed the correction (if there was one) but I do believe that if there is problems then nature will take over.