• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

3month old conure

Pico

Checking out the neighborhood
Please help!! We have a new 3month old conure who adores my son and snuggles before bed. Last night he was worried and scared as “Pico” was sleeping on his chest so comfortably it was time put him away in cage for the night he was so limp like if he was dead!!!! My son did wake him up and like nothing happened. Is this a normal thing when a bird is so comfortable he’s in a deep sleep? This has happened in past with other conures. He’s a happy lil guy loves family

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
I'll just give you my experience...
Used to take my Senegal, Ricky to bed w/ me. Would sleep on my chest, and then if I wanted to turn over, I'd grab him to put him on the up-side [still under the covers]. Repeat if I turned over. He was very relaxed and allowing when I did this.
I would only take him to bed if I WASN'T too tired. One time, I rolled over on top of him... AND HE DIDN'T MOVE!!! If I hadn't woken up, I would have crushed him! So now, it's pretty rare that I bring him along to bed.

On the Johnny Carson show, years ago, I remember a show where they had a guy bring his pet conure. Unfortunately, the guy stayed at a hotel the night before, and crushed his baby! It happens...

I used to have a night perch at the end of the bed where my birds would roost... One time, they had 'night-frights'... Was not pretty...

Pico

Used to take my Senegal, Ricky to bed w/ me. Would sleep on my chest, and then if I wanted to turn over, I'd grab him to put him on the up-side [still under the covers]. Repeat if I turned over. He was very relaxed and allowing when I did this.
I would only take him to bed if I WASN'T too tired. One time, I rolled over on top of him... AND HE DIDN'T MOVE!!! If I hadn't woken up, I would have crushed him! So now, it's pretty rare that I bring him along to bed.

On the Johnny Carson show, years ago, I remember a show where they had a guy bring his pet conure. Unfortunately, the guy stayed at a hotel the night before, and crushed his baby! It happens...

I used to have a night perch at the end of the bed where my birds would roost... One time, they had 'night-frights'... Was not pretty...

Thanks for the advice :) we do not allow taking him to bed so as we call it cuddle time before Pico goes in his cage for the night. He loves going into shirts and doing what we call a hot pocket move. He was sleeping in his shirt on chest as my son is watching tv. Have you heard of this before?

Pico

I’m new to this forum don’t know which way I should go and hopefully hear from others with green cheek conures. We brought home a 3month old on Sunday ADORABLE and last night as my son was having snuggle moments before putting Pico back in his cage for the night he loves crawling into shirts and sleeping on my sons chest. When it was time put him away Pico was so relaxed he was limp and finally woke up. He is happy jolly active lil buddy. I’m scared about this and him not waking up!!! Any ideas or thoughts? Is it safe for them have these snuggle moments?

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
Our little Essie did this for a while -- about 4 months or so. At first it was full on burrow in and nap (and yes, very much like the sleep of the dead :eek: freaked my wife out to the core the first time she saw it). As she matured it became burrow and explore. Pretty harmless, so long as we kept track of where she was.

Then summer came here in Georgia, I stopped wearing hoodies and jackets and she mostly stopped.

She'll still occasionally duck into my wife's blouse when she's wearing a loose one, so some of that may return when we hit jacket weather, but crawling in for a long nap is probably a thing of the past . . .

Pico

Any idea why they go limp like a rag doll? We r freaked out!!! PANIC mode…. So burrow into his shirt sleeping and turning into this deep sleep is fine? I worry stops breathing

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
All I can say is she did the same. In fact, my thumbnail pic is one of those cases -- she'd crawled in my hoodie and up under my beard. About a half hour in I was getting warm so CAAAAArefully pealed off the hoodie and my wife took that pic. About 5 minutes after that, she stirred and was rather annoyed the world had gotten colder.

She would start to stir if we handled her, but once in deep sleep she was fully out and slow to rouse. As I said, it badly freaked out my wife the first time. We'd lost a Cockatiel a short time before, and seeing Essie sleeping like that she burst into tears. Essie stirred at the commotion, groggily looked around, then crawled deeper into my jacket and promptly went back to sleep :p Little stinker.

. . . So, no, as long as the jacket/shirt is reasonably breathable, Pico is just fine. Take care he isn't accidentally crushed (I'm sure you're doing that), but otherwise he's fine.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cant say i have seen this from either of my conures however i dont allow them ( well one of them the other is not confident enough to interact with us so much yet ) to snuggle/hide in this manner

The above is worth having a read.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@webchirp do you have any experience of this ?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I've never had any sleep that deep but each one is individual.